All Topics / Creative Investing / Needing help getting creative, please

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of fenpubfenpub
    @fenpub

O.k. I need to pick all of your brains!.

My situation is simple.

I have a partner – on a disability pension for the rest of his life. I am a sole parent about to loose my entitlements as my last child is 16 in about 7 weeks!.

We have no assets – only a car that is already in hock.

We want to be able to achieve what “everyday” people have the luxury in life but I am finding so many obsticles getting in our way.

We watched a gentleman on television a while ago and he started with absolutey nothing but he seemed to know people, thats how he got his “break”. We need to find some of those people for our break.

If anyone knows anyone who can help we would be much obliged, even if anyone needs some gophers to help us.

Thanks everyone in advance

Regards

Helena and Ken
    0423-135-996
    (Melbourne)

Helena Andrewatha

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Hi Helena,

Just a quick question, does you last child, the one turning 16 still go to school; if so, he/she may be entitled to Youth Allowance or some kind of study allowance (I only remember it as Austudy many years ago) provided he/she is still a full time student living under your care.

Take a look at Centrelink’s website, there might be something there that can help:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/

Cheers,

JO

Profile photo of LizzyLizzy
    @lizzy

Helena & Ken,

Are you both first home owners grant eligible? I’m assuming your dream is to buy your first home?

Where are you looking to buy (good luck if in Sydney [uneasy])?

Do you have any idea what price range you are looking to purchase in? This will help us come up with a figure you need to save to get into your first home.

Are you working at the moment, or is this a possibility?

Questions questions….

Take care

Liz

Mortgage Lender

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Helena,

I would think that most of us here are “everyday” kind of folks. Some would have had financial help to get their first “break” and others haven’t. It can be a slow slug- no secrets, no being “in the know”- just learning stuff, and working out the conditions needed to purchase one’s first property. The first of these conditions *for me* is employment. It sounds like you might be around 45? (last child being 16 and all) If so, sometimes it’s hard to get employment (some employers discriminate against age [thumbsdownanim but I reckon you need a job to service a home, and not just wait to meet the “right people”- whatever that means.

Ask a mortgage broker on here what you’ll be able to borrow, and factor in your car loan, and see if it could be a possibility. These people you might be looking for to help you out… well, unless it’s a charity situation, then many people would be looking for a return on their “investment” in you.. such as a much higher interest rate, security over your car etc.

I know sometimes it seems like everyone owns their own home… but it’s not the case. I, for one, don’t own my own home, I have a huge mortgage on IP’s, so I don’t feel like I own them either. Sometimes stable, affordable rental accommodation has to be enough.

If you’re able to get some part-time work, or full-time work, then you’ll be in a much better position- the banks will probably be willing to lend you bucketloads. But without employment? Well, I don’t think that’s possible for any of us.

kay henry

Profile photo of pelicanpelican
    @pelican

Maybe Steve could offer some pearls of wisdom here ???

Would agree with other posts here… having a job would no doubt help your case……

Scott

Pelican Investments
    http://www.pelican-invest.com

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi Helena,
    I agree with Kay on the above. If you get to the decision of getting a broker, this is just my advice. Try to find one who looks at your long term plan, whatever that may be. If one tells you ‘This is the cheapest interest rate/ I’ll give you half of my commission, etc, this may sound great at the time but think long term how it may impact on you down the track. Personally I believe if you can find a broker who looks at your ‘long term goals’ and also takes this into account then it can save you headaches down the track (and more financial hardship). There are some good brokers (many on this site) so don’t be shy to shop around. Just remember to not take the advice of the first person you meet (brokers, real estate agents, anyone in this field). Screen everyone and you’ll be doing your due dilligence and will make the right decision to meet your needs in the long run. Congratualations! You’ve started the ball rolling for yourself by simply placing your post!
    Good luck!
    Kind regards,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of skippygirlskippygirl
    @skippygirl

Helena,

Go girl, you’ll be amazed at what you can achieve. May I suggest, as part of the learning process as others have already advocated, that you start with a plan. Boring but vital.

You must decide on your vision, goals, the person you want to be, all of that, and then head off on the path of taking action to create and achieve what you want.

With that will come ups and downs and a wonderful sense of satisfaction, power and purpose.

Among the research you do, do read Money Secrets of The Rich by John Burley (reserve it at your local library for free) because he outlines a good, basic, foolproof plan for anybody to apply to their situation and slowly but surely move toward a better financial future.

It is also good because he advocates acquiring and reinforcing certain money habits before moving on to basic investments and then more advanced investments. Give it a go. You’ve got nothing to lose. Good luck.

skippygirl

Profile photo of amichelonamichelon
    Participant
    @amichelon

Hello Helena,

You are in control of your destiny. Be aware of your limited beliefs. You first need to start effective communication with yourself. Life is about letting go. A life coach is a good start, but ask if they have been trained in NLP (neuro-linguistical programming).

It is not how many times you fall over in business but how many times you get up that makes you successful.

Having a JOB is a limited belief. Who said you need a job to obtain other peoples money. Having a JOB will also limit your time. If you can return people a risk reward ratio that is attractive to them, how could they be excited? Porperty is about the passion of negotiation.

Seek to create unlimited ideas. Planning is important, it takes time to be a master planner, but action is more important.

Remember it is a journey and start small. If your worried about a deal, go smaller and then move to bigger deals.

[biggrin]Aaron

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly
    Originally posted by amichelon:

Having a JOB is a limited belief.
    Not having a job is even more limiting!!!

Who said you need a job to obtain other peoples money.
    Which do suggest is the better option begging for, borrowing or stealing it????

Having a JOB will also limit your time.
    I dunno, you seen the dole queues on pay week at Centrelink????….now that’s time consuming!!!

Porperty is about the passion of negotiation.
    True, but there have been many many times I have been “passionate” about my “offers” for property, only problem was, the vendor didn’t share my “passion” or enthusiasm for that matter, especially when I told him the price I was willing to pay!!! Go figure……

Sorry Aaron, but are you for real?????
    I am all for that “warm & fuzzy” stuff too, but I am a firm believer in the adage:

An excellent remedy for fantasy is a severe dose of reality!!!!

Pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……………

Jo [sunny]

P.S. Please note of my choice of colour (blue)it has great healing qualities!! [whistle]

Profile photo of brahmsbrahms
    Participant
    @brahms

Moderator Jo, some moderation please…(read: damn, you beat me to it)

cheers

brahms

If you don’t ask, the answer is no!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.