All Topics / Legal & Accounting / The Tax Man kills everyone!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I didn’t know what to put in the Title, so i put that it there [biggrin].

Straight of the top of me head.

If you earn $10,000 per year profit on CF+ properties. How much tax comes out of that, if in a trust structure.

Or how much tax would come out of that with just normal investing with no trust?

Online Positive Cashflow Financial Analysis Calculator.

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Jaffa,

An impossible question because you haven’t indicated how much your total income is – which is the key determiner at tax time.

Check out the following scales and this will help you determine your taxation rate.

Income levels Tax Due Excess %
    $6,000 – no tax up to $6K + 17%/$1 thereafter
    $21,000- $2,550 tax + 30%/$1 thereafter
    $52,000- $11,850 tax + 42.0%/$1 thereafter
    $62,500- $16,260 tax + 47.0%/$1 thereafter

So on a total earning of $10K you wil pay no tax on the first $6K and then 17% thereafter = total tax bill of $680.

The distribution of the income from a trust will determine the tax paid by individual in accordance with their repestice income levels.

One of the advantages of a trust (the main one being asset protection) is that the income can be distributed to the trustees in a manner which reduces the total tax paid – not an expert on trusts – so I stand corrected

Derek
    [email protected]

Property Investment Support Available. Ongoing and never stopping. PM welcome.

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

With a trust and a company, never more than 30%, but usually under 10%, CGT at 15%.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I didn’t realize i got a reply again.

Seems it’s not so hard on the little fella’s. 30% and 15% sounds great!!!

Thanks for your help guys i really apprietiate it, so much.

Can i ask you guys a question..since you know all about this stuf!

Can i put my HB in a trust, it’s basically just a raw houseboat sitting in a paddock that i’ve built and it’s not part of any infustructure, i haven’t registered it have a title for it or anything. And also a first property i.e it will be a purchase of a property that a can be in, a residential property, can that go in a trust structure somewhere?

Jaffasoft

@ffcomm

You could put a claped out 25yr old+ Car in a trust… So yes, HouseBoats are fine.

Though it might not be worth your while putting your HB into a trust (what is the value of it?, is it an asset? Are you getting income from it?, or are you just worried about being sued???). More dtails needed!

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of SaskatoonSaskatoon
    Participant
    @saskatoon

Jaffasoft,
    my accountant said that as a general rule he would only put appreciating or income producing assets in a trust, e.g. real estate, shares, objets d’art etc., but individual cases vary.
    Terry

Terence McMahon
    HomeWin
    Finance

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

It is also good to run a business thru a trust. So if you are going to be renting out your houseboat, then it would be an idea to have all the rent diverting into the trust.

Then if you earn, say $10,000 per year profit you culd distribute that to tow beneficiaries on low incomes and pay no tax at all.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Thanks i obviously need to learn a lot more about trusts.

How is it you earn 10,000 profits and hand it down to low-income earners. I have heard this a bit around the forum. Doesn’t then the low income earners get the money. And then you don’t so then you lose the profits..??..

I’ve got in mind my low-income earner, brother, he has had a bad car accident and literally nearly tore of his arm, he is very uneducated and doesn’t mind a drink, he’s quit partial to it. He will let me distribute the assets or what ever i want to do.

Participant
    @terryw

Jaffa

You just do a book entry, ie give them the money and they give it back to you. But they have to agree to it of course.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Yep , can do that…No worries.

Alright Thanks , now i know that!

I just finished writting up this business plan document, i’m not really sure what to call it.

I’m not really good at english, but i have put together something for the accountant.

It’s fairly long. I don’t expect a comment, but comment if you want. Hopefully it is what the accountant would need to tell me what type of trust and tax structure i need to use. If you wanna have a look it’s here.

http://www.Jaffasoft.com/storage/trust_deed.html

I wrote the Goal section new years day 2004 and just completed the document over the last five days!

@ffcomm

It’s a nice document, but who is it for??? Is it for you? Or for your accountant?

Also you might want to add a charity as a beneficary too, as courts tend not to want break trust up because there is an outside interest/beneficiary.

Also it good to give.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

I didn’t know it would go in a trust structure, i had already pre-concieved a charity, this was one of the first things i thought of! Giving is the best thing that i can do in life.

I was just going to give my money to the homeless.

I’m not sure how to word it but i will put in there as one of the scenario’s to give money to the Homeless.

