Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of VRVR
    @vr

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on property investing. I have just started my first full time job paying around $30k pa (going up very soon by a few k at least).

What is the best way to get started? Obviously my borrowing capacity etc is low at the moment but I really want to start accumulating property.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I’m finding this initial barrier very hard to overcome. Is it best to keep looking for cheap cashflow positive properties in regional areas?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Vikash

Profile photo of MyydralMyydral
    @myydral

First things first – start saving! Put away as much as possible ( without living on noodles and water ). In the meantime, read all the posts you can here, read books ( there is a thread here somewhere on what is recommended ) and learn about “due diligence” amongst other things.

Secondly, when you think you have enough info, talk to one of the mortgage brokers here on the site. They will let you know what they can do – and from what I have read here, some miracles are indeed possible.
    Good luck

“Looking forward to the day when I can tell the boss where to go”

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Vikash :) Welcome!

On an income of 30k, you would probably only have the capacity to invest regionally. So start checking around for the prices. I use realestate.com.au to check out prices and possibilities of all the places I can. Just click on any state and then start clicking on any place- it will give you an idea of what’s around. I check out thousands of properties- no pressure- best to know what’s around, what’s available, and what you’re looking for.

Also, get a mortgage broker around to your house, to sort out with you what you can borrow. Even one of them on here might be able to give you a rough estimate of what your limits are.

Whilst I agree with Henry somewhat about people who were investing before the internet… I don’t think how long one has been investing means everything. It’s just an age thing. Some people on here have been successful investors and they are under 30. Like Henry said, it doesn’t matter what your net worth is… and I don’t think it matters how old you are… it’s the *ideas* that are important, and you can find them from newer investors or older ones. There are so many ideas on here, and so many people who make their wealth differently, just sort out for yourself what seems useful and what doesn’t. Developing an independent mind will be your greatest tool as an investor.

kay henry

Profile photo of VRVR
    @vr

Thanks for the welcome and the replies!

I am fortunate in the sense that I don’t waste money on wild nights etc, I am very sensible with my spending and have been saving a lot since I started working.

I have also been reading books for the past year or more and have most recently read Steve’s book which I thought was a great read!

I am sure these forums will be a great source of knowledge and I feel like I will settle in here quite well [suave2] I just hope that you all won’t get frustrated by the occasional newbie questions [blush2]

Anyway, thanks for replying, I look forward to spending a lot more time on here!

“Success is not to be pursued, it is to be attracted by the person you become”

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

VR,
    My answer to your questions ends with one word – “CONGRATULATIONS!”. You’ve started on the path. Be a sponge and soak up as much info with everystep. If you don’t, the fear of tripping will stop you dead in your tracks anyway.
    Good luck,
    (but you already have it!)
    Regards,
    Gatsby.

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

I suggest you don’t have to start saving if you wanto to start now. But first you have to build up your knowledge as quick as possible.

You can use your parent, uncle, aunty equity or whoever to start buying IP and asking them to be a quarantor.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

Manage your finances conservatively, but don’t be overly concerned with “saving” in order to become involved in real estate investment – opportunities will pass you by [avoid using your own money if at all possible].

Instead put time and energy into studying real estate markets, investment strategies [not just real estate], and making contacts – advisors = investors = finance = wealth.

Do not focus on authors such as De Roos, Koslowski, etc. These guys preach to the masses – their personal “experience” in building “true wealth” is limited. They primarily derive income from books and seminars.

Join a local real estate investors club. If a club doesn’t exist, start one if you have the inclination. You would be surprised how many knowledgeable people there are in any area looking for an opportunity to share their knowledge and make contacts.

Do not be afraid to set your goals high.

And you don’t necessarily need guarantors, but you do need to know a viable opportunity when you see one – which will evolve over time.

The three key elements of understanding a viable investment: 1. due diligence 2. feasibility 3. risk management.

If the investment is feasible and you can demonstrate “confidence” in your ability the money will follow.

Finally, don’t focus on SFH’s [single family homes] or any one investment category – think a step ahead and be prepared for changes in the marketplace.

The key to independent wealth is your ability to identify opportunities before others [and think outside the square].

— Michael

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

hi Michael,

I can’t believe you said this –

“Do not focus on authors such as De Roos, Koslowski, etc. These guys preach to the masses -“
    did you mean Kiyosaki? Well De Roos and Kiyosaki do preach to the masses, but I am the masses, and that’s how come I heard of them. I got a lot out of De roos and Kiyosaki got me ready for De Roos.
    That was what got me searching for the ‘local equivalent’ and how I found Steve, whose very good value seminar filled in the final blanks in my knowledge and gave me confidence to start investing.
    Specifically, 3 bedroom family homes.

