All Topics / General Property / Fittings Depreciation Valuation?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Guys,

Thats correct there are 2 types of depreciation. On memory i think one is called Depreciation and the other one is called Diminishing Value.

Depreciation – is the same amount deduction for every year for the next so 40 years or so. (Depending on how many years are left in the Depreciating Item)

Diminishing Value – Is were the deduction of a depreciable item value, dimishies over its life. For example a dishwasher might only have a life cycle of 10 years. First year depreciation will be $100 dollar second year $90 and so on till the depreication reaches its diminish value and ends.

Though if an item, is to be either replace before hand, before its deprecation schedule has finished. It is best to complete write that item off and recieve full tax benefits.

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of JimboJamesJimboJames
    @jimbojames

Any ideas on how to go about calcualtion of depreciation of fittings and furnishings within an investment property?

It has been suggested to me that (if not buying a new property) the best way to begin is by paying a quantity surveyor to value all the fittings and furnishings, who can also give you advice on what can and can’t realistically be included.

Then there seems to be a choice between two depreciation methods – one depreciates items faster in the first part of the items life than the other. You can just choose either method?

Is it worth doing for a small property (say 1 b/r unit)that you are only holding onto for a few years, given the cost of a QS (a few hundred dollars??).

Profile photo of shaunwalkershaunwalker
    @shaunwalker

what people are telling is correct. You are better off getting a depreciation schedule done. The last schedule i had done was for the next 20 odd years, so should the tax department audit me i can show them where i got the numbers from. there are two ways they can do it, i cant remember what both of them are called.
    there is a book at dymics you can look for, called “Real Estate Taxation” it was brought out several months ago. and although the information may be slightly out of date, it gives you the exact ATO web page to go to, to find out if theres been any new rulings etc. it also explains the two types of depreciation. I found the book clear and concise, it also gave examples on how to calculate your tax.
    sorry i couldnt be more help answering exactly.
    shaun

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

JimboJames,

You can pay a quantity surveyor to get a tax depreciation schedule done for you. here is the link with some useful info:

http://www.pagekirkland.com.au/services/taxDepreciation.asp

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of RugbyfanRugbyfan
    @rugbyfan

[
    Is it worth doing for a small property (say 1 b/r unit)that you are only holding onto for a few years, given the cost of a QS (a few hundred dollars??).

[/quote]

It will make selling it to an investor easier if it has been done.

‘Eat rich food, barbeque a yuppie’

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

Check out bmtassoc.com.au Quantity Surveyors.

I believe they refund the fee if the report they produce does not get you double their fee in refund.

You get to keep it either way.

How can you lose?

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of JetDollarsJetDollars
    Participant
    @jetdollars

With my previous IP 20 to 30 years old I spend $350 to $450 (can’t remember now) for tax depreciation at $2500 per year. I think it is a good value for money.

Warm Regards

ChanDollars
    [Keep going, you’re nearly reach the end of financial freedom]

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Try this site as well:
    http://www.washingtonbrown.com.au/site/depreciation.cfm

There are a few PDF files on what stuff you can claim

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of JuliaJulia
    @julia

JimboJames,
    It is not worth paying a quantity survery unless the property (if residenital) was built after July 1985 as it is the building depreciation that makes it worthwhile. Also Quantity Surveyors are not trained in tax law. The following is an extract from recent article I wrote on the subject:

Before you spend money on a quantity surveyor make sure you have exhausted all other means. The ATO will not permit you to use the quantity surveyor’s report if you can ascertain the original cost by other means. Subsection 262A(4AJA) requires the seller of a property to provide you with the original information. TR97/25, which is available from the ATO web site, is a good reference. You should also find out if the original owner was a spec or owner builder as the building depreciation calculation cannot include their labour or profit. Make sure the quantity surveyor you use is aware of the changes in depreciation rates for plant and equipment since 1st January 2001. These are set out in detail in TR 2000/18C5, for example refrigerators are now to be depreciated over 20 years, carpets 10 years. The ruling covers most items including stuffed crocodiles that are considered to have the same life expectancy as a refrigerator.

Julia

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear
    Originally posted by Julia:
    It is not worth paying a quantity survery unless the property (if residenital) was built after July 1985 as it is the building depreciation that makes it worthwhile.
    Originally posted by Mortgage Hunter:
    Check out bmtassoc.com.au Quantity Surveyors.

I believe they refund the fee if the report they produce does not get you double their fee in refund.

Jimbo, if bmtassoc do refund the fee you have nothing to lose! For info, I had a QS report done on a 30 year old property, and have got quite a lot of depreciation on carpets, curtains et al.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of JulianJulian
    @julian

I bought An ip 20 yr, old house & got a Depreciation Schedule from Depro cost $500, it save me $5,000 in first yr. Do you think worth to do it or not?

Julian[;)]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

I would let the QS tell you if it is worth it or not. With their guarantees they will very quickly let you know if they don’t think there is anything to claim.

Cheers,

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of elveselves
    @elves

With a good accountant, they will organise a depreciation schedule anyway. As for QS’s, I am led to believe, in order to claim a depreciation, and to get the full benefits on your property, is to have a QS and not just a regular depreciation schedule.

From the comments here, it would appear that opinions differ. Well I have an accountant, and like a lot of people, they aren’t infalible.

I assume also the cost of have a QS do a schedule is also tax deductible (cost incurred).

You might liek to check out those QS who are members of an association…eg the Australian Institute of Quantity surveyors. This lists surveyors in each state, their contact details etc.

cheers

Elves

Profile photo of Rhino_2Rhino_2
    @rhino_2

G’day Jimbo,

I like julian used Deppro a couple of years ago for an investment property, and have since used them for each purchase. The two methods of available tax allowances are diminishing value and prime cost. Both of these come out at the same total after 40 years. Which is suited to you depends on the individual property.The cost of the QS is also a tax deduction, so even if you only hold onto the property for a couple of years, the savings you make far outweigh the QS fee.

Cheers Rhino[:I]

Profile photo of redwingredwing
    Participant
    @redwing

Just a fast reply,

i too used DEPPRO and was happy with the results as for which method to use… it’s up to your personal strategy…

As julia said re Post 1985 properties, i’d still get a QS in, as you may have a 40yr old property, but some reno’s done 15yrs ago, carpets, 5 yrs ago, air cond 3 yrs ago etc..

A lot in Margaret Lomas’s books re Depreciation, also check out deppro’s website..

REDWING

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Also Margaret Lomas has software available that can caculate depreication, for you. Very accurate in giving you future depreciation and diminshing values.

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.