Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of BoysieBoysie
    Participant
    @boysie

Hi everyone,[:D] this is my first post, I’m halfway thru “0 to 130 in 3.5” and I can feel the property investing bug taking hold of me, what I would like to know is, when buying your 2nd or 3rd etc IP do you keep going back to the same bank or lending instition.

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

this has been in a thread before.

I use the same, makes sense, they got my history, no explanations, easy to do. Just my opinion

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek

Hi Boysie,

I recommend you speak to a property savvy broker before you do anything and discuss with them what you want to achieve.

This discussion will allow you, with the assistance and guidance of your broker, to set your finances in order at the beginning, thereby reducing costs (and hassles) further along the way.

As an example our preinvestment days bank had one of the worse lending policies for my situation. As a result we transfered our accounts to another bank at a cheaper cost then than we woould have incurred later on our investment journey.

At the same time we set up line of credit accounts and use the line of credit for deposits and costs which allows us to go wherever we can/want for funds and ensures all our properties are not cross collateralised.

As such our property loans are spread across three institutions and if necessary we can touch base with more lenders as we progress further along our investment journey.

Derek

[email protected]

Profile photo of PenguinJrPenguinJr
    @penguinjr

Hmm..

Hey Derek, do you mind explaining wat ‘savvy’ is? and the concept of line of credit?

Thanx in advance =)

Financially Independent = Gateway to FastTrack

Profile photo of DerekDerek
    @derek
    Originally posted by PenguinJr:

Hey Derek, do you mind explaining wat ‘savvy’ is? and the concept of line of credit?

If you say someone is savvy you mean they really understand whatever the subject matter happens to be. In this case I was referring to a savvy mortgage broker who knows more about financing than just being able to sell a product. A savvy broker (like a savvy accountant) will help you get the structure right in the beginning – their knowledge and assistance can turn a rough ride into a smooth one.

A line of credit (also referred to as an equity loan)is best explained as follows.

Assume you own a property valued at $400K with a mortgage of $200.

Banks will lend 80% of this property (Ie $320K) less the existing debt of $200K which gives you additional borrowings of $120K.

This $120K can set up in a line of credit and is readily accessible to you as you are ‘approved’ to this amount – no questions asked.

Now assume you find an IP valued at $200K – you can now go to another lender, figuratively write a cheque for $40K + costs and then borrow the remaining $160K.

Derek

[email protected]

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Boysie,
    Depends on your many things, however LVR is a big factor. Speaking personally, I will have three investment loans soon, and they will all be with different lenders, because two of them are 90% LVR. The likelihood of having 2 90% LVR with one lender is relatively remote. So spreading the loans across multiple banks was the appropriate course for me.

Your situation will be different, so the path that a mortgage broker will advise you will be different too.

James

Profile photo of TCTC
    @tc

Boysie,

I recommend keeping it simple. After a few loans, the bank knows you well, you know the staff and will probably build up a rapport with the manager or loans officer. They will come to understand your goals (especially if you tell them) and see you as an excellent customer.

In the end I think this is worth getting a slightly more costly deal, if necessary. You will also owe so much money that you will qualify for a package (often called “professional packages”) which we entitle you to some discounts (eg0.6% on int rate) and some freebies etc.

TC

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

The problem with keeping all your loans with one bank is that eventually you will hit their ‘lending limit’, and they will knock you back, no matter what the deal is like.

At this point, it’s necessary to go to another bank. If you have three loans with three banks, you now have three choices for your next loan that all know you already.

One other problem with all loans with one bank is that (I think most – a Mortgage Broker can clarify) when calculating servicability, they will add 2% or so to the interest rate for all their loans, whereas with other banks loans, they may take them at face value.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

I used the same lender all my life because all I need now is a phone call to get loan ie. approve/not approve.

When this lender don’t want to lend me anymore money then I will go some where else.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re on your way to Frolic Freedom!]

Profile photo of rufruf
    @ruf

Hi,
    When I buy another Inv Prop I investigate at the time which is the best bank/institution with the best deal for the loan. I’m currently with 2 institutions and find that I have now built up a relationship with the loan mgrin the 2nd bank – ANZ. With this relationship I can negotiate deals/discounts and providing the purchase is good , get 100% finance + closing costs. I am wary though that lending from one institution will eventually get risky because the one bank will hold titles over all my property – so I ever had problems repaying one , theres nothing stopping them from selling the lot. I think 1) look for the best lender-deal and then 2) take from your current lender understanding the potential risks. I’ve never heard of a lending -limit as long as your LVR on all your properties is below a certain %, 85 I think it is. If you have a good relationship with your bank lender he/she will tell you all the algorithms for LVR, DSR etc and how they calculate whether you will get the next loan or not …[:I]
    cheers

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

I didnt elaborate in my first post, but like Chan and others, for me I do all my loans with the one bank manager over the phone, as I buy properties over the phone and fax.

My bank manager knows me and where I am heading. He bent the rules by thinking and acting laterally. All he is interested in doing is making sure I can service the loans at the end of the day.

I qualified ages ago for a professional package and I have to say he advises me along the way, not just taking money. I get a discunted rate. Now this may not appeal to everyone. But having my history with one person, saves me both time, costs and alleviates the dramas of the need to please explains….

When he stops assisting me, and when I reach my limit (if ever) then I will go elsewhere.

Mortgage brokers couldnt help me when I first started, despite property and equity and job income etc etc etc…I see no reason to change, the person that got me the help when all others failed, was this bank manager….if you are onto a good thing, stick with it!

Oh and I never deal with staff, I deal solely with him. Direct lines to his mobile and if he cant answer, he calls me back! (that day)

So consider your options and make your decisions based on your circumstances

Elves

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I personally like to have my loans with different banks (using 4 different banks at the moment), but if you have all loans with the one lender, you have more ammunition when negotiating deals with them. But then if their lending policy suddenly changes, you may have to go elsewhere for the next one – which is easy if you have a LOC setup for deposits.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.