“Finally, don’t focus on SFH’s [single family homes] “

so i can’t believe you said that either!!
    I know you are into brand new apartments, but I’m so not. Firstly, I believe land appreciates, buildings depreciate. My properties have gone up in value 60 percent in the last year, and it hasn’t been about the structure itself!
    Also like you said, due diligence etc, those are the right properties to buy to get tenants in the towns I’m buying in. If the only alternative was to buy apartments or commercial property, i wouldn’t even have got started yet.

cheers-
    Mini

joy to the world

Profile photo of Michael RMichael R
    @michael-r

Mini – take a breath and read what I have said again.

“I got a lot out of De roos and Kiyosaki got me ready for De Roos.”

As I said, “do not focus” on these authors. I did not discount them altogether.

They are “inspirational” but offer little more than a general/basic understanding of real estate investment in a confined segment.

“don’t focus on SFH’s [single family homes]”

Read on – I said not to “focus” on this segment. The follow up to this statement was “or any one investment category”.

The authors noted, and this forum, are primarily focused on SFH’s. Again, I am not discounting SFH’s which are typically a good investment, I am simply saying do not put all of your dollars in one basket.

“I know you are into brand new apartments”

Yes, I am involved in apartment developments. But I am also involved in commercial, retail, multi-use investments/developments and land acquisitions. To offset this I have interests in industries not associated with real estate.

This diverse approach stems from the point I am trying to get across – gain knowledge, leverage, keep a step ahead and think outside the square.

It wasn’t that long ago I was in the same position as Vikash – but the tables have turned, and all without acquiring a single SFH.

— Michael

P.S. correct, I did mean to say “Kiyosaki”. “Koslowski” was an oversight, but a name many investors will be familiar with.

@kay-henry

Mortgage Advisor,

I see city investments as generally those > 250k, regional as <200k, and country/rural as <100k.

Are there many places in cities you think can be bought for 180k, as per Vikash’s budget?

kay henry

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Kay

You can still get units in Sydney for $140,000! Campbelltown, Cabramatta etc.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

@kay-henry

ok Terry- here’s one I found in Cabramatta for 159k (the next one up on realestate.com.au was 199k)

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&ag=&s=nsw&c=35594895&tm=1085405212&id=101538631&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&snf=rbs&cu=&fmt=&header=

And this one for 155k in Campbelltown. Estimated rental 135-150 bucks a week. (Next one up is 175k)

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&ag=&s=nsw&c=28196561&tm=1085405713&id=101389565&f=0&p=10&t=res&ty=&snf=rbs&cu=&fmt=&header=

Not sure if I consider Cabramatta and Campbelltown to be “city” but others may differ.

Caveat emptor!

kay henry

Profile photo of ezy.home.loans23320ezy.home.loans23320
    @ezy.home.loans23320

Hi I was just passing and thought “oh well”
    I may just say some thing you like or not..
    $30.000 12 months ago could have got you in the loop quite easy , its a little harder now with interest rates a little way up the ladder, and you have to take into consideration your living standard, a little sacrafice never hurt any one,
    the lenders have a scale they use on what it would cost for your living expenses per annum.

so your buying power at this moment might not be to good, I dont know if you have savings or can tap into any other source.

Do you have a person/partner you could team up with? maybe share a couple of properties ,untill you can strike out on your own.?

How can you finish a winner if you dont first start.[it does’nt matter where you start ]as long as you put your foot on the rung.

your buying power at the moment is around $100.000, there are other factors to consider and this is just a ball park fig.

I am sure others in the forum will give you much encouragement.

IT’s EZY [buz2]when you dare.

Profile photo of VRVR
    @vr

Wow, I have to say I’m very impressed with all the comments and advice people are giving. I really appreciate all of your thoughts and support!

As for starting out, I have a friend who would probably have similar buying power, we have talked about teaming up so I will look further into that.

I have been searching for some properties around the 100k mark in the hope of finding a positive cashflow as I feel this may be a good start. I would eventually like to do some reno’s and other development in the future but for the time being, as is a common theme, I just want to get into the market somehow.

Anyway, thanks again for the support, I’m really settling in here now! [biggrin]

Cheers,

Vikash

“Success is not to be pursued, it is to be attracted by the person you become”

Profile photo of ezy.home.loans23320ezy.home.loans23320
    @ezy.home.loans23320

[buz2]glad you found the information helpful.
    Do you have an area that you are looking to buy in.
    I am not one of the experts on this forum, but i do have an idea you might be interested[worried]
    email me if you want to hear my idea.[whistle][ears]
    [email protected]
    I’m EZY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.