All Topics / Heads Up! / Seminar in march

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Profile photo of B.JB.J
    Participant
    @b.j

Hi all,
    Well I have just booked in for the seminar in march. I have never been to any semiar before and it was not easy to fork out $990 dollars, but I decided it was time to learn first hand from the experts and take some action.
    Have any of you been to the seminar that Steve has run last year? How many people usually come? Do you tend to get lost in the crowd?
    I don’t have extensive knowledge on all the things that steve talks about in his book, so I hope that it doesn’t all go over my head.
    Any feedback would be helpful for me to prepare.[^]
    Cheers,
    Ben.

Profile photo of woodsmanwoodsman
    @woodsman

Ben,
    I haven’t personally been to Steve’s seminars however my only advice, is after finding as much as you can from other sources as well, make sure you put it into practice. The only way you will have flushed the $990 down the toilet is doing nothing.

Investing isn’t rocket science, you will pick it up quickly.

I would be interested in your thoughts after going to the seminar itself.

Good luck

James

Profile photo of MarkyMarkMarkyMark
    @markymark

Hi Ben,
    I went last year and it was hard for me to fork out the cash as well as I am not big on seminars at all.

I think I sat there for about 10 minutes looking at the form on my computer screen with my card number and details filled out before I pressed the send button. [:(]

As far as the course itself went it is very easy to follow, so don’t worry. I think a little too easy; I think it could have been a little meatier.

But I am not trashing it because it was very good and I do not regret going at all.

Steve has allot of energy and he seems very focused and motivated, which is really great.

In order to prepare, if I was you get an idea of the current conditions of the market (raising interest rates, affordability levels etc)

Then when you’re at the course bombard Steve and the others with questions. Don’t feel bad about doing this, you’ve paid so get in there and milk it for every bit of information that you can get and write it all down so you don’t forget any of it.

I met Steve at the last one and one things for sure he has allot of experience. The reason I say current market conditions is because this is difficult information to get if your just starting out (like me and it sounds like you too). There are tones of opinions on this, just do a search on this forum or the Internet.

However, I think that the most reliable analysis of where things are going is from someone who has A. Allot of experience and B. has allot to lose if things go bad.

But then in saying that you still should not take what he says as gospel either in my opinion.

What I am really trying to say is,
    Try to get something from the course that you cant get from anywhere else.

The foods good too.

MarkyMark

Profile photo of yackyack
    @yack

Marky Mark Said

“and one things for sure he has allot of experience”

I dont think 3 and a half years experience is alot of experience. Usually a full market cycle is around than 5-7 years.

There are other ways to spend $1000.

But good Luck. Make sure you implement what you learn. Nothing beats experience.

@markymark

I know what your saying there Yak,
    However, I don’t think experience is always measured in terms of time.

Investor A may have been investing for 10 years and have bought 4 properties and looked at 100 property deals

Investor B: May have been investing for 3.5 years and have looked at over 500 properties and bought 150 of them

Whose got more experience?
    – Investor A has in terms of property cycles and changing market conditions, probably
    – Investor B has because of the shear number of deals and amount of activity that has been done. Hence good experience in other areas

So why does it have to take 5 – 7 years to become experienced? The only thing I can think of is so you experience first hand (as an active investor) the different moods of the market provided these moods actually do occur over that 5 – 7 term?

@yack

In my view time in Property Investment TIME in the market is very important. Sure you could purchase heaps in a rising market. But I value the inputfrom someone who has been in the market a long time and been through several cycles and been successful in keeping all or most of his properties.

Each to their own.

Profile photo of jancrowsjancrows
    @jancrows

Hi all
    There is something very important to learn from ” experience”
    The baker who has 20 years experience in baking a chocolate cake day in day out………….still baking them “same”cakes.
    Then theres the baker that has one years experience in baking the same chocolate cakes.
    Who has the most experience…???
    Isnt it about the same ??? and what each does with the “experience” to diversify theron and be successful is most important??
    Regards

“Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

hey jancrows,

lots of lessons in what you said! *grin*

1) There is a 20 year trend that the demand for chocolate cake will continue.

2) Experience won’t necessarily make you any more money.

3) A person in the game for short time can do better than a veteran.

4) Do you still want to be baking cakes in 20 years?

cheers-
    Mini

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

1000 is too expensive to me. I would use $1000 to set up a personal investment library.

Julian [8)]

THERE IS ALWAYS A BETTER WAY!

Profile photo of brgorriebrgorrie
    Participant
    @brgorrie

Hello all, my first post wow :-)

The “experience” thing has prompted me to post
    a question. Don’t know if it belongs here but
    here goes.

