All Topics / Forum Frolic / Giving up Smoking!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Okay okay…..quit nagging!!! [lmao]

I gave up the late nights, partying till all hours of the morning. [suave]

I gave up the boozing. [upsidedown]

I gave up the bad language. [sealed]

I gave up the ciggies….they went years ago!! [cigar]

And now thanks to that wonderful institution called “marriage” [inlove] I no longer associate with “bad men” [winking][winking]

What next?????????? [blink] Breathing????????[vanish]

Jo [laugh4][laugh4][laugh4]

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

???????????????

Please explain…..sorry, I’m having a senior moment, and my brain cells ain’t up for that one right now, could you please clarify for the few brain cells that I have currently operative!!

JO[lmao]

Profile photo of MonopolyMonopoly
    @monopoly

Oh sexist hey???????

Nah, I’ll leave that one alone. Me thinks better of it, I think I’ll play fair!!!! [tongue]

Jo

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Since start quitting I haven’t completely ciggies free, but I managed to cut it down to at least 50% everyday. Someday I don’t smoke at all which is quite an achivement for me. It’s quite hard, but anything that you try to give up on will be hard. So I will try my best to quit eventhoughly.

Thanks guys/gals for your support.

Kind regards

Jet Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of Brenda IrwinBrenda Irwin
    Participant
    @brenda-irwin

I would love to give up smoking. Not a day goes by where I don’t think about it.

Trouble is, I seem to have some sort of phychological fear of giving up the smokes. It seems like I have some sort of split personality where I want to give it up vrs nah why bother. It drives me nuts all this two sides fighting so in the end I just keep on smoking.

I have in the past tried patches, but they itched and burned my skin and were a constant reminder that I was giving up. I tried nico type lozenges but they burned my throat and made me cough. I tried eating lollies but the increase in sugar make me sick in the stomach. I tried chewing gum but I chewed so much my jaw ached.

Isn’t there any treatment, like a weeks worth of sedation till I can get over it? I need a detox centre for nicotine, me thinks.[blink]

If you want to get out of a hole, first stop digging.

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi Jet, let me know how you’re going. I hope the pm was of some help. Pm again if you wish. Celivia smoking does affect guys too, lowers healthy sperm up to 30%. However, considering the average ejaculation consists of 200 MILLION sperm it’s like losing a small village on the planet if every sperm one the race! (lol) Again, nicotine has shown to be more addictive than heroin, crack and cocaine combined! The physical withdrawal may not be as physically painfull with cigarettes but the pull of nicotine addiction is stronger. The only way in my own opinion is firstly you must want to quit-period! More importantly though is that you MUST DO SOMETHING TOTALLY INCOMPATIBLE TO SMOKING. You have to get your body to physically reject everything about smoking. That starts with removing yourself from fellow smokers, stop all the antecedent behaviours that precede a fag (coffee, alcohol, pubs, whatever). The only way though is to exercise. I can’t emphasise this enough. Your body will not want the shit from a cigarette after your sweating like a pig and your lungs are TOTALLY CRAVING oxygen. To me it’s the only way. For me it’s weights but it can be anything that gets you puffed out to the point where your lungs crave oxygen.
    Good luck!
    Regards,
    Gatsby!

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck

First of all does this quote really mean anything to you Brenda? As how I look at it, smokers are forever digging themselves holes they have to desparately try to get out of later.

There are still many ways to try that may work for each individual. If you really want to give up the smokes mentally (rather than the case of evil homer dancing around the grave of good homer [evil4] ) then something like hypnosis could work. Or like anything painful accept the pain and just do it (cold turkey).

Profile photo of Brenda IrwinBrenda Irwin
    Participant
    @brenda-irwin

Hypnosis is in contravention of my religious beliefs. Despite this I did contact a hypnotherapist who said it could not be done with a one-off visit and would require repeated visits and a 100% success could not be given even then.

I have found there is a new nicotine replacement product newly available which is in tablet form and sounds promising. I will be having a medical check up first before I try this method of giving up so there are no complications.

Profile photo of mistymisty
    @misty

I would also love to give up – have in fact done so many times for varying periods up to about 8 months. BUT always seem to go back to it. I find it harder these days (30 years smoking) but can still go week or two with no worry. Biggest issue seems to be husband who smokes, I am Ok at work or if he is out but if he is smoking I find it hard to say no. Do the same with food etc. Don’t know why I find it so hard to say no to men I am close to but if anyone has any ideas on this would love to hear them.
    I am sure if I can work out this bit I can give up.[blink]

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

I smoked for 15 years, tried a lot of times to give up, then the wife said she wanted me to quit so we could have healthy babies… that was 5 weeks ago, haven’t had one and haven’t felt like having one… still early days, but all going well.

cheers
    r

Profile photo of elbowgreaseelbowgrease
    @elbowgrease

I once heard someone say ‘Smoking is just a habit. Habits are extremely difficult to break. If you want to break a habit, replace it with a new habit’. I liked their way of thinking.

And it is just my opinion, but I believe that if you really want to give up smoking, you will… because you will find a reason to do so.

If you don’t REALLY want to give up, you will always find a reason/excuse not to.

Good luck to all

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck
    Hypnosis is in contravention of my religious beliefs. Despite this I did contact a hypnotherapist who said it could not be done with a one-off visit and would require repeated visits and a 100% success could not be given even then..

