Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Profile photo of RiskyRisky
    @risky

Mel Bear i know what most of the terms are when talking realestate investing but i just cant work out the LOC one , its probably so simple and in my face but i just cant seem to think of it.[:(]
    Could you please enlighten me [:0)]

Profile photo of picja1picja1
    @picja1

There already is a lender in Australia who lends over 40 years, not fixed though.

[email protected]

Profile photo of Mortgage HunterMortgage Hunter
    Participant
    @mortgage-hunter

quote:

Mel Bear i know what most of the terms are when talking realestate investing but i just cant work out the LOC one , its probably so simple and in my face but i just cant seem to think of it.[:(]
    Could you please enlighten me [:0)]

LOC = Line Of Credit.

The bank advances you a line of credit against which you have a chequebook or credit card. You may draw as much or as little of it as you wish. Interest is charged on what you have drawn and you may pay into it whatever you like. ie the minimum interest owed or pay it off in any timeframe you choose.

Simon Macks
    Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]
    0425 228 985

Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. If you intend making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Profile photo of RiskyRisky
    @risky

arg i knew it would be something simple ,
    Thanks Mortgage Hunter [:)]

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

I think that the current rates of home loans are very low and if you research the last 40 years you may be surprised.
    Don’t panic and focus on the rates but rather focus on the investment returns and your strategy.
    I was paying 19.33% in 1991 on $5,000,000.00 at age 28
    so to me the current rate is cheap

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

The thing which appears to have been overlooked in the above posts is the fact that one virtually boxes oneself into a corner when taking a long term loan with interest fixed for the life of the loan.

Forty years is sure a long time and if ever one’s circumstances change and one wants to (or needs to) dispose of the property one may be in for a rude shock !!

If, at the time when you want to pay out the loan prematurely, the fixed rates are below the rate which you yourself are locked into then the lender would be looking to charge you compensation for what they term ‘economic loss’ i.e. the difference between the fixed rate at the time and the rate you are locked into.

Imagine the penalty you would have to pay if you are locked into a 40 year loan and five years later you want to sell the property.

If you are locked into a 7.5% rate and the rate at the time is say 6.5% the bank will be looking to recoup from you the economic loss i.e. 35 years X 1.0%= 35 % of the loan amount.

The average life of a home loan is about seven years so I seriously doubt that a 40 year loan would be advantageous for most people.

The idea that a 40 year Line of Credit would solve the problem is absurd as well for three reasons :

1. a Line of Credit would defeat the purpose of trying to lock in a rate. The L.O.C. rate changes from time to time in line with the general market.

2. a lender may require you to update on say a yearly basis the financial data they have on you. Imagine that you happened to be out of work that moment. The L.O.C. would be called up like a flash.

3. Even worse, the Line of Credit can be called up at anyonetime by the lender for whatever reason so where lies one’s security ?

Yes, going into a 40 year loan arrangement does provide stability as far as the loan is concerned. But at what price ? Remember the possible ‘economic loss’ penalty ?

Who of us can predict what happens in one’s future ?
    There are many reasons which may force one to to dispose of the property.

Pisces133
    Auspacific Finance Pty Ltd

Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>The bank advances you a line of credit against which you have a chequebook or credit card. You may draw as much or as little of it as you wish. Interest is charged on what you have drawn and you may pay into it whatever you like. ie the minimum interest owed or pay it off in any timeframe you choose.<<

There are a few more conditions that are important :

1. often there is a line fee applicable which is say 0.5% over the undrawn amount. Or it could be a fee raised if one hasn’t used at least a certain percentage of the loan for a certain period.

2. the lender usually reserves the right to request a yearly financial update from the borrower and if they don’t like what they see the L.O.C. will be cancelled.

3. a L.O.C. is however suitable if one expects to have moneys coming in from time to time to reduce the outstanding balance.
    Then again, the same can be achieved with a normal loan with a redraw facility attached.

Pisces133
    Auspacific Finance Pty Ltd

Profile photo of melbearmelbear
    @melbear

I have had an LOC for many years and have never been asked to submit financials for a review.

The idea of a LOC was not to have a fixed rate – which you can do, but would sort of defeat the purpose I suppose – but to enable interest only payments for the entire period if that’s what you wanted, and would help increase affordability.

Regarding the break costs on a fixed 40 year loan. Again, Matt’s question was about locking in the rates at a low point. I would have been more than happy to lock my rates in for 40 years at 7%. I doubt that rates would be ‘significantly’ lower than that for an extended timeframe in the 40 year period.

Cheers
    Mel

Keymaster
    @piadmin

>>I would have been more than happy to lock my rates in for 40 years at 7%. I doubt that rates would be ‘significantly’ lower than that for an extended timeframe in the 40 year period.<<

Mel, I wonder whether you would still have the same opinion if the rates dropped to 1 or 2 or even 3% %

(Have a look at what the rates are in the US and Japan).

