All Topics / Creative Investing / Financing many wraps

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of delboydelboy
    @delboy

Hi All

A question about financing wraps compared with normal IPs.

Say you buy an IP and put a tenant in and it is +CSH then you should find it fairly easy to secure another loan from the banks for your next IP as you are earning more income plus you have whatever equity in the home.

How does it work with wraps? Ok you have more income but you can not use the equity in the home and with most banks you can’t tell them that you are wrapping.

So when you have bought your first wrap, how do you go about securing a loan for the second, third, tenth etc.

Anyone!

Delboy[cap]

Profile photo of The DIY Dog WashThe DIY Dog Wash
    @the-diy-dog-wash

Delboy

with most banks you can’t tell them that you are wrapping.

Always disclose to your financier that you are wrapping as you don’t want to loose your shirt if things go bad.

As for finance, it is based around having the 80/20 LVR or 20% deposit which comes from the first wrap to help get you into the next wrap etc.

With a wrap you are generating additional income for yourself/business and so when you go the bank you can demonstrate that you have got a income stream from that investment.

Cheers
    LeighK [biggrin]

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin
    Originally posted by delboy:

Hi All
    A question about financing wraps compared with normal IPs. Say you buy an IP and put a tenant in and it is +CSH then you should find it fairly easy to secure another loan from the banks for your next IP as you are earning more income plus you have whatever equity in the home. How does it work with wraps? Ok you have more income but you can not use the equity in the home and with most banks you can’t tell them that you are wrapping.
    So when you have bought your first wrap, how do you go about securing a loan for the second, third, tenth etc.
    Anyone!
    Delboy[cap]

Hi Delboy and Leigh

My broker’s told me that they risk their licences if they do not disclose everything to the banks, so the trick apparently is to find a financier that isa cool with wraps. As I am about to launch into my first of hopefully many ethical wraps, can anyone please confirm that obtaining finance from banks/institutions WITH FULL, UPFRONT DISCLOSURE is easy?

Cheers
    Greg F

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Greg,

Please check yr PM inbox…. have sent you some info on finance…..

We deal direct with the banks, FULLY DISCLOSED….. and they love us…..

Cheers

Scott

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Scott
    Well, they might love you, but I certainly haven’t found that the case – even after your bank were the ones who wanted to talk to me!
    I don’t say that to criticise, but just to point out that finance being “easy” may be true for you, but not for everyone.
    I have certainly never found it particularly easy.
    However if I had masses of cash/equity to use for deposits (financiers get jittery with vendors leaving money in deals or investors putting in the deposit) and I also had some form of job income, it would be easier!
    I also think that the first 2-5 properties are relatively “easy”, from 5-? is “hard” and then it gets “easier” again – usually when your early buyers start refinancing.
    This is because your first houses can usually fall within standard criteria for the bank. Beyond that most people run out of deposits, run out of serviceability (yes, even with positive cashflow, because a lot of banks won’t count the whole amount), run out of mortgage insurance (no, borrowing 80% or less doesn’t usually alleviate this as the loan mostly still will have LMI againist it), and then hit the problem of providing business tax returns.
    The initial stages of a wraps business are quite yukky looking to a financier, as the proper accounting treatment counts all your buying costs and deposits paid as expenses, as well as the cashflow in and out. This means that for the first year or two, if you buy a lot of houses, you are going to have massive expenses and small income. So even a bank which understands how a wrap business works (and I’m talking about Scott’s bank!!) still got nervous when they saw my tax returns that looked like that. This is why turning your houses over quickly helps, because of course when you’re paid out, all that deposit money and profit comes back as income, and the figures look much nicer!
    The bottom line is – there are always solutions, it’s a question of whether you’re willing to spend the time finding them if you need them, and if you’re willing to pay the price.
    I should also point out that the banks that DO this sort of “business” finance generally won’t consider you until you have an established wraps business. Which is why I said it should get easier again when you have enough wraps.
    Getting to that point is the fun part! Because of course the same banks won’t lend you money for wraps under their normal home loan criteria.
    Good luck!

