All Topics / Help Needed! / neg gearing

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

HI Kp,

I do agree ‘never say never’ and if the time did arrive when there was a federal government rethink on the ‘negative gearing’ rules it would require some adjustment to my investment plans, timelines etc. – however all things being equal I find it difficult to imagine that I would not be still buying property.

Overseas is an interesting comparison – information (a little dated now) I have seen suggests that 8% of the Australian population lives in ‘public housing’ whereas the overseas ‘norm’ is 20% of the population living in public housing. I am sure the bean counter have factored this into their calculations along with the increased funds collected through changes to CGT and the imposition of GST when considering the long term future of ‘negative gearing’.

I also suspect the Federal Governments are very aware that a number of ‘close to retirees’ have a far wack of their wealth in residential property and as such ‘tinkering’ with related tax laws could create fallout in other areas.

As happened in the mid eighties the ‘herd’ stopped buying and/or left property – whereas seasoned, more informed investors kept buying. The growth rates in property values remained largely unaffected and continued their upward momentum during this two year period (albeit a couple of cities were flatish at the time) and ‘surged’ when the herd reentered the market in late 87.

At the same time rental returns were very high (around 10%) for metropolitan properties. Between high rent returns and depreciation claims a number of educated investors would have been cashflow popsitive anyway. Bear in mind the interest costs were the only disallowed claims – costs such as rates, taxes, management fees etc were still claimable.

But – to cut a long story short – at the end of the day property needs to be selected based on what it adds to our portfolio and not on tax benefits and over time rents do rise in actively managed properties.

Having said that I am quite comfortable using some of my money to create an asset base for my future. Jan Somers likens it to planting a seed, watering it, waiting and then harvesting the benefits in the future – and I have more than one tree to cover the untimely death of any other tree [exhappy].

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

kp,

Rents are high in the urban centre of sydney, and with depreciation, 7% is achievable.

I personally don;t care if negative gearing rules change- more money perhaps put into public housing as a result? But the exit duty didn’t result in a commitment to more public housing by the State, so perhaps the money from the abolition of negative gearing might just result in more warships- who knows?

As to my strategy… well, I don’t have one. I just mosey along and attempt to pay off my mortgages. Pay rises assist.

I have an old-fashioned strategy of working to pay off properties quickly. I have an aim of owning about 8 properties during my lifetime- it’s modest to some, but it’s my reality. I’m not in this for some kind of competition. Modest aims and modest outcomes.

Tax rules do change over time- I have no issue with that- it’s part of the landscape. If neg gearing is gone, then I just have to work a bit harder to pay off properties. No big deal.

kay henry

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Thanks Derek and Kay for the responses.

Appreciate your replies.

I was thinking of yield as rent vs market price, hence 3% being more in the order for a capital city.

DD,
    So its Brizzy…what a coincidence as we will be there later this week…maybe I will PM you..

KP

Profile photo of DDDD
    @dd

Got you covered KP, check your email.

DD[biggrin]

Don’t sweat the small stuff,and it’s all small stuff!!

@kay-henry

kp said:

“rent vs market price, hence 3% being more in the order for a capital city.”

I don’t know who is getting 3% or on what kind of property in, say sydney, but in the market I know, 6% – based on weekly rental : purchase price, is easily achievable. I think if people are buying now and getting only 3%, they could do much much better.

Rents in particular areas are significantly high in sydney.

kay henry

Profile photo of calvin_thirty4calvin_thirty4
    Participant
    @calvin_thirty4

Hi all,
    doesn’t -ve gearing mean you have to loose and can claim back a max of 48.5 cents in each Dollar?! So that would mean, converseley, that +ve gearing means you pay a maximum of 48.5 cents in every Dollar?!
    One you loose 51.5 cents/dollar and the other you keep 51.5 cents/ dollar.
    I know this is basic, but in times like this, would this not be the main emphasis of ones investing? CG is great when the market gets up and boogeys, no denying that.

Just thought I’d throw another cat amongst the chickens….

Cheers

C@34

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

This is definitely a “cat among the pidgeons/chickens (whatever, birdlife pleases you)” topic Calvin, and in line with past disourse, I guess it relies on how/what one’s fundamentals are and their application of same!!!

Jo [sealed]

Profile photo of qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    @qwerty

Hi Calvin,

Yeah , but what’s left that’s +ve geared and worth it?

If one is that desperate to make $20 a week without the fear of your original capital declining, problematic tenant issues, maintenance etc etc, then just bring in a home made meal to work everyday instead of buying it!!!.

@kay-henry

calvin,

Yes, it would be great if some properties got 10%… but not all of them do. So I sacrifice some cash in hand, because I want to buy specific kinds of properties. It isn’t all about the $20 in my hand today- I have a long-term approach.

In Australia in 2004, positively geared residential properties are fewer in number, and often in remote areas. I’d prefer to buy in areas of greater population, basically. I don’t rely on the income of properties to live on, and I make choices about where to buy- and location and population are two of the factors I make my choices on.

kay henry

Profile photo of HotRodHotRod
    @hotrod

oooooo another -ve geared argument [exhappy]

I guess it all comes down to losing money now in the hope property prices go up or making money now and hoping your property does not go down in value. To me, the second is my choice, at least I know what I have in my pocket each month (I never want to sell). Forking out money from my pocket each month on a prayer is dodgy.

It isn’t all too hard to get +ve CF deals. Just think outside the square, they are not all in woop woop and are little #$^& boxes. Steve’s book has lots of method tried and proved.

Later………..

If you think you can you can, if you think you can’t you can’t.

@kay-henry

It’s a discussion, Rod- not an argument :+P hehe- I don’t do arguments.

Rod, yes, there are creative ways to do deals- it’s why I referred to residential property in 2004 in Australia- I was thinking about “vanilla” buy and holds.

I still look at property as a piece of equipment, really. If one was buying, for example, a truck, to carry stuff in… the truck might not be positively geared, but it is the owner’s plan to one day pay it off- to reap the reards later. That’s my approach too- I am not into the one-minute millionaire mindset. I’d be happy to just own some property when I’m old. for others, they have different desires or needs.

Rod, one day my properties will put money in my pocket too- just not now they don’t. I’m happy to invest for my future, and forego the cash now. I still see property as a solid investment- whatever method one chooses to purchase it.

kay henry

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi all,

There is an article in October 2004 API that discusses negative gearing. It may be of interest to the forum.

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.