All Topics / General Property / Finding CF+ve properties is proving difficult

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Oh ok, SIS spill the beans what is the Domino Effect you are talking about [medieval][thumbsup2]

I promise I want tell anyone![whistle]

Regards Bear

POSITVE CASHFLOW properties and Joint Ventures available!
    For the BEST deals register via E-mail [email protected]
    DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Bear,

It’s a secret… so many secrets…

cheers
    r

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

I use the same strategy as you SIS. Older properties support newer ones.

My guess of the domino effect.

1. Buy 1 property
    2. Use equity in that to buy another property
    3. Use equity in both to buy 2 more.
    4. then you buy 4 more. You now have 8.
    5. Then you buy 8 more

etc etc

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

I love the techniques so called ‘Domino Effect’ that SIS used. One day I will use it as well.

Good on you SIS.

SIS, are you going to use your domino effect’s techniques this year as well?

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Richmond,

portfolio is back to 12, but have been trading off a couple properties, nothing to special, but replaced them with better quality properties and made some quick cash…

apart from that, nothing else been happening…

Hey Bear,

domino effect – big secret…

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

@still-in-school

Oh wait,

you still there Bear,

… Chan does know the “domino effect” and Yack is sorta on the lines of it…

though its all secret…

Cheers,
    sis

ps… do you guys know why is called the domino effect, if it fails, your in trouble…

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964

Ah ok, was thinking along similar lines to what yack said. But still waiting for the secret str8 froom the horses mouth…….LOL

Regards Bear

POSITVE CASHFLOW properties and Joint Ventures available!
    For the BEST deals register via E-mail [email protected]
    DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

thanks SIS.

OK, as i understand it, what you call offset gearing, I would call ‘having an overall portfolio which is CF+VE’.

In that case you are a person after my own heart, which is what I am aiming to do. but since we’re not in a boom right now and i think I’d be buying at top dollar right now and not get much growth for a while maybe, I’m not doing any neg gearing right now. But I’m still buying CF+ve because as a freelancer, the other thing i want to do is replace my income both for me and for the banks. not only to live on eventually but to support the odd negatively geared growth property which i’ll purchase in 2-3 years time, once I have enough caash surplus.

So SIS, you say you got to 2.1 mill in a year, but from what amount a year ago? How much actual capital did you start with of your own? You must have at least had a guarantor? I mean, it’s not easy to get finance at the best of times, is it, and you must have had a few extra challenges due to being young, without a track record or whatever with lenders, no full time job (or did you? ) and a student and all that…i mean how did you start and with how much and when?

cheers-
    mini

PS as for the domino effect, is secret dodgy?
    Or is it just, that if everyone knows about it, it won’t work for you any more?

If it means highly geared and pray that something doesn’t go wrong because otherwise everything will fall, that sounds high risk *to me*.

If interest rates rise (though hopefully you fixed them) or you didn’t get a tenant for a while or property prices fall just when you need to ‘liquidate’ and by selling you’ll suffer a worse loss than what you owe, i can quite see that it could be a dangerous strategy. What’s your LVR on your property portfolio?

But it kind of does explain why you need to do so many fancy calculations to feel like you’re making money.

but it does sound pretty fancy, a student controlling 2.1 million of property….

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Mini

It now looks like you and I agree too. My overall portfolio is neutral or slightly ve-. But i do have a job to support it.

And I agree with your strategy at the moment. I am glad to hear that you will still buy quality stuff in a few years time.

@still-in-school

Hi Mini,

actually i was thinking about, offset gearing would definetly suit you, in your current position, the reason being is that you have an excellent lot of cashflow, but some of that can be used to subsidise a -ve geared property, which could further fund you more finance and quick asset growth… do have a look at it, as your properties can carry the load of a -ve geared property.

Hey Mini, heres a link to an old post, but covers most your questions…Link to old post

@still-in-school

PS as for the domino effect, is secret dodgy?
    Or is it just, that if everyone knows about it, it won’t work for you any more?

