All Topics / General Property / Pets & Apartments

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

on the REIWA course a PM said in one of her lectures that it is illegal to take extra money for a pet bond other than the $120 or whatever it is for the treatment. is this still the case? no wonder pet owners have a hard time of it – government interference yet again

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

John, I too was told that by the REIACT. Don’t think it has changed….

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of BarnseyBarnsey
    Participant
    @barnsey

H Guys n Gals

Just a few comments from someone who has been a tennant with a pet & now has a landlord( with a different pet) .
    Please note: These are purely my oppinions & only intended to help the thought process (they may unintentionally stir the pot!).

As a tennant (2BR GND flr appt)
    I asked the landlady if a border collie was okay. Her reaction was: Okay BUT…. if there were any complaints about barking, smell, “deposits” in the communal gardens etc. then it was departure time for me & hound. As a show of faith, I offered to pay additional bond money or any additional legal cost for the extra clauses in the tennancy agreement. This created one of Steve’s win-win situations – my offer of cash had given the landlady peace-of-mind (she declined the offer) & Jess & I got a great place at reasonable rent.

As a landlord (3br house):
    As part of the due diligence process, I always ask the pet question (as a tenant or landlord). Current tenants have a springer spaniel, a foxy & a lab. Wasn’t too keen on that quantity of hounds inside because all the rooms except kitchen + bathroom have oiled floorboards (have you seen what K9 claws can do to softwood floors?). Solution – I put a small shed right next to the back/kitchen door. The hounds are allowed into the kitchen but nowhere else & sleep outside. Tennants happy, landlord happy (pristine floors & tennants paid up-front for 12 months) & dogs always very, very pleased to see anyone.

I can understand the pet phobia thing but with some reasonable give & take, a win-win situation shouldn’t be that hard to organise. There are times when a pet is unacceptable – Irish Wolfhound in a sml 1br flat etc, but each scenario needs to be assessed when the time comes.

Be happy,
    [thumbsupanim]

Regards

Patrick

Profile photo of BarnseyBarnsey
    Participant
    @barnsey

Sorry,
    Just realised that I’m not quite on track, but its the thoughts that count (?)!!

Regards

Patrick

Profile photo of nick95nick95
    @nick95

Hello Everyone.Can anyone suggest a web site that will give me free information about tenants.I cannot seem to find one. Thanks Pegi[blush2]

Profile photo of fernfurnfernfurn
    @fernfurn

Flip side of this. Owners had gorgeous nearly new double storey townhouse in Hawthorn (Melb) Put it on the market and any prospective purchasers nearly gagged walking around top storey, because of the smell and in spite of new carpets. No-one bought it and it sat on the market for ages until entry of my friend who actually lifted the carpet right back and realised the owners two boxer dogs had lived up there while their owners were at work, using it as toilet as well. He made a ridiculous offer, they accepted. He replaced the whole top floor boards and new carpet Boy did he get a bargain. (So it not always tentants)

Fern

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.