All Topics / Forum Frolic / Giving up Smoking!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Hi guys,
    I’m trying to quit smoking. My method is nicotene patches, and keeping my mind occupied, ie-lots of TV and Internet.

Is there anyone else who has succesfully done this, what was your method and have you got any other tips to help me kick the fags for good?

Appreciate all replies, thanks G7 [cigar]

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

G7,
    You read my mind! I’ve currently gone through a stressful period and have taken up the habit (mildly). The strange thing though is that I’m lucky (or so I’m told) in that I only smoke when I drink. The problem is though that I drink everyday! I used to be a weekend drinker. I’d start on Sunday and finish on Saturday! What I seriously don’t understand though is that cigarettes kill more people than heroin, crack and cocaine combined! Why doesn’t somebody come up with a ‘Naltraxone implant’ which is used for alcoholics and heroin addicts to help smokers. No child who is born wants to grow up to be an addict. I find for me it’s not a true nicotine addiction but a physical behaviour. The best thing I find is to replace the behaviour you want to change with one that is incompatible (eg. jogging, weight training, drinking heaps of water, stay away from smokers etc) Let me give this some more thought on this and I’ll re-post.
    Good luck,
    Regards,
    Gatsby.

@gatsby

PS G7,
    I’ve tried patches, Nicorettes, Nicohaler, Zyban etc,. However because I’m not physically addicted nothing worked. When you try blowing smoke rings out of a hole in your neck though, you know you’ve got a problem!
    Good luck,
    Gatsby.

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Guys,

i’ve been smoking now for a number of years too, i have been on off numerous amounts of times, i do remember about 7 years ago, just before they brought out the new laws in Qld’s were you had to be 18 years of age to purchase cigarettes over the counter, since the bringing out of that rule, it made me, to find doggie corner shops that would sell me smokes.

but back to the topic, im not sure how addictive you guys are, but if i can pass that first morning cigarette without the coffee, normally then i can go a few hours out with smokes.

if you work nights (which is what i do), i tend to find you actually smoke hell of a lot more, eating when you have the cravings helps abit.

(actually talking about cigarettes is making me, feel the urge… be back in 10 mins… puffing away and having a smoke.)

sitting in front of the internet, can prolong hours from your next smoke i find, but sitting on the phone, especially on the cordless… bad idea, once that occurs… puffing away again on another cigarette…

sorry guys not much help, but if you guys do know of anything that does work, please shoot some information this way.

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

one other thing too, if i hear bad news… or some not good news about my investment vehicles… and just staying relaxing and keeping the nerves cool… lots and lots of puffing away on the smokes…

… but helps me keep in control and on top of the situation, one other problem too is, if all your family members smoke… its too darn hard to quit

… so, lol… better not come round to my place… almost everyone here smokes.

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of SonjaSonja
    @sonja

It breaks my heart to see people start smoking. I have watched a few friends start and have been unable to have any influence on their behaviour.

Gatsby, I hope it is different with you but all of the people I have seen start smoking have denied being physically addicted for a long while after they obviously were. They started as you are, by smoking while drinking… out of five, four are now addicted and are still smoking years after they started. Please be careful.

G7, I have never been a smoker but I believe that quitting takes a lot of resolve. Good luck with it and sorry I can’t offer any better advice.

Cheers
    Sonja

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

There was another post a while ago in where smoking addiction was discussed.
    I said there, that the motivation for me to give up smoking was because I had found out I was pregnant. THe motivation was so great, that even though I smoked for about 12 or so years ( a 25 pack a day) I just binned my cigarettes and although initially it was a bit hard, I never had any withdrawal problems. Never smoked since.
    Hehe Gatsby and G7 this method might not work for you :)))

My mother and father in-law, who smoked for ages, about 30 years, decided to quit together cold turkey after the price of cigarettes increased again. THey were a bit moody for a week (you wouldn’t have wanted to visit them hehe)[argue]and [dead2] and [agro2]and [axe][party], but they did it and both heven’t smoked for some 20 years now.

My brother quit with the help of a book by Carr. COld turkey also. Hasn’t smoked now for about 3 years. Eating oranges for cravings seem to help, he told me.

Good on you for trying to quit![thumbsupanim]

@gatsby

You can give up. Just don’t wait until someone tells you that they go through a packet a day
    when you reply “Hell, I go through 4 lighters a week!”
    Cheers,
    Gatsby.

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Hi guys,
    Thanks for your support and encouragement, today is going good, I usually fall over at about day 3 or 4. I have quit before and know how good it feels, especially in the wallet region!

I’m really determined to do it this time, my mum went blind at 45, and we only found out a few years ago that smoking significantly brings forth this condition, which usually happens to people in their 70’s.

Anyway I’ll keep going and thanks all, I appreciate your posts immensely[biggrin] G7

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

I also try to quite smoking for many months now, but I am not successful yet. I quit for a few weeks then start again. This process keep going and I hope one day I will quit for good. My target date to stop smoking for good is 17 June 2004 which is my daughter 2nd years birthday. I hope I can do it this time.