“domino effect” can work for anyone, but has plenty of risk, it definetly exposes you to a high risk level, if not planned well… but cant say to much more on it… (its a secret)

What’s your LVR on your property portfolio?

its not maxed out, but im always rasing the level and trying to keep it close to 70% lately

….though thanks for your kind words Mini, but in real life, no one really knows anything about my investing side… though im always happy to share on the forum… [party]

Cheers,
    sis

Participant
    @minimogul

> hi SIs,
    >
    > “Hi Mini,
    > actually i was thinking about, offset gearing would definetly suit you, in
    > your current position, the reason being is that you have an excellent lot of
    > cashflow,

when you say ‘excellent’ it’s about the average NZ wage, about enough to top up a 300K 5 percent yielding Q’land property. And be neutral.

but I am thinking more along the lines of buying some -or work my way up to- some blocks of flats in NZ towns yielding 15 percent or better for the next 2 years, ending up with the equivalent of 8-10 properties in the next 2-3 years, because I still want to grow the serviceability cashflow part of my portfolio up a bit more until I ‘neutralise it down’ – offset it – with some neg geared growth properties. I am feeling the vibe that the confidence has gone out of the property market, because it’s full of people like yack and Billfromoz and other voices, who reckon ‘don’t buy now’ and ‘i’m sitting out for a bit’. That mass sentiment is going to make prices flatten and sure in a year there will be some good deals about compared to now, but they still won’t be magically CF+ve.

>So but some of that can be used to subsidise a -ve geared property,
    > which could further fund you more finance and quick asset growth…

http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/bulletin/EdDesk.nsf/0/716ca9a406a48fdaca256c170010bf31?OpenDocument

Quick asset growth, eh?

“The new study by property analyst Charter Keck Cramer of the 3000-plus new central Melbourne apartments sold since 1992 shows the average price gain was 1.3% a year after inflation. “

…… the resale market has been characterised by stagnant prices with the majority of resales achieving minimal, if any, capital appreciation over and above inflation,” says the study.

This analysis, covering more than 3000 apartments resold since 1992, shows annual capital growth of 10%-plus only occurred in 6.8% of the sample. So much for marketing promises of more than double-digit growth from day one. “

“A breakdown of the study showed the St Kilda Road precinct did best – although average growth of 2% a year can hardly be seen as earth-shattering – and one-bedroom apartments also scored better than their bigger counterparts.

Of course, as Papaleo points out, the other component of investment return is rental income. “The market for tenants is becoming more competitive. While there is no bloodbath yet, incentives are creeping into the rental market.” He says these “bells and whistles” include furniture, rent-free holidays and more flexible leases. With gross rental returns only about 3.5% to 4%, there is not much room to move. “

So it seems that we haven’t had ‘quick asset growth’ in apartments, since 1992!!! I’m sureprised actually because I did a websearch to try and find out what some actual growth data was for Aus, and got stopped dead in my tracks when this site was the first one I read.

I can only assume house with land properties did better, BUT, I’ll take 10 percent cash return after costs over 3.5 percent yields plus 2 percent growth a year, any day.

And if growth (houses) is so much better than the apartment market, then fine, like i said I’m getting ready to do some growth properties in 2-3 years, just before the next big rise. but I don’t think it will get really good again for a while. This is because the government doesn’t want it to. They *want* the property market to deflate.

So while they are deflating away, people will still need somewhere to live….

So although I like the overall longterm strategy of balanced portfolio with +ves balancing or outweighing the neg’s, I won’t be adding any negatives NOW.

Quick (which is all rather relative in property terms) asset growth is great, but now?

I don’t know.
    I know some are, but I’m not prepared to take the risk.

> look at it, as your properties can carry the load of a -ve geared property.
    > Hey Mini, heres a link to an old post, but covers most your questions.

cheers-
    mini

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Mini,

Thing is, many people bought cheap properties prior to the boom- which have now doubled or tripled in price, so we can’t afford those *particular* types of properties anymore. The post about people’s 1st properties demonstrated people bought their IP’s at dead cheap prices. For me, I wanted to pay about the same price for an IP as I bought my first IP for, and then realised I would have to buy in a much smaller place to get that kind of price.

I think people’s talk about “quality investments” is more about them wanting to repeat their previous purchases than wanting to pay double or triple. The boom has meant that I’ve had to rethink my expectations about what I can get for a price I wanna pay. And so, for me at least, when I learned more about property (knew NOTHINFG really when I first bought, but I had such big plans- hehe), then I’ve developed a set of criteria which means I am paying so much more than I wanna. I wish all the IP’s were cheaper!!

