All Topics / General Property / time to sack my property manager?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

The manager called me on september 5th to say the tenant wants to renew the lease for another year, will i say ok? I said ok on the phone, and she said she will send me the documents to sign.
    Then after that, in early October, the agent did a inspection, and came back with a long list of things to repair – taps leaking, toilets not working etc, (they not inspecting frequently enough, or the tenant didnt tell them about these faults for so long?). I repaired this and that, and then when i added a new lock, i requested the rent be raised a little, but the agent said no- because the new lease is a Fixed Term lease. BUt the thing is, I was never told about the condition of the lease, and i didnt sign nothing.

Then today, November 19th, I got a mail from the manager’s office, for the lease forms for me to sign, and the letter was dated 5th September. (They didnt send the damn letter for 2 months? or they just backdate it to look like they did their job?).

I am thinking of going to another agent, or doing the management myself, since this manager is very slacking anyway (took then 4 reminders over 3 weeks from me for them to get the pipes fixed!).

If i did not sign the lease, is it legal? Can i still raise my rent?

Profile photo of BillfromozBillfromoz
    Participant
    @billfromoz

G’day Fullout…

When you signed the agreement with your slack agent, perhaps without you realising it, you would have given them authority to sign any lease on your behalf. As such, I expect you are committed to the lease with your tenant.

If you feel you have any claim…it would be the Agent and not your Tenant. If you are not getting the level of service you were led to believe… get rid of them.

Cheers

Bill

Bill O’Mara
    Real Estate,Mortgages, Option Writing & Forex. [email protected]

Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

can someone help me, how do i get rid of my agent?
    Write them a letter? How should i say it in the letter?

I still want to keep the tenants as they are very good tenants. SHould i write a letter to the tenants first so they are not shocked, or in case the manager goes to them and tell stories?

please help.

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Fullout,

You are the Landlord. Grab it by the b&^^% and take charge. As you suggested managing it yourself, I can only presume your IP is local to you.

Who cares what stories the agent might tell? If you approach your tenants, explaining that you are unhappy with the agent’s service, yet you value them as tenants, no one will lose excepting the agent. Your saving in the agent’s fees is equivalent to a rent increase anyhow, let alone any future rental increases.

You have done your bit by fixing the urgent stuff. Sort it out one-on-one with the tenant. If you like them, lock them in for a couple of years. Jack up the rent by that $5 a week and give them a week’s free rent from the 18th of December. Happy Christmas!

Kind regards, Phil

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Hi Fullout,

Negotiate first with the PM. Explain what you’re not happy about and get their response. If they see you as a valued client then they may even offer to drop their management fees. Do you buy any properties through them? This can also be part of the negotiation as the sales team won’t want to lose you and will most likely apply a little pressure to the PM to look after you. Always negotiate for a better deal. Sometimes it is better to train the devil you have than to find a new one.

C2
    Is it true the more you owe the more you grow until the bank steps in?”

Profile photo of CeliviaCelivia
    Participant
    @celivia

If everything mentioned above fails and you decide you don’t want to manage the property yourself, some PMs offer a service in helping you changing over from your old PM to them.
    Just ask around if they offer this service.

They can draft a letter on your behalf to the agent, all you need to do is sign the letter and the new PM will take it from there.

Your property is your asset and you can demand the best service available.
    Best of luck, Celivia

Profile photo of MichaelYardneyMichaelYardney
    Participant
    @michaelyardney

quote:

can someone help me, how do i get rid of my agent?
    Write them a letter? How should i say it in the letter?

I still want to keep the tenants as they are very good tenants. SHould i write a letter to the tenants first so they are not shocked, or in case the manager goes to them and tell stories?

please help.

You do not need to communicate with your pm . First find a new one that you are happy with and they will organise everything for you. No need for embarrassment.

When looking for a new PM here are 12 probing questions you could ask them

http://www.metropole.com.au/reports/bonus_report2.htm

Michael Yardney
    Metropole Properties
    http://www.metropole.com.au

Profile photo of Fudge111Broz00Fudge111Broz00
    Participant
    @fudge111broz00

Hi Fullout

HAve you read the topic called ‘selecting a PM’ in the treasure chest, it is great, 37 questions from memory about what to ask a PM before signing them up,

kind regards

Fudge111[^][:)][;)][8D]

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

fullout

is this the same property manager you have talked about in the past in the Latrobe Valley?

westan

Profile photo of annaw2annaw2
    Participant
    @annaw2

I had problems with a property manager in Queensland 6 months ago so asked another agent who managed other properties to take this one over as well. I then emailed the first one that another agency would be taking over the management and the keys would be picked up on a certain date. There was no problem at all, but I did receive a phone call from the original agency and had the opportunity to explain why I had terminated their management.

Anna

Profile photo of fulloutfullout
    @fullout

hi westan,

yes it is them again.

I am thinking of managing it myself. BUt i am not sure if i got all the things covered.

I have copied the Lease Agreement, and make it so its between me and the tenants. Then I guess the next thing will be to get the bond from the current manager? Also I will need to inform the tenants with a letter and arrange with them how they would make payments to me (I guess direct deposit, bank transfer or cheque will be ok).
    Did i cover everything that needs to be done here?

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

fullout

if you don’t want to manage it yourself why don’t you give BJ Bennett a go, and don’t forget to have landlord insurance.

regards westan

Profile photo of u9026au9026a
    @u9026a

Hi fullout

If you want to sack your agent you should first take a look at your agency agreement. The term of notice is usually between 30 and 60 days, but some agents put 180 days in the contract. Contrary to what you have been told above, of course you need to communicate with your agent, one way or another.

If you want to leave immediately you will generally have to pay commission up to the date that your agreement ends.

The bond is not held by the agent but instead by an independant body (Dept of Fair Trading), so you simply need to communicate with them. You can ask for any method of payment you like, some like to get cheques, some like electronic paments, it’s up to you.

Don’t forget to do condition reports and give tenants copies of whatever paperwork is required by law (e.g. Renting Guide booklet here in Sydney). I would suggest you contact the Dept of Fair Trading to make sure that you cover all bases in your particular State, because laws are different for each State. By the way, you have undoubtedly given your current agents authority to sign contracts on your behalf, so you cannot raise rent during the fixed term of the current tenants lease.

Steve

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.