All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Kiyosaki – Sinner or Saint

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • Profile photo of bensonbenson
    Participant
    @benson

Just read a very interesting analsyis of Kiyosaki which suggests all may not be as it seems. V long but a v good read if you have not seen it before.

It is very hard to know who you can trust these days isn’t it.

http://www.johntreed.com/Kiyosaki.html

I still think I believe in some of his principles but it certainly makes you question his character.

Ben

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi benson,

I to was disappointed when i read that article but i still haven’t heard Kiyoski’s response( if he has one).

I still find his teachings on financal matters to be excellent. I remember seeing him on lateline a few days before the tech stock busting, his advice to get out straight away saved me $1000’s. And it was rich dad poor dad which i read after i had bought my first 10 houses that encouraged me that i was doing the right thing and to keep doing it.
    Would you buy another one of his books now?
    regards Westan

Profile photo of birdmanbirdman
    Participant
    @birdman

Hi Benson,

The review is quite scathing, however irrespective of this, it was in reading his books, and those of other authors, that my wife and I began contemplating investing in real estate.

I suspect this is the same for most people getting started. Without them I doubt we would have had the impetus to begin.

Regards,
    Stephen

Profile photo of bensonbenson
    Participant
    @benson

Hi Weston,

Not sure if I’d buy one of his books again, I found he was good for motivation as birdman intimates but a little short on facts. I think he must have pretty much done that whole story to death now anyway.

His last book was about why the stockmarket was going to crash when all the baby boomers withdrew from their managed funds wasnt it ?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I have mixed feelings. I agree that his first 2 books really opened my eyes and changed the way that I invested.

What he writes is generally good, even if it is part fiction. But I don’t like him making money by selling overpriced tapesets and courses to the masses. I went to one of his seminars in Sydney (free tickets) and he said he made US$2 per book and at teh time he was selling 200,000 books per year in Japan alone! But it still wasn’t enough, he wants more!!!!

Terryw
    [email protected]

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of ksheatherksheather
    @ksheather

It doesnt matter whether it fact or fallacy, the immportant thing is that it inspires you to change your way of thinking, to open up to a world of prosperity and abundance, rather than a world of limitations.

If the books change your mindset in this way, would it matter whether its fact or fiction, I think not.

Keep things in perspective people..

Profile photo of Chris2Chris2
    Participant
    @chris2

Hi Benson,

This was a very fascinating article..i think everyone on this forum should read it and be wary of all the investment *gurus* out there…

( http://www.johntreed.com is a very informative site about property investing..Check it out!)

-Chris

Profile photo of AdministratorAdministrator
    Keymaster
    @piadmin

Yeh Chris, I was only looking at John T. Reed’s website last night.

On the one hand of course the reason for him getting stuck into real estate gurus is to push and promote his own goods (books, newsletters, seminars) but on the other hand there is no doubt a lot of truth in what he says.

One danger however is the fact that his disparaging articles could have the effect of making us start to doubt the possibility that one CAN make money in real estate deals.

I have only been on the wrapping scene for about a month and could easily have become discouraged enough by Reed’s writings so as to ‘give up’ any thoughts of ‘making it’ in real estate.

Fortunately I have been around real estate long enough (many years) to know better i.e. that one can indeed pick up bargains (as long as we put in the work required to find them) so we all are NOT necessarily on a pie in the sky trip.

All one can do when wanting to acquire knowledge is to be very discerning where and how to spend one’s money.

Steve McKnight’s latest book (which costs less than $ 30-00) for example is excellent value.

So John T. Reed’s advice to first spend one’s money on the cheaper material before even thinking of attending expensive seminars is good advice.

Pisces133

Participant
    @chris2

Hi PeterM,

I have no doubt that one can make money in real estate. I just think that it is very easy to lose a lot of money in real esate through mistakes and ignorance.

I am just starting out in property investing. I love reading this forum and i have learned a lot from the posts of other people.

I have invested heavily in my education..I am a recent uni graduate (Electrical Engineering @ Sydney Uni).. unlike Robert Kiyosaki i do NOT believe that education is a waste of time.

I want to be a property investor but i know i still have a lot to learn, and it will probably take me 1-2yrs to save for a deposit for an IP and to really understand the Australian property market.

..and Yes, I have ordered a copy of Steves book and look forward to reading it when i receive it.

