All Topics / General Property / Finding CF+ve properties is proving difficult

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Profile photo of Michelle_GMichelle_G
    @michelle_g

Hi,
    I’m new to property investing and still learning, so please excuse my question if it is too basic – What is an IRR?

Also, there seems to be an argument going here that it is better to invest in -ve CF properties because they have greater growth than +ve CF properties.
    In my simplistic view: If you pay, for example, a $20K deposit on a $100K +ve CF property and it never increases in value – with a tenant paying rent and this paying the loan, you still end up with an $80 profit at the end of the loan (you’ve only paid $20K out of your own hard earned cash).
    Even if the property fell in value eg to $80K, you would still make $60K profit. Also allowing for inflation over the term of the loan, it still seems to me that there would be a significant profit, not to mention the extra cash you’ve earned from the +ve cash flow.
    So even without growth you have quite a large return on investment.
    Am I being too simplistic here, or is this a valid comment?

Regards, Michelle.

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

Bear, Yack, SIS & Other,

Thank you for your responded. It is nice to hear other people point of view.

As I mention before I love investing and yes they are offset gearing (SIS’s Rule). At the moment my -ve gearing are more then +ve gearing therefore the only way to balance it, is to buy +ve gearing or may be selling a couple -ve gearing.

But I can’t sale at this stage due to fix rate, so I have to wait (there you go, the disadvantage of fixing the interest rate).

If I have to opportunity (in the future) I will look for quality investment property which is very similar to Yack and SIS’s criteria.

Good luck with you investing decision and hope all go well as plans.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars
    [Retire Young, Retire Rich] [strum]

Participant
    @jetdollars

Yack,

Back in 1999 I was a share trader, I like trading shares because there is excitement every minutes of the day!

I bought at the wrong time and sale at the wrong time as well this due to in-experience and lack of knowledge. So I lose some money in share tradings.

Then I look for other opportunity ie. managed funds and I make some money, but it just too slow.

Then I look for more opportunity ie. Property investing and stack to it since because I am making money from it.

Next opportunity is to buy quality business! When? don’t know! wish me luck!

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by BEAR1964:

Hey SIS, how ya going?

Since Kay bought up a Bear market, I thought I would put in a Bears word……….LOL

I actually totally agree with what u say SIS, But I also believe that +ve properties is the only way some people can actually break into the RE game/market. As they grow they can then modify their strategies, but for instance why even try to -VE when you’re not even earning enough money to pay tax in the first place? Get my drift?

Regards Bear

POSITVE CASHFLOW properties and Joint Ventures available!
    For the BEST deals register via E-mail [email protected]
    DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

totally agreed and I know where you coming from, thank you for sharing!

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964
    Originally posted by Michelle_G:

Hi,
    I’m new to property investing and still learning, so please excuse my question if it is too basic – What is an IRR?

Also, there seems to be an argument going here that it is better to invest in -ve CF properties because they have greater growth than +ve CF properties.
    In my simplistic view: If you pay, for example, a $20K deposit on a $100K +ve CF property and it never increases in value – with a tenant paying rent and this paying the loan, you still end up with an $80 profit at the end of the loan (you’ve only paid $20K out of your own hard earned cash).
    Even if the property fell in value eg to $80K, you would still make $60K profit. Also allowing for inflation over the term of the loan, it still seems to me that there would be a significant profit, not to mention the extra cash you’ve earned from the +ve cash flow.

Regards, Michelle.

Hi Michelle and welcome to the forum. I think you are n the right track for starters and as you move forwards with more experience you may find other ways that suit your changed circumstances better.

One of my favourite sayings is Keep It Simple Stupid! Not suggesting for one minute that any one is stupid, but keeping things simple is the best policy. No point confusing things any more then you have to, especially till you have a grasp on the market you are playing in. Sometimes too much knowledge can be dangerous as one cant see the trees through the forest and always overlooking the simple solutions.

Regards Bear

DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Bear Said.

<<<<<<<But I also believe that +ve properties is the only way some people can actually break into the RE game/market.>>>>>>>>>>>>

I acknowledge that. However I have made the assumption – that to invest in property you need to have an income to support borrowing. You are then better off in the long run to buy good quality growth properties.