G7,
    Let do it together. I am using NicabateCQ Lozenge 2mg lolly and Nicorette Step 2 10mg/16hours patch to help me. The problem is I alway forgot to use it in the morning and feel the urge to smoke.

Good luck G7 and I am sure you and I will bit the craving one day.

We will celebrate once we succeed.

Quiting is quite hard, but I am sure I can do it in the near future.

Wish me luck.

Kind regards

Jet Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of sizzling_ducksizzling_duck
    @sizzling_duck

My father quit using a vegitarian way. He had to give up the grog, coffee and smokes all at once but was allowed chewing gum. I think certain foods such as meats had to be limited as well.

I saw a fair amount of chewing gum wrappers for the next few weeks but he beat it and never went back.

Quite often things like coffee and grog will make it harder to give up since all of them are addictive, he had to give up the addictive behaviour as well to ensure he didn’t just go back.

Profile photo of Matt PMatt P
    @matt-p

i have been smoking now for about 8 months… not long compared to some ppl. But in that timei ahve made sure that i only smoke light cigarettes, but i don’t think im addicted, i could easily go weeks without one, but then i think about the relaxation that it gives u, and just end up smoking again… i smoke the most on social occasions.. but try limit it, well done to the people trying to quit [fear]

Cheers Matt

“If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.”

“Isn’t it time for a change?”

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

Hehe Matt, well yes if you only smoke light cigarettes, if you don’t think you’re addicted, if you smoke on social occasions, if smoking relaxes you, if you keep ending up smoking again, but at least try to limit it…
    then you can’t really be an addict, right? [cigar][biggrin]

Awww good luck to all of you!!!

Profile photo of WallFlowerWallFlower
    @wallflower

Hey guys a couple of friends have been Hypnotised, by this little ol’ Indian doctor and it worked both times. He is in Melbourne costs $300.00 and you get a Govt. rebate…

DO IT NOW !!

Gatsby, george doesn’t smoke. My lime green taffeta number is going back in the cupboard
    [confused2]

Profile photo of jancrowsjancrows
    @jancrows

To all
    My mum has been a smoker for 50 years and now is on week 6 of giving up. I am so proud of her – cold turkey and stuff. She said to me the other week…dont wait 50 years until U give up also to make sure you go always to the same doctor with your fLus, chest infections, Bronchitis etc. in the end the Dr will say GIVE UP OR DIE….

Well I am a shocking smoker… give up 9 months whilst carrying a child and also when in hospital etc but always start again.
    U name it I have tried it…but I wont stop the idea of giving up. I am currently in serious planning stages for my final quit campaign… so keep this thread happening[cigar].
    I have to Pshyco myself something shocking !!! then I can do it. Arm myself with knitting needles as well and thats hard cos who needs booties in this Darwin NT heat ??? even the wool starts to stick to you but its something I need doing cos I have to keep my hands busy.
    Anyhow Ill keep you posted on my D day and will always provide encouragement to others.
    [biggrin]

Regards

“Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Profile photo of Fast LaneFast Lane
    @fast-lane

Hey everyone,
    It’s nearly been a week smoke free and I feel a hell of a lot richer, thanks for all your replies, it’s a great support, not only for me but probably others aswell.
    It’s obviously not easy and it’s not over yet, but to all those thinking of quitting, keep persisting because it’s well worth it. I’ll keep you informed and you do the same, we are in this together!

G7

Profile photo of ScreminScremin
    @scremin

Gum gum gum…..

My dad went cold turkey on my eighth birthday and hasn’t picked up a ciggie since. I remember him being very testy at first and really sh*tty when we used to pinch sticks of gum off him, but he was a great deal healthier after quitting.

Only probs is now 18 years on he has developed a suspicious cough and it petrified about visiting hte doctor for fear of what they might find…. It doesn’t help that my aunty has just had half her lung chopped out coz of lung cancer…

Poor ol’ dad… I hope he goes to the doctors soon….

Steph…

Success is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Profile photo of baloobaloo
    Participant
    @baloo

I stopped smoking last Monday, 31/5, World No Tobacco Day. I was on Nicotine patches until Sunday. I have been off nicotine patche4s for 3 days now.

It’s not easy either way, though patches do help but you still need to break the nicotine addiction at some stage.

There is a trick to quitting smoking. Very simple and very effective. All you have to do is really to be someone that doesn’t smoke. I haven’t quit anything, I haven’t stopped anything. I do not smoke. Full Stop.

Having the mindset is the difference between failing and succeeding.

Profile photo of Matt PMatt P
    @matt-p

I think this is a really good thread for those who are smoking and seriously considering giving up.

Today is my first day without one, hopefully many more to come. Its not the addiction that has me so much, but more being a habit, like i have to do it, like jancrows said, its matter of keeping ur mind off the topic. Good Luck to all others trying to give up [medieval]

Cheers Matt

“If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.”

“Isn’t it time for a change?”

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

still smoking bummer….

Kind regards

Jet Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.