All Topics / Help Needed! / Do it right?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of MartineMartine
    Participant
    @martine

Hi there
    I am new on the block, trying to gain enough wealth to retire comfortably in 10 years time.
    I purchased a block of land which has tripled in just 8 months, I have now used the equity from my land to purchase another block of land and construct a house, which I plan to rent out but the cost will definately not meet the 11 second solution, so I guess this will be a negative geared property am I right and is it OK, my plan is also to use the equity from this property to build a house on the other block of land also renting it out. Can someone please tell me if I am on the right track?
    Thanks Martine[8]

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

Martine,

Different strategies suit different people. With new property you are obviously going to have tax benefits with depreciation and building write-off. You might still have +cash flow property as described by Margaret Lomas in articles in API because of these non-cash deductions, that is the rent plus tax refund is more than your cash outflows.
    You have obviously chosen well with your land. Congratulations on what you have achieved so far

crj

Profile photo of MartineMartine
    Participant
    @martine

Crj
    Thank you, I never thought of my investment attempts in this manner.
    This is really a great site to gain advise and encouragement.
    Martine[:)]

Profile photo of FFCommFFComm
    @ffcomm

As crj says “Different strategies suit different people”, so only you can say if you are doing the right thing or not.

My only caution would be, that you can meet the costs of owning a negatively geared property (Please add income protection to that as well), and what is the intention?? To sell off?? Or to pay down the loan???

Just a few thoughts![;)]

Rgds.
    Lucifer_au

Participant
    @martine

Thanks Lucifer
    My intensions are to build and hold for about 10 years after this time I am not sure, but if the worst came to the worst I could continue to pay for the negatively geared property.
    I guess I will give it a go and if it doesn’t work then I could always sell.
    Thanks again
    Martine[8)]

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

Guys, just cos it doesn’t meet the 11ss doesn’t mean it will be negative. It could be neutral.

Martine, you have done really well with your purchases, and your strategy seems fine by me. To work out if it will be CF-, CF+ or neutral, work out your interest costs, rates, etc. etc. and subtract them from the rent. That will tell you where you are at.

Cheers
    Mel

Participant
    @martine

Thanks for the advise Mel
    I will look at the figures and read Steve’s book again to get an idea on which cashflow this property will generate
    Regards
    Martine[:D]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Who cares about an 11sec solution when you have tripled the value in 8 months! Welldone.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing
    Originally posted by Terryw:

Who cares about an 11sec solution when you have tripled the value in 8 months! Welldone.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

[:D]True words Terry.. there are many alternatives

CONGRATULATIONS MARTINE

“Money is a currency, like electricity and it requires momentum to make it Effective”

Participant
    @martine

Thanks Terry
    For the words of encouragement I am now ready to tackle another.
    Regards
    Martine[:D]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.