It is for me to take to my accountant, simply i have an arrangement with an accountant next week, this is what i prepared for him to read, to analyse my situation. It doubles as something to rip apart by the forum! It is a document that i will change and adjust as i prepare for my goals and tax structure and everythink.

With one brief interview with an accountant i am already sick of explaining my details to him and then he looking at me and making judgments that he doesn’t know anything about, he just says you need to make a plan. This is the plan in the document so that now i can end wasting all my time explaining my plan to him and instead send this document to him to print and read off. One of the criteria’s i want for my accountant is to be able to be spontanious and communicate via E-mails. That accountant is already gone from my list of accountants who will be doing my accountancy, i have screened three accountancy workers so far.

I was thinking today, actaully i want two accountants one for the up front ideas, deffence and the gutsy stuf who effectively will just be a friendly guide and adviser. And one for quiet thinking backdrop tax quiet acheivers and do money.

Participant
    @terryw

Before you go to an accountant, I think you should spent $99 and buy the book “Trust Magic”. It will be better to get an idea about how trusts operate first and it will save you money by shortening your meeting with the accountant.

BTW, there is no need to list all family members or charities as beneficiaries as they are automatically included.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

@ffcomm

To properly use an Accountant you have to know as much info as they do, so I would do as TerryW suggests! Because the more you know, the harder they will work for you, and the less tax you will pay.

In regards to your plan. It’s isn’t that difficult. All you want is a trust set up, with a corporate trustee (this is a company that acts as a trustee, thereby adding an extra layer of protection, so if you are sued, you can replace the directors (i.e. you) with a family member, and continue on as normal). And have a range of beneficiaries inc. family (though do tell your Accountant about your fathers assets – that is important for certain legal implications), companies and a charity. This applies for pretty much all RE transactions: buy and holds, flips, renos, raw land purchases, development, etc, except wrapping or LO’s. Also you will want to be the Appointor, as this person dictates who (or what) runs the trust, and they can fire the trustee, so pretty much all power lies with them.

If you are wrapping then you only really need a company (mainly because there is no CGT payable, and the great benefit of trusts is that they provide a 50% discount off CGT, so 30% to 15% and better personal liability protection, that’s about it). So if you are starting off wrapping, don’t worry about trusts, all you need is a company (but follow the law/rules in regards to running a company).

If you have a mixture of buy and hold and wraps, create the above trust structure and then place the wraps in a company that is the beneficiary of the trust (keep the corporate truste (which is company that runs the trust) separate from the beneficiary ’wrap’ company).

Also with the use of accountants, the idea I like is basically a book keeper (to do all the boring stuff, putting house under the asset collum, income in, etc) and having an one accountant as a main advisor, one that you can throw off ideas (via email) and he will think about and then tell you how to do it (as opposed to one who won’t tell you anything or tell you it’s illegal).

In regards to putting other business in a trust, I would encourage a separate business, as you don’t want taint your RE assets with, for example you web company (which could be sued by a customer).

Buy the book TerryW suggested. It provides all the other answer.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Participant
    @terryw

Lucifer

Why not use a trust with wraps or LOs (I do for both). This adds another layer of protection (your shares in the comany are exposed to creditors) and also allows the income (and capital gains if any) to be distributed at your discretion.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Email Me

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Are you talking nett profit or gross profit, what type of tax structure are you illuding to, how many properties do you own now, how many benefeciaries do you have, ??? clarity leads to the truth.

@ffcomm

For TerryW:

Well you could use a trust, but a company to me seems simpler, rather than trying to find people with low inome to be your beneficaries (although it’s done on paper, you still have to find out how much they pay in tax, etc), more an ease of use issue. But either one is fine.

Also you can invest in your own wrapping business with a DIY super fund (if you already had either alarge portfolio or had a DIY Super). I don’t (I could be wrong here though) think you can do that with a trust.

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Profile photo of AceyduceyAceyducey
    Participant
    @aceyducey

Seek professional advice – the advice in this thread is getting positively dangerous!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

@ffcomm

True Aceyducey!

Go and see an accountnat/lawyer!!! I’ve thrown up the sort of structure so that you can see what sort of direction you might want to aim for. Of course a accountant/lawyer may advise another structure. Thats fine. The important question is ‘why?’ If you get an answer like “because it is easy” I think I’m fairly right in saying find another accountant, but if you get another saying “we will use a hybrid trust instead” or something like it – you’ve found someone you can work with.

Hope I’ve helped (a bit) and not scared you off.

BTW 30% tax is the maximum, usually it is pretty easy to get it below 10% (or a paper loss).

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.