All Topics / Creative Investing / Flips, Flicks and legal hot water…???

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of lukegrosserlukegrosser
    @lukegrosser

Hi,

I’ve been reading the info regarding the various investing strategies on this website, particularly the info on “flips.”

I’m curious to know where you got your information from, particularly the part about needing to be licensed?

Cheers,

Luke.

Profile photo of traceyimbtraceyimb
    Participant
    @traceyimb

Hi Luke,
    Long time no see. I hope everything is going well for you. As far as I know in WA you have to pay the stamp duty in a flip and you don’t need an agent licence. Best idea would be to contact the Dept of Consumer and Emp. Protection and State Revenue and they should be able to give you advice over the phone. I hope to catch up with you soon.
    Cheers
    Tracey[biggrin]

[email protected]

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Luke,
    When yo say a “flip” as in, onsell a property either before you settle or else settle with a view to sell again immediately, the as far as WA goes ther is no licencing requirement.
    But you will be liable for stamp duty on the purchase.
    As far as a licence goes, you may be referring to vendor financing or wrapping, which is one of the strategies that Steve uses, in which case, for WA you will neded a Credit Providers Licence as issued by DOCEP.

KP

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi Luke,

The issue comes from real estate agent laws that impose regulations on selling property that you don’t own. It’s a grey area and one that needs further attention as part of the legal due diligence of the strategy you are adopting.

For example – Vic law (see: useful national r/e laws link)

ESTATE AGENTS ACT 1980 – SECT 12 PART III LICENCES

Estate agents to be licensed

12. Estate agents to be licensed

(1) Subject to this Act an individual shall not either by himself or as a member of a partnership-

(a) exercise or carry on or advertise notify or state that he exercises or carries on or is willing to exercise or carry on the business of an estate agent; or

(b) act as an estate agent; or

(c) in any way hold himself out to the public as ready to undertake for payment or other remuneration (whether monetary or otherwise) any of the functions of an estate agent-

unless he is a licensed estate agent. Penalty: 500 penalty units or imprisonment for 12 months.

It is this last one that is quite a catch all when you consider the definition of ‘estate agent’ is:

“estate agent” or “agent” means any person (whether or not he carries on any other business) who exercises or carries on or advertises or notifies or states that he exercises or carries on or that he is willing to exercise or carry on or in any way holds himself out to the public as ready to undertake the business of-

(a) selling buying exchanging letting or taking on lease of or otherwise dealing with or disposing of;

(b) negotiating for the sale purchase exchange letting or taking on lease of or any other dealing with or disposition of;

(c) collecting rents for-

* * * * * any real estate or business on behalf of any other person;

It’s the words ‘for any other person’ that again need further analysis.

Under a flip it seems okay as you own the property (albeit for a second), however under a flick where you receive a commission for the deal without ownership then it seems a different story.

So… hopefully you see the need and importance of legal advice!!!

Regards,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

Hi there,

well my fellow investors and I have done probably close to 40 flips in the last year, and the way we do it is to put a contract subject to due diligence within 20 days on a property in our own names (perfectly legal) and/or nominee. (perfectly legal).

Then we advertise the property to our clients along with pictures, what we reckon, what we’ve found out, good points, bad points etc etc, and if someone wants the deal we assign the contract to them with a (legal!) document.

Strictly speaking the deal is in our name still (despite the assignment document) until it goes to unconditional. It’s at that point that it fully passes to the client legally absolving us of the obligation to settle and passing that on to the client. So we have to watch the deal and make sure the client is doing all the stuff they are supposed to do. The client advises us that they are going to go ahead or not, and then we advise the vendor that we will go unconditional, and the new principal is our client. We actually put a clause in the contract that the vendor signs off on that says the vendor accepts that we may assign the deal.

As far as I am aware we are not actually buying on anyone’s behalf but our own, and we are assigning the deal to someone which it is already contractually agreed by all parties that we are allowed to do.

Seeing as we have done so many deals now a large amount of lawyers have seen our deal structure and give or take the odd lawyer that wants an additional tripartite agreement drawn up between us, the vendor and the client, all seems to be legal and above board. We are only doing deals in NZ though.

if we were doing them here I would expect our Australian property lawyers to help us make sure we are complying with the law, just as our NZ ones have done.

cheers-
    Mini

joy to the world

Profile photo of sirfunkydavesirfunkydave
    @sirfunkydave

Hi Mini,
    Just a quick question, how do you make your money by simply assigning your interest in a property.

Best Regards,
    Dave

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You assign for a fee.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @minimogul

roger that!

joy to the world

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

wow – that’s awesome! no wonder the hype about NZ! In WA there is no escaping the stamp duty… if a nomine isn’t listed at the time of the sale, then it isn’t happening. and no you can’t list the telephone directory as nominees; I believe it is limited to approx 10 names.

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of kpkp
    @kp

Hmmmm, you can take out an option to purchase and assign the option…this will avoid the stamp duty issue
    KP

Participant
    @minimogul

I used to sign them up as (for example) “minimogul corporation and/or nominee, or as directed at settlement”

but I have since learned that the ‘as directed at settlement’ is not necessary.

HOWEVER. Our original lawyer said that the party that goes unconditional (the nominee) should be the identical name of the party that settles otherwise it gets messy.

So when we get the assignment document from our clients we assign it to the actual trust/person/company/LACQ/whatever that is going to settle the deal.

And yeah no stamp duty in NZ. The way you could work around that kinda thing in WA is the old way I used to do it, find a deal, negotiate it to a verbal, present to client and then the client would sign up in their own name. the only trouble is that sometimes you do the work, get the awesome deal, and the client frigs around and then finally decides to go for it but the deal is already gone. Putting a contract on the property was the way we found best to ensure we actually HAD the deal to offer first. But there’s a lot more work to actually get to contract stage rather than just deal researching so you have to charge more.

cheers-
    Mini

joy to the world

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Ausprop

You can avoid paying the stamp duty if you don’t sign the contract, you just collect money as a finder’s fee. But of course, you run the risk of the new pruchaser bypassing you and going direct.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.