– Chris

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi chris

i don’t think Kiyosaki says eduction is a waste of time, infact he encourages education (and it appears this is where he makes all his money).
    I work in a school (not as a teacher) and it amazes me how teachers complete focus is on education, get a good education and get a Job. This is the way teachers have done it and think it is the only way. Kiyosaki’s greatest cotribution is that there are many other ways. he has affected my thinking so much that i asked my 10 years old this morning would he rather work for someone or be an investor? I still expect and want all my kids to go to Uni. but life is bigger than working for someone else all your life.
    My big goal with investing is the set up my kids for the future, have enough passive income they can do whatever they want with their life rather than work because they have to survive. I would love my kids to be involved in something that helps others, but its their life.
    regards westan

Participant
    @chris2

Hi Westan,

I have no doubt that Robert Kiyosaki has changed a lot of people’s ideas about money and investing.
    This is good. It was his books that really changed my own paradigm towards investing.

Previously I believed that a good education and a good job will be all in need. Now i realise the importance of investing and passive income, etc..
    The education system defintely is lacking in many areas, and it’s good that you will be teaching your kids about money and investing.

However, Kiyosaki’s books, while an entertaining read, seem to me to be overly simplistic about the areas of investing.

I really respected Kiyosaki before reading the John Reed article…now i know that not everyhting is as it seems.

..i guess the point is to not get trapped into a ‘cult’ following..and not believe everything you read, no matter how high-profile or successful the person may appear to be.

– Chris

Participant
    @benson

It makes you realise that whatever course of action you take you must go into it with your eyes wide open, there is no magic formula or panacea on how to get rich and anyone that tells you there is is probably getting rich off you !

The simple reality is that most of these real estate gurus make more money from “educating” the wannabees than through there own deals.

Its a tough world and there are lots of people out there to make a buck, a healthy dose of scepticism is a good thing in my opinion.

Participant
    @benson

Terry,

I guess thats the issue that I find quite hard to take that a person like him preaches integrity and then dosn’t display any of his own. Makes it hard to listen to anything he has got to say once you look at it that way.

Benson.

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

The thing which is so interesting is why this dude has to spend so much time and energy running RK down.
    He’s probably jealous of his success and is living in fear/lack rather than abundance – he feels RK is ‘stealing his customers’.

A lot of those criticisms are just silly – RK isn’t saying education is bad, but he criticises the trend of people wanting their kids to ‘go to school to learn a profession or trade so you can get a nice safe and secure job with good benefits’ – as something that worked in the 50’s when his Dad was young but is not working for people now.

If Rich Dad was a real person RK obviously wanted to protect his rich dad’s privacy by not naming him. Even if RD was made perhaps a combination of two or more people, who cares?
    The lesson works -which is that the middle class educated highly paid person who spends all they earn and more is tied to their job by masses of consumer debt, your own home is not an asset (except to the bank!) but a liability – and an investment is an income-producing asset that puts money in your pocket. When your income from your assets exceeds your liabilities and expenses, you are financially free! So simple!

i wonder how many people who are dissing RK are now wealthy themselves? Probably few – if you have that much energy to find fault with others all the time, then you are probably way too busy to get your own stuff happening!

I wonder how many people in the world are saying ‘i took control of my finances and changed my life and became an investor’ because of RK? Zillions – and that’s just counting people I’ve heard say it!! If you speak the truth, the truth has wings – and RK’s book is selling by the truckload because people who have read it are evangelising it to others – because it works. RK works on the mind-set which has to change first, before the specifics.

It’s only 30 bucks to buy Rich Dad Poor Dad, not that much of a downside if you hate it (sell it!) and I think it’s one of the most definitive ‘first step’ books that there are about moving away from what I call ’employee consciousness’ to ‘entrepreneur or investor’ consciousness – to do as the rich do and make your money work for you. He doesn’t tell you specifically how – apart from saying the three ways are stocks and bonds, building businesses, and real estate, but he does stress the importance of eliminating consumer debt, spending less than you earn, and investing a portion of what you earn every week.
    Not unlike the John Burley message.

RK’s book led me to approach my self-employed status as a business rather than a JOB – to try to learn stocks and shares for a year before realising it was not for me – and finally to investigate property investing which is where I’ve ended up- happy and loving it.