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Bear,

im fine… [whistle] but been lazy all day… [sleepy2]… and yes i do see your drift, and im more surprise Chan said this

“If I have to opportunity (in the future) I will look for quality investment property “

i knew, id turn him round… lol [tongue]

Cheers,
    sis

ps… Hi Michelle_G, heres a link on IRR’s

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Participant
    @jetdollars

Replied in BLUE

Originally posted by Michelle_G:

Hi,
    I’m new to property investing and still learning, so please excuse my question if it is too basic – What is an IRR? I think ‘Internal Rate of Return’

I think it is a valid comment and I do agreed! but the reasons people like to investing in -ve gearing property because the grow is much faster than +ve gearing property and there tax bracket is very high so they can claim a lot of tax from it.

Where as those who investing +ve gearing property because some might not even working, other with low income so +ve gearing is the way to go for them. Once they have enough +ve cash flow then they can start investing in -ve gearing property to offset the +ve gearing, but growth much faster.

Regards, Michelle.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Profile photo of BEAR1964BEAR1964
    Participant
    @bear1964
    Originally posted by yack:

Bear Said.

<<<<<<<But I also believe that +ve properties is the only way some people can actually break into the RE game/market.>>>>>>>>>>>>

I acknowledge that. However I have made the assumption – that to invest in property you need to have an income to support borrowing. You are then better off in the long run to buy good quality growth properties.

Thats where Equity Mate comes in …LOL

Not to mention No Doc and low doc loans

Regards Bear

DONT MISS OUT!!!!!

Participant
    @jetdollars

I think this is the first time that Yack, SIS and Chan$ has somethings in commons…lol….quality investment property:

Where are they?

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

<<<<I think this is the first time that Yack, SIS and Chan$ has somethings in commons…lol….quality investment property:>>>>

Now we need to work on Leigh K, Mini Mogul and Pisces. Well there are some battles you cant win.

Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by yack:

<<<<I think this is the first time that Yack, SIS and Chan$ has somethings in commons…lol….quality investment property:>>>>

Now we need to work on Leigh K, Mini Mogul and Pisces. Well there are some battles you cant win.

Nice one Yack, I really enjoyed reading your posted.

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

There is something really really bogus about SIS, the student with the part time job, who’s cutting down his hours, controlling a 2.1 million portfolio that he built up in 12 months, buying more 300K+ properties like mad, overseas in ‘secret locations’, (of course).

Also, a lot of your arguments are bogus non-arguments anyway, like saying ‘low returns’ or ‘small returns’ are not worth it, but then saying that ‘if the IRR stacks up’, it’s worth it.

i thought we agreed on a previous thread that IRR means yield, or ‘returns’. Now what’s your bottom line on an IRR stacking up? At what point (figure) do you say ‘this works’ or ‘this doesn’t’?

How do you service a 2.1 million portfolio without being positively geared? what’s your safety net if neutrally geared? Is it really your property, or is it your parents’?

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

“Now we need to work on Leigh K, Mini Mogul and Pisces. Well there are some battles you cant win.”

yack, that’s correct.
    You can’t!

hehe

Participant
    @jetdollars
    Originally posted by MiniMogul:

How do you service a 2.1 million portfolio without being positively geared? what’s your safety net if neutrally geared? Is it really your property, or is it your parents’?

If it is positively geared then you not only can services 2.1 million but you can services billion or unlimitted amount of property.

If it is neutrally geared then you also can services unlimited amount of property!

Is it really your property, or is it your parents’?

It is a bit harsh, don’t you think? If one does not have the property then why would one said so?

Kind regards

Chan Dollars

@still-in-school
    Originally posted by MiniMogul:

Hey Mini,

the way i service and control the amount of debt vs my cashflow is through offset gearing…

through the principles of “offset gearing” one property provides finance, while another property which is +ve cashflow, looks after itself, yet also at the same time, has enough cashflow to pay down the debt of a -ve geared property…

@still-in-school

doing this, costs me nothing, yet both properties are looking after one another, then through the beauty of offset gearing, my whole income from my job is not effected, while still at the same time my portfolio grows…

… my safety net is open, as im position of my own income + a few of the properties can be offloaded at anytime…

… lol, of course this is all my own property, ask many of the guys who i meet up with, they have seen statements and contracts of proof of me purchasing them.

Cheers,
    sis

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

SIS,

In the past you’ve said you’ve got a partner in your investing… is this still the case? How big is the portfolio at the moment?

Cheers
    r

@still-in-school

Hi Richmond,

i do have a partner, but not in doing my deals, my partner is a CPA, but also we do a thing called a domino effect, when getting closer to our LVR limits…

…. this is one little secret ive never told, yet only 2 people on this forum board else know about the “domino effect”

…. this is one of the biggest techniques, but only a very few know this.

Cheers,
    sis

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

So, how big’s the empire now? How many properties?

cheers
    r

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.