I think many people on here- including yack- are very pro-real estate. He just has a different strategy. Bill, on the other hand, is into shares and promotes them. I don’t think Bill is into RE at *all* actually- not from what I can recall of many of his past posts.

kay henry

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

So SIS, what you’re saying is, that in a bit over 12 months or even less, you’ve gone to a net worth of 700k? (70% LVR on portfolio of $2.1 million?) How do you do this as a student working part time as the maintenance guy in a night club (or something along those lines?)… Is it just through off set gearing and your domino theory?

Participant
    @minimogul

hi KH,

> Mini,
    > Thing is, many people bought cheap properties prior to the boom- which have
    > now doubled or tripled in price, so we can’t afford those *particular* types
    > of properties anymore.

All properties have gone up, with the ‘ones that weren’t supposed to’ going up last, kinda like a catch-up.

>The post about people’s 1st properties

which was that? I missed it…

>demonstrated
    > people bought their IP’s at dead cheap prices.

It all seems dead cheap a couple of years after the fact, which is what it’s all about!! properties go up in value!

>For me, I wanted to pay about
    > the same price for an IP as I bought my first IP for, and then realised I
    > would have to buy in a much smaller place to get that kind of price.

Yeah, because the rising prices works for you if you already own and against you if you haven’t bought yet!

> I think people’s talk about “quality investments”

which is a word which actually cannot be defined, like the word humour. Read ZEN and the art of motorcycle maintenance for the full philosophical musing!!
    like some would say quality means ‘near where I live’. Others woudl say it means ‘more upmarket, smeg appliances.’
    Some would value the quality of the property with the
    ‘quality’ of the tenant, i.e. leased to the government to locum doctors or whatever.

Some would say quality means ‘cute, desirable’.
    others would say ‘quality’ means brand new circular quay apartments’. Some (i.e.) would say that a ‘quality’ investment means a great performing one which makes money.

(Me).

>is more about them wanting
    > to repeat their previous purchases

A lot of them can’t repeat their previous purchases, even if they have equity, because they are negative gearing and ‘saving tax’. once they’ve saved all the tax they can, a loss is a loss, and they can’t afford to get a second property.

>than wanting to pay double or triple. The
    > boom has meant that I’ve had to rethink my expectations about what I can get
    > for a price I wanna pay.

wait a bit and they;ll go down a bit. Australia and in particular sydney market is one of the most over-valued on the planet, according to a recent article. it must correct.

>And so, for me at least, when I learned more about
    > property (knew NOTHINFG really when I first bought, but I had such big plans-
    > hehe), then I’ve developed a set of criteria which means I am paying so much
    > more than I wanna. I wish all the IP’s were cheaper!!

There are a lot of places where they are cheaper….if you got a few there, you could use the proceeds to negative gear one where you ‘want’ one.

> I think many people on here- including yack- are very pro-real estate. He just
    > has a different strategy. Bill, on the other hand, is into shares and promotes
    > them. I don’t think Bill is into RE at *all* actually- not from what I can
    > recall of many of his past posts.

no, he’s into options writing and ‘mentoring’ people (sic)

*chokes*

Profile photo of kay henrykay henry
    @kay-henry

Mini, I’m not into the term “quality investment properties” either- I think it’s bourgeois- not what I’m into at all. [thumbsdownanim

When I saw the pics of your properties all done up, I thought romantically of them- they looked cosy. Yeah, I know- I’m not supposed to have emotion about RE, but I do. I have also had the awareness, from since I was a child and mum and I used to drive around on weekends looking at houses, that each person’s home needs to be treated respectfully. Noone wants their home put down. I always cringe at the thought of people walking into some old person’s home and trashing it verbally- would make the old person feel terrible, I think :o((

One person’s trash is a homeowner’s treasure, often.

kay henry

Profile photo of wayne.short23640wayne.short23640
    @wayne.short23640

Rugbyfan,
    How do identify a couple of areas to focus on that will have good yeilds and potential. What do you look for / research ?

Profile photo of wayne.short23640wayne.short23640
    @wayne.short23640

To All

Does anyone have any ideas on where to look for +ve cash properties in QLD or Northern NSW.

Participant
    @minimogul

Yeah Kay, thanks for saying that, I get a kick out of it too, even though 2 out of 3 properties I own I’ve never been inside. (that, bizarre but true, includes one of the houses I renovated!!)

I must get around to having a picket fence put up to replace that shitty concrete blob of an excuse for a fence.

Participant
    @minimogul

wayne, it’s likely to be the area with the lowest median house price.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.