All Topics / General Property / Pets & Apartments

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of mrsimbamrsimba
    @mrsimba

What are your thoughts? Is it feasible to live in an apartment with cats or a small dog? How do landlords feel about their tenants owning pets in apartments?

Curious :o)

Profile photo of AUSPROPAUSPROP
    Participant
    @ausprop

I think it’s feasible but most landlords hate the idea of pets. Also alot of strata by-laws prevent the keeping of pets so it could be a little tricky in that regard.

Extensive list of ‘Off The Plan’ property available for sale in Perth.

John – 0419 198 856

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Mrsimba,

Did you say “fleas-ible“???? [laugh4] Just kidding!!! [lmao]
    Yes I agree, I think it is feasible, however as Auspop said, not too many landlords like the idea of pets!! Some landlords are okay with it, but you would need to check with them first!

All the pets pests eh [rolleyesanim] best,

Jo

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

mrsimba, you asked about apartment living, and it is up to the body corporate, not an individual owner…

Check the following out for the law of nsw, at least.

http://www.noyce.com.au/legal-publications/strata-title.html

“Are pets allowed in strata units?

“The standard by-laws provide that animals may be kept in strata units only with the owners corporation’s consent, which may not be unreasonably withheld. However, since the owners corporation has the power to change the by-laws, you should check whether it has done so. The owners corporation cannot prohibit from you keeping a guide dog in a unit or on the common property.

“If you believe that the owners corporation has unreasonably refused you permission to keep a pet, or that someone is keeping a pet on the premises without permission, or that a pet is causing a nuisance, you should contact the Strata Tiles Commissioner.”

kay henry

@monopoly

[:I][blush2][:I]

I stand corrected, terribly sorry mrsimba, I forgot you were referring to apartment living, and as such Kay Henry is quite correct; it is not an individual landlord matter; you need to consult with your body corp.

Please forgive the oversight on my part……Knew I should’ve got that new eye-glass perscription filled!!!! [blink][blush2][blink]

Cheers,[guilty]

Jo

Profile photo of aussiemikeaussiemike
    Participant
    @aussiemike

Im currently renting an apartment in Sydney (having sold all my properties) and my wife and I wanted to bring our lovely Bishon Frise with us. Anyway the landlord was furious they found out we had a pet. But being the diligent people we are we read the body corporate laws and there was a clause allowing animals for people with hearing impairments. Its an awful thing that my wife has tinnitus (which cannot be proven or disproven – and hers is very mild) but an audiologist gave us a letter saying she has a hearing impairment and our pride and joy “Bitch” (don’t ask why we called her that) is now living with us.

@monopoly

Aussiemike, [idea] You clever little vegemite you!!!!! [juggle] [laugh4][laugh4]

Seriously though, (out of curiousity) would your body corp regs not also extend this exemption say to cover someone who was “sight impaired” thereby allowing them to have a guide dog???

Cheers,

Jo

Participant
    @aussiemike

Monopoly,

Spot on. There was also a clause for that but unfortunately my wife and I have good vision. Well being a man I usually miss the toilet seat so I was instructed to sit down many years ago but I don’t think that would wash with the body corporate. But you are right a landlord would be in huge trouble with the anti discrimination tribunal if you tried to prevent a tenant bringing in a guide dog.

Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo

Our efforts to find a place to rent were definitely hampered by the “no pet” clause in many of the places we looked at. In the end we found a landlord who agreed that two cats would make a lot less mess then two toddlers so we managed to rent from him.

Question for AussieMike: As a property investor/landlord myself (or was until recently cashing in), I was very aware of the landlords terms and conditions and made sure I would be comfortable renting from them while abiding their wishes. It’s pretty much what I would expect of my tenants. Do unto others and all that… Don’t you find yourself in a situation where you have conflicting values by using a loophole to circumvent your landlords requests ?

Please note, I am not trying to make a value judgment here, I am just trying to understand what peoples thoughts are when they are tenants as opposed to landlords.

@monopoly

Thanks for that aussiemike,

I thought as much!!! [tongue]

I didn’t think any body corp or landlord/lady would be foolish enough to challenge anti-discrimination laws!!!! [wacko]

BTW….I think you meant “fortunately not “unfortunately” my wife and I have good vision”!!! [blink] Phew!!!!

Cheers, [sunny]

Jo

Participant
    @aussiemike

Baloo,

No i don’t feel bad at all. In fact it is a landlords responsibility to know the body corporate laws and ask the relevant questions. We were never asked if we had pets. I think they assumed a couple with no children renting a $1,000 per week apartment would not have any “extras”. Well thats there problem. In fact we are excellent tenants. We have paid our rent 6 months in advance, the dog is groomed weekly and is well trained so it won’t do any more damage to the apartment than we will and in fact the other tenants (the building is mainly owner occupiers) all have small pets.

We have allowed our tenants to have pets as I think that as long as you have good tenants then they will ensure that the pets do not do any damage to your property. My wife and I have never been able to have children because of her infertility and our dog has therefore provided extreme enjoyment for the two of us. I find it fascinating that a landlord would say no pets but what about no children. I mean a small child can do more damage to a property than a pet.

So will the landlord regret their decision. I don’t think so. We will provide good income for their property, it will be extremely well maintained and we will not be making any demands of the landlord. So I think they will just have to deal with it and realise that in a society that is choosing to marry later, have less children etc. pets are a wonderful part of life. It amazes me that some people think that if a tenant has a pet that they will allow it to shed hair everywhere, never clean up after it, let it crap all over the place and make the place stink. I mean some people need to get a grip.

Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo

AussieMike, Yeah, understood. I guess the difference we had was we asked in advance if pets were allowed and in most cases that resulted in a “No”.

In the end we had to agree to pay for fumigation of the property when we leave. Even though our cats never venture outside, it was worth agreeing to secure the place.

I too wonder about landlords that will readily accept children, or worse, Uni students sharing, but are automatically against pets.

Participant
    @aussiemike

Baloo,

It is generally a landlord that either doesn’t have pets or thinks that they will destroy a property. Of all the properties we have owned we have always allowed pets but obviously most tenants haven’t had them. Of the 5 or so tenants who have had pets we have never had problems. We also requested that the carpets be steam cleaned and that all surfaces were clean and no residual smells were left behind but that is what you expect of any tenant. I could tell you of one tenant we had who had a small child and they were prone to wetting the bed. It had got into the carpet and had left a urine stain that we couldn’t remove and we had to replace that small piece of carpet. Did it bother me. Of course not. Humans have to live and breathe and sometimes these things happen. Anyway don’t get me harping on about pets and renting. In New York City almost everyone who rents an apartment owns a pet. And every weekend they are out in Central park with them. Same in London. Same in Paris. But then us aussies are usually a few years behind the rest of the world.

Profile photo of taurus_2007taurus_2007
    @taurus_2007

If keeping a pet in say, a freestanding house is not illegal as per the Council, then I see no problem with it. I am reluctant to interfere with how people live their lives. A competent agent will have already used a rigorous screening process to try to exclude a bad tenant anyway.

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

I can understand that pets are an important part of their owners lives. Apart from the obvious benifits of guide dogs for the disabled, pets provide therapy and research has shown that caring for a pet can provide significantly improved outcomes for those who are sick or lonely or whatever. We have not said no to a tennant having a pet.

That said, there was a place that we moved into several years ago (as tennants) and the owners were adamant that NO PETS were allowed. There was an unpleasant odour that lingered in the house and the agent assured us that it was just because it had been locked up for a while and needed to be aired out. After a fortnight of airing 24/7 the smell was just as bad and we decided that as we were on a 12 month lease we would get the carpet cleaned ourselves. After a you beaut bells and whistles cleaning job the smell was only slightly better.

After locking the house up for a day we invited the agent over to see what she thought of the smell now. After her visit the owners decided to lay new carpet. This is where it gets scary.

When the carpet guy pulled the carpet up we found that the dog urine had soaked through the carpet and that the only way to remove the underlay from the floor boards was with a shovel. The guy doing the carpet actually took photos because he thought people would not believe it.

Later the lady next door told us that there were about a dozen little white terriers living there with the old lady before us.

Later again when the plumber came to fix the tiolet he shared his relief that we had moved in. The plumbers had drawn straws that morning to see who had to do the job at the “smelly dog house”. He said that it was like some thing you’d see on one of the current affairs TV shows.

So there is a compelling argument to say no to tennants having pets although cases like this are probably not too common. Don’t know what the PM was doing while things degenerated to that state but she always did her 6 monthly inspections when we lived there.

Cheers
    Sonja

Profile photo of DesertchikDesertchik
    Participant
    @desertchik

I rent an appartment, and have a dog (cocker spaniel) and a 14 yr old son … which of the 2 is more of a nuisence is still being determined!

I’m also an IP landlord and have no objections to my tenants having a pet and if there are fleas at the end of the tennancy .. it comes out of the bond surely?

I’ve never been any trouble to my landlords, and my tenants are no trouble to me!

[party]

Profile photo of hotshothotshot
    @hotshot

You kiddin me right? I seen houses wrecked by little kiddies but landlords cant discriminate against them can they?

Profile photo of ANUBISANUBIS
    Participant
    @anubis

We are against tenants with pets. We had a tenant with cats who liked to urinate on the carpet – the place was revolting, God knows how they could live there with the smell. The end result was $2500 for new carpet.

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

In my opinion, kids and pets are not the same thing. Children (although messy and destructive at times) are people and should not be refused housing. I also believe that parents have an obligation to accept responsibility for their childrens actions.

For example our PM told us that the tennant was moving out of our IP. OK that happens. Several days later we came home to find a message on the answering machine that went something like this:

“Hello this is Lisa from the real estate agency. The tennant would like me to ask you if it is OK for her to buy a rug to cover up the spot in the lounge room where the fire was. Please call back and let us know.”

I got on the phone immediatly and asked “what fire in the lounge room???!!!” It turns out that her 7 year old son had lit a bonfire in the middle of the lounge room while she was bathing her younger two children. She thought it would be acceptable to buy a large rug to cover up the damage. Needless to say, the new carpet came out of her bond.

As a parent I can suggest that if you want to deter families with children then buy IPs with no bath. We don’t even consider a place that has only got a shower simply because of the kids.

Cheers
    Sonja

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Been caught with pet problems as a PM. One tenant with a dog moved out, house looking OK, I refunded the bond to the tenant, he relocated interstate. New tenant moves in with no pets. After 2 weeks in residence, he has a flea plague and red spots all over his ankles. The flea eggs had hatched, nice little time bomb. The house needed an immediate pest spray, $120, who pays ?
    Should’ve been the tenant with the dog, but it’s very hard to get the money later. REA had to pay it, PMs live ‘n’ learn.
    So then all subsequent leases contained the additional clause covering pets which insisted on the tenant paying for a pest spray and any damage if they ever had a pet. [specool]
    If anyone is having problems being accepted as tenants with pets, offer additional bond to cover the risk, then the landlord will know you’re putting your money where your promise is.
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.