Realestate experience, isn’t it more complex
    than just how long you’ve been investing for ?

If I’ve only purchased properties in a single
    location then I will have only experienced the
    same property cycle. But as differing locations
    (towns, cities, states, suburbs, countries, regions )
    etc have their own property cycles isn’t it
    possible to accumulate a wide variety of property
    cycle knowledge in a short time frame through
    investigating a large number of deals in a
    number of locations ?

Especially as rural locations are more inclined
    to have their local property cycle affected by
    the surrounding industries than suburban locations
    are. Though you can see suburbs in cities boom
    and bust at differing times to the city’s own
    property cycle.

Or is it more the experience of trying to successfully
    invest in realestate when interest rates are high
    that you can only come by if you’ve invested for
    a long period of time ?

But you can get that experience by invested in
    another country where interest rates are higher.

ok that was three questions…[:D]

have fun all,

Brian.

@yack

You cannot compare property investing with its property cycle and all the effects of interest rates, population growth, eceonomic effects, tax policy etc to baker making chocolate cakes.

Sure there are successful bakers and the average baker. Just as there are the successful and average property investors.

But give me a property investor who is successful and been in the market a long time. Then I may go to the seminar.

Profile photo of B.JB.J
    Participant
    @b.j

Thanks everybody for your opinions/feedback. I will be researching hard before the seminar to make the most of it. Marky Mark, sounds like you got a bit out of it. Did it help you in your property purchases?? The way I see it is if I get just a few ideas out of it and act on them, then I will get the money back in my future investments.
    Surely some of you other people have gone to Steve’s seminar, anyone else have anything to say??

@markymark

Hi B.J,
    The seminar was something I think I needed. Before I went to the seminar I was suffering from analysis paralysis.
    Actually I’m still suffering from analysis paralysis but now I am suffering with a much better plan than what I had. I am much more organised and active now. Where before that I was just ploughing through book after book. Which is great, but there’s something to be said for just getting out there and doing it.

For me its not so much the information, because that is available everywhere, and I actually agree with Yak and others on their attitude towards most seminars. I would be hard pressed to go to another one myself. Because it must provide something that I cant get out of books, forum etc.

Regards,

MarkyMark [^]

Profile photo of Steve McKnightSteve McKnight
    Keymaster
    @stevemcknight

Hi,

Interesting points made here.

Re: experience, if you were looking for weaknesses then the length of my time in the marketplace is certainly a point open for debate.

Moving sideways a little, two arguments that have come up recently cause me to chuckle.

The first – my success is a function of being lucky in the market. E.g. “if I had of bought when you did then I could have done it too!” In that case you have to ask – why didn’t you?

The second is – your success is because you are an accountant. Er, perhaps, but show me another accountant who has done what I’ve done and I’ll be more inclined to agree.

I may not know much, but what I do know I know well enough to profit from it.

Truth be told, you can always find a reason not to act. In relation to the seminar – it might be too expensive, or it might be too far away, or who knows how many other reasons.

But spend a moment thinking about reasons why you might come and how you might benefit from the information and the experience.

Now, did someone mention chocolate cake? I might go and find me a piece [;)]

Bye,

Steve McKnight

Remember that success comes from doing things differently.

Steve McKnight | PropertyInvesting.com Pty Ltd | CEO
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com

Success comes from doing things differently

Profile photo of Hux001Hux001
    @hux001

Well said Steve.

I think we all need to keep the big picture in mind and think of what we are trying to achieve before committing to seminars, buying books and listening to radio programs about property.

Review your goals, write them down and go for it by taking action. It’s easy to be negative. I found the seminar last November very useful. For me the best reinforcement was meeting others in the same position as me who have decided to build a future on property and to see they are just ordinary people like myself – yet they are achieving it.

@yack

Hux

What have you done since Nov? Have you acted yet?

@hux001

Yes, bought my second IP and looking at others now…I think it’s a momentum thing, you have to keep going.

@hux001

Can I also add that as far as paying the money for the seminar…it’s good value if you act on what you learn, it’s poor value if you are one of the 95% who leave and do nothing.

Simple as that !

@yack

Well Done. Are you looking at postive cashflow for all purchases? How many more do you think you will have in 6 months? Are any wraps? How much time do you have to invest? Have you been travelling alot?

@hux001

I bought for under market value so the rest of the numbers fall in place ok. My aim this year is two more, which is not many compared to some on this web-site but I think as long as you keep going forward and looking for opportunities then things work out.

Must say I’m very impressed with the info contributed by others like Bear1964, Still in School, Mini Mogul et al, they all post great stuff on the site.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.