Pisces133

@melbear

Yep, Pisces, I reckon I still would. Cos I don’t see that happening in the ‘near’ future, and so I reckon I’d get in a few good years where my 7% was lower than the standard, and so by the time the rates did get low (and I just can’t see it happening here – but doesn’t ‘everybody’ say that[:p]) I would have a smaller loan, and more income either job wise (PPOR) or rent (IP) or both.

Cheers
    Mel

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Mel, a drop in interest rate may well be an indication that the economy is in tatters so your expectation that you may have more rental income or more job income may not necessarily be the case.

Pisces133

@melbear

Pisces, I reckon there would have to be some serious deflation before incomes were actually lowered. Especially for public servants, of which I am currently still one.

Also, as I said, I don’t expect the rates to be that low for a considerable period, by which time my properties will be well and truly +ve, so it wouldn’t matter if they did drop by some amount.

Cheers
    Mel

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school
    Originally posted by picja1:

There already is a lender in Australia who lends over 40 years, not fixed though.

Hi Picjal,

Is it ok, if you share who this lender is that offers 40 year loans? Still if a loan like this can be achieved, for a more freely supply of cashflow. A loan like this would be much better, for both First Home Buyers and Investors.

Cheers,
    sis

People 4get that by saving just $3 a day & investing it sensibly
    over a working life, you’ll end up with around $1 million

Profile photo of Matt PMatt P
    @matt-p
    Originally posted by Still in School:

Originally posted by picja1:

Hi Picjal,

Is it ok, if you share who this lender is that offers 40 year loans? Still if a loan like this can be achieved, for a more freely supply of cashflow. A loan like this would be much better, for both First Home Buyers and Investors.

Cheers,
    sis

That would be great if you could share that information [:D]

Cheers Matt

“If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always had.”

“Isn’t it time for a change?”

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I beleive GE mortgages offer a 40 yr PI loan.

Terryw
    Discover Home Loans
    North Sydney
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Keymaster
    @piadmin

Yes, G.E. has very attractive rates guys. [V]

Why would you possibly want a 40 year loan S.I.S. ?
    One cannot afford to lock in the rate for such a long time for obvious reasons and if it is a Variable Interest loan the lender has usually the right to call up the loan anytime they so wish so what’s the point ?

Pisces133

Profile photo of Still in SchoolStill in School
    @still-in-school

Hi Pisces133,

lol, im not interested in I/O loan, this is just for example if i want to purchase a property but pay it off over a longer period of time, but be able to have more cashflow and more funds everyweek.

eg.

Lets say i want to purchase a property for $100k

at P/I over 30 years at 6% = $599 per month $150 pw

now over 40 years

at P/I over 40 years at 6% = $550 per month $137.50 pw

It might not be much $12.50 per week, but this can also be the difference in making a neutral geared property into a +ve geared property and it also allows for more cashflow everyweek.

Cheers,
    sis

Keymaster
    @piadmin

G.E.’s rates are a lot higher than the rates from your friendly bank.

Pisces133

Profile photo of luceluce
    @luce

40 year mortage? fair enough if you’re gonna buy and then sell-on in a few years, but if you plan to keep your property for good it sounds pretty dodge. god, can you imagine how much interest you’d pay out on a 40 year mortage? it makes me shudder to think of it…

Profile photo of Nat RNat R
    @nat-r

A few points on the topic of US loans and fixed rate loans:

The US market can offer 30 year fixed rate loans as their wholesale capital markets take a different approach to funding mortgage assets and assume the risk that the borrower may refinace out of the loan before the 25 years are up…note: there is no penalty costs for early exit in the US and you can break a loan at any point and go into a lower interest rate loan and the lender takes the risk that he will lose future income …this is how the NAB lost $2billion dollars on Homeside …their US mortgage business. As US interest rates fell the borrowers refinace away and they didn’t do thier sums as to what this cost them in lost renenue.

There is a concept called “negative convexity” which any American 1st year uni text book covers very well but which they seemed to be unaware of.

Our wholesale capital markets do not accept this risk and look to recoup any lost income from the borrower.

As for the banks “just taking a guess as to where interest rates will be ” that is 100% wrong. There is a well established interbank market where forward interest rates can be traded out to approx 10 years (have a look in the markets section of the Fin Rev for “Swap Rates”). Any longer than this is difficeult in Australia.

Interest rates are genearlly higher the further you go out since about 1992 but there was a period where wholesale rates where lower the further you went out in years.

Will we move to a situation where we can access 25 year fixd rate loans???…maybe one day but it has been normal in the US for at least 50 years (probably more) and it is yet to reach here…so don’t hold your breath.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.