Religion is in fact itself a form of hypnosis. I came across many examples when I found an interesting book on american soldiers who were North Korean POWs during the Korean War, but enough on that. I only gave the advice as you hadn’t mentioned it, I wouldn’t know enough about the subconscious to even quantify how long it takes to help a person break a habit.

I have found there is a new nicotine replacement product newly available which is in tablet form and sounds promising. I will be having a medical check up first before I try this method of giving up so there are no complications.

If you know its name perhaps a search on the net to see if it is harmful for you would be in order. I heard from some people that when they gave up they simply kept their hands busy and their minds occupied. Like what was mentioned earlier, replace the habit with another.

Gardening, sewing, knitting, sports, carpentry(something my partner and I are looking at doing for fun at some stage anyway), cooking classes, painting etc. If you can plan something that helps take the edge off the cravings then perhaps you won’t need the ‘crutch’ in drugs to get you through.

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

A new nicotine replacement is called Microtab by Nicorette. I am using it right now. It’s much better than gum and lozenge lollies…

Kind regards

Jet Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Riches] [strum]

Profile photo of RussHRussH
    @russh

Hi Guys and Gals.
    I am now in my 8th month and have noticed I no longer think about smokes.As I am feeling so good about not smoking I figured it was time to lose the weight I gained during the withdrawal period.So 2 weeks ago I embarked on a new eating program and I have shed 10 kgs already.
    Life just gets better and better without the fags.
    I am now walking 3 times a day and feeling fitter every step.
    So go on Take The Plunge and give them up.
    Russ.

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Great post Russ, as I am now also a non-smoker I have also turned my attention to losing excess weight.
    I’ve cut back drinking fatty drinks, like cordial, soft drink etc and as they are loaded with sugar i expect the weight to fall of dramatically.
    The reason I drank so much is that smoking left such a crappy taste in my mouth, I had to get it out, like drinking strong cordial.
    It’s great being smoke free, really liberating, there’s a lot more benefits than expected when starting to quit. Anyway I’ll get back when I’ve lost my 10kgs, probably not in 2 weeks though! and let you know what’s happening.
    To all those following this topic, keep going you’re doing great! G7[thumbsupanim]

Profile photo of sassysassy
    @sassy

Hi everyone,
    I have’nt touch a smoke for 6 weeks,i am wanting to know if anyone has excperienced symptoms such sleepless nights waking up in a sweat,dizziness,heart puplatations.
    any help would appreciated

Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo

Taken from this site: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_10_13X_Quitting_Smoking.asp

Withdrawal symptoms can include any of the following:

depression
    feelings of frustration and anger
    irritability
    trouble sleeping
    trouble concentrating
    restlessness
    headache
    tiredness
    increased appetite

I am about 6 weeks into my new non-smoking life. Restlessness, headaches, short tempered, lethargic were all symptoms I experienced and in some cases still am.

Despite that, I feel so much healthier. I am glad I was finally strong enough, mentally and physically, to break that disgusting habit.

Profile photo of lifeXlifeX
    @lifex

It seems a lot of people want to give up smoking and don’t.

Just an idea, This forum has a lot of ambitious and successful people who would never ever “give up” in any part of their life. Maybe try changing the goal from “giving up smoking” to “Conquering a minor smoking problem”.

But if you are still having trouble, then maybe your train of thought needs to be broken. So here is my smoking story.

I had reached the age of 24 and never smoked, through the many booze sessions and parties and stress, never smoked and knew i didn’t want to.

So I decided to start smoking [specool], I set myself the task of getting as addicted as i possibly could, in spite of the warnings and negative nay-sayers. If so many people were smoking, then it must be good.

I took it up, and was very bad to start with, i was sucking ash up my nose, breathing in at the wrong time and choking, burning my clothes and those who were nearby, I was flicking ash everywhere and occasionaly burning people or pets too,

But i smoked and smoked and got really good at it.

I got to hang out with smokers and use all the cool types of lighters, and even stick a pack a ciggies under my tight tee shirt sleeve. I even started rolling my own rollies, It was great.

I was smoking a pack a day after a year and feeling really proud. I bragged to everyone how good I had got and GEE-WHIZ I could tell they were envious by the way they still said bad things about ciggies.

But….something terrible happened, my body was starting to feel crappy. Each cig physically hurt and it got to the stage where i had to wait hours until the next one.

I pushed myself and smoked as hard as i could, but it didn’t help.

In the end I failed smoking. I don’t smoke anymore and don’t know what happened.

[dunny]

lifexperience

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Hi all,
    I know it sounds too easy to be true or either too much work. You can visualize all the tarred lungs, brown teeth, wrinkled faces, clogged arteries or amputated limbs you want (I’ve tried all the above!). I still believe you’ve got to ‘want to quit – period’! By that I mean do the incompatible to smoking and all it’s associated behaviours. The easiest and most benefical way is to rack you body with the opposite behaviour. You’ve gotta huff and puff, whether that be weight resistant work out or cardio. If you punish your body this way rather than smoking you’ll benefit double wammy and it will get better exponentially. Trust me, you’ll rather oxygen than fags any day. It just takes time. Good luck!
    Gats!

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

It’s also a mindset thing – and as has been previously mentioned in this thread, you just have to see yourself as a non smoker, and do what non smokers do..

visualisation is powerful, cos your mind doesn’t distinguish between what’s actually happened and what you ‘see’ happening, so that can work just as well…

I’m impressed that there are so many people who are in the process of quitting [thumbsup]

Cheers
    Mel

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.