All Topics / General Property / CGT and trusts

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Just wondering, if you sell a property that is held in a trust, what tax rate is used to calculate the CGT?

Cheers
    Leigh K[biggrin]

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

if the capital Gains goes back into the Trust,
    The Trust does not pay any CGT tax. You pay the Tax when you transfer the money to yourself for personal use as the beneficiary. Depending on how much you transfer, the Tax rate is thus calculated.

Kind Regards,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

OK, so when the trust does it’s return at the end of the fin year and funds are distributed to the B’s so to is the CGT obligation … Is that right.

Thanks
    Leigh K[biggrin]

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

From my understanding Leigh, you can keep the CGT and any otrher moneys in the Trust for as long as you want – you don’t have to distribute it to the B’s just because its a financial year.

Its like a Trust fund for a child – its there till they reach 18 years – they can’t touch it beforehand.

regards,
    George.

I’ve found a way to help you save and earn whilst not selling or delivering any product. If interested, drop me an email or PM me to find out how

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Are you sure? Sounds too good to be true? Can someone else confirm this?

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

I am not sure but I have a feeling that undistributed profits are taxed at the top marginal rate. ask a tax accountant or check out http://www.ato.gov.au

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Trusts don’t pay tax!

All income of the trust must be distributed at the end of the year to the beneficiaries who then pay tax on this income – including CGT if necessary. You cannot keep the income in the trust – if you do the trustee must pay tax at the highest rate

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of CastleDreamerCastleDreamer
    Participant
    @castledreamer

Absolutely right Terry,
    you can’t avoid the ATO by ‘leaving the money in the trust’ they will just tax the trustees on it anyway and at the top tax rate as Terry has said.

I suggest get some sound advice to suit your individual circumstances as many of our circumstances here on the forum will be different to yours as well.

Cheers
    CD

CastleDreamer
    “+CF properties in NZ available now”

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi all

Just in case there is any doubt by people, CD and Terry are 100% right , the trust will be penalised financially by paying tax at the highest rate if it doesn’t distribute the profits at the end of each financial year.

Remember that unearned income to children will be taxed at 66% if the money is more that the threshold, so sometime its best to speak to a professional to make sure you distribute the profits best.
    Also remember that donations to your local church can become distibutions from the trust, so next time you give money to the church make sure you write a nice healthy cheaque from your trust account.

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Participant
    @terryw

hi Westan

It might actually be better to distribute the money to yourself and then make a donation to charity – remember you can only claim a deduction to a registered charity. This is because you may have a higher tax rate than the average tax that is paid by the trust.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@westan

hi terry

thanks for that

the difference is that donations to a church are not tax deductable under normal circumstances (unless its a building fund or something like that). However a distribution from the trust means you can support a church with pre tax dollars.

regards westan

I live in New Zealand and for a fee find cash positive deals there, email me at [email protected] to join our database

Participant
    @terryw

Westan

Good point. I just checked one of my trust deeds and it has any charity as being a beneficiary and it classes a charity broadly including any church, religious institution etc. So even if it is not a registered charity, it can still be a beneficiary.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

Did you register your chosen charity organisation as a beneficiary and do you have to do this to donate to them. Thanks

Regards,
    George.

@westan

Hi Geo

it should be standard in trust documents to mention donations to charities etc, it doesn’t need to specifically mention the charity.

regards westan

Profile photo of geogeo
    @geo

cool – thanks Westan

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

yes, as an interesting strategy you could register your own church and effectively use it as a super/savings fund that you can get immediate benefits from rather than waiting till 65 (whilst promoting whatver it is you believe in). the ‘church’ could own a land holding, art,gold etc. if you aren’t ‘religious’ in the biblical sense you could set up a representation of the Agnostic Church, so everyone could benefit from this. Does anyone know how hard it is to register a charity or how you do it?

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

@westan

Ausprop

Oh i wouldn’t go there if i was you.

Hey, but you could build a big house and claim its your church, but no you shouldn’t do it

and a nice swimming pool and say its where you Baptise people, No no it would be wrong.

oh i’d better stop i think i hear a thunderstorm.

westan

Participant
    @terryw

Ausprop

Good idea. I beleive that you can find all of this sort of information ont he ATO site. The rules have tightened considerably in recent years, but it is very easy to set up a religious association – which could be classed as a charity under most trust deeds. But these would jsut be companies and would have to pay 30% tax unless they get the tax exemption which is separate.

I think I read somewhere that sanitarium was a registered religious charity, but kellogs weren’t (incidently, both were started by fundamentalist christians) and therefore they did not have to pay tax. kellogs were saying it was an unfair advantage.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.