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

@pelican

Felicity,

It’s also about HOW you present yourself to the bank…..

As far as the re-financing or turnover of property goes, we wouldn’t know… we have yet to have a re-finance, but , yes, I’m sure it will make life easier…..

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

I agree with Scott.
    We have only used 3 lenders with 151 completed deals.

One of the lenders has done 2 deals and we won’t be going back whilst the other one a major top four Bank has done over 130 fully disclosed wrap deals.

It is all about presentation and the balance of the deal. In our case the Bank concerned want the property development business that offered if they finance the wraps.

Cheers Richard
    richard at fhog.com.au
    http://www.fhog.com.au

There is no such thing as a problem.
    Just a solution waiting to be found

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Scott
    I fully agree – it’s all about how you present yourself.
    But then again, you can only present the facts in so many ways, without bending the truth.
    As I said, I know that your bank was keen to have my business, until they sat down with me and realised that although I have a strong cashflow wraps business, there are other factors they weren’t so keen on.
    Again, it doesn’t mean there aren’t other solutions, but I have yet to see a major bank do wrap loans for someone starting out FULLY DISCLOSED. They usually need to see enough runs on the board to put you into business banking before they’ll touch them.
    And then it’s about your situation and how you present yourself.
    I also think that the situation has become a lot tougher in the last 6-12 months, too. So perhaps you and Richard were lucky enough to get started with your banks BEFORE they began getting tough on wrappers. Now you can build on that relationship.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

HI Felicity,

Pelical Boy put me onto his bank. It took me three days to get them to return my calls. When they did it was like a mini interview (luckily they couldn’t see me, i was in my pyjamas at the time).I was worded up and knew what they wanted to hear from me ie : hoping to refinace in 3-5 years etc, which was all the truth anyway.
    Most of my financials were emailed to them and the rest was given to them on a CD(another tip). I also made sure my company was set up and I had Biz cards and letterheads on all stationary. I wanted to present a business that was ready to roll even though it was my first wrap. 3 days later i had the finance. I know what your saying though, the first five are easy…then the cashflow probs may arise.

I find your posts and the posts of the other experienced wrappers invaluable. Thank you

@pelican

Wallflower,

Don’t you mean Papa Pelican ??? hehehehe….. Pelican Boy was not involved in that one !!!!!

The One major lesson learnt which was not in Rick Otton’s pack was on the finance… in fact we learnt some of it from Dolf DeRoos…. How to successfully present to a bank…..

PRESENTATION.. – Even at wrap #1…….. If you are going to be professional, then walk the talk on the very first deal….

Finance is always going to be an issue, even for the big boys like Steve & Rick…. Just look at how Rick advertises for deposit funds on his site…… BTW Rick uses the same bank being discussed here…..

Cheers

Pelican Boy !

Profile photo of FWFW
    @fw

Hi Wallflower
    Good for you! I did all that you did and more.
    I wonder whether I’d have had more success if I’d actually seen them EARLIER. BEFORE I had the first tax return with big purchasing expenses…
    In the end, they were impressed with me, my presentation, my business numbers etc etc but they just couldn’t get past the tax return.
    Sigh…
    I’ll give them this year’s returns when they’re done, just in case they see fit to change their minds, but somehow I doubt it. I need to either stop buying houses or refinance lots before they’ll be happy! I had all the numbers showing the positive cashflow and massive serviceability, but it still didn’t work. My tax return showed a loss the previous year, and that was it.
    In the end, you can be the most professional person under the sun, but if the number don’t stack up, or there’s something there that the bank doesn’t like, you’re still not going to get in the door.

Keep smiling
    Felicity 8-)

Profile photo of _steve__steve_
    @_steve_

You guys keep referring to “the bank” … which bank are you talking about? (I.e. the one that Rick uses etc.)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.