RK is a happy chap, if you see him live, you’ll notice this – he loves his life-, he smiles, and what i thought was particularly cool as a chick was that he got his wife up to talk about ‘Kim’s first deal’. Kim is a gorgeous blonde well-groomed news-reader type and she said ‘being married to RK, the last thing I needed to do is start investing – I had Robert for that. But he encouraged me to do it in my own right, even though it was totally foreign to me, outside my comfort zone, and none of my family had ever taught me anything about it.’
    So Kim’s first deal was a 45K apartment (now she has blocks of ’em!) and she said it was the scariest thing she ever did.
    I really like how even though she was Mrs RK and happened to be married to a brilliant mentor it was just as scary for her as it was for me.

I’m so thankful for this forum where I can indulge my current obsessive/compulsive urge to chat about property investing, wealth creation and the like – my BF is happy it exists too because now I don’t have to bug him and try to talk about something he is probably only interested in because he loves me and sees it makes me happy- but doesn’t necessarily want to think about and talk about as much as I do!!!
    cheers-
    Mini

who will always champion RK because , hey, it worked for me….ditto Dolf de Roos…’Real Estate Riches’ is a great book – particularly for the rank beginner who knew absolutely nothing, as I was. I also bought his 10 CD set as the cheaper alternative to attending his seminar and I have got a LOT out of it, as I have from Steve’s ‘Property Secrets Revealed’ CD set.
    HIGHLY recommended.

http://www.vocalbureau.com

Participant
    @benson

Mini,

(The thing which is so interesting is why this dude has to spend so much time and energy running RK down.
    He’s probably jealous of his success and is living in fear/lack rather than abundance – he feels RK is ‘stealing his customers’.)

I am glad that there are people out there who take the time to check that the stuff people spout as gospel is actually true. Everyone should be held accountable for their actions or the world would not be a very nice place.

(A lot of those criticisms are just silly – RK isn’t saying education is bad, but he criticises the trend of people wanting their kids to ‘go to school to learn a profession or trade so you can get a nice safe and secure job with good benefits’ – as something that worked in the 50’s when his Dad was young but is not working for people now.)

I agree some criticisms are a bit silly but the ones where he is caught lying about the types of investments he has done and the things he holds himself out to be an expert on, are not.

“If Rich Dad was a real person RK obviously wanted to protect his rich dad’s privacy by not naming him.”

He dug himself into a bit of hole here because in one interview he says he exists and in another he says he does not.Why not just be honest ?

I agree that his message probably has motivated a lot of people, but the article also points out that some of the specific tactics he suggets are illegal which is a bit of a concern if you were a true beleiver and attempted to emulate everything he said.

Mini I too consider myself to be a positive person and decided long ago that there is a better way to go than work to 65 in a job i dont enjoy, but i still beleive life is about balance and everyone must weigh things up for themselves and make sure that you are happy with whatever path you take and never blindly follow anyone without deciding if its the best option for you.

Just because someone stands on a stage or writes a book dosn’t make them an expert. There seems to be a lot of dishonest people in the real estate industry at the moment and i think that it is wise for people, especially newbies to be aware of that.

Benson.

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

i agree with benson completely.

surely the best lessons are based on more than a fable about a rich old man.

if thousands of people are basing their investment empire mostly on a story that was fictional than that is a worry.

i guess the key is to treat all advise with a degree of sceptisism. ive read his books and found them very insightful and motivating – but thats it – nothing more and nothing less.

and to be frank i dont care how happy rk ‘looks’ or how ‘attractive’ his wife is.

alan bond looked pretty happy with life when he won the americas cup.

3 cents

[:D]

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

I think that the voice of moderation should rule. What’s the point in attacking others? If you really wanted to, you could always find something about someone you didn’t like to focus your attacks upon, and come up with a whole bunch of reasons as to why your attack is justified. But is this constructive?

What’s constructive is if Mr Reed volunteers the solution to the shortcomings in RK’s books as eagerly as he criticises them. However, Mr Reed is after all entitled to his own view, and I don’t doubt that there is some truth to what he’s saying.

What matters to me is that I was one of those “people schlepping along doing a half-ass job of managing the financial aspects of their lives.” And indeed, “Rich Dad Poor Dad [slapped me] up [the] side [of] the head and [told me] to clean up their acts”.

Could I have done it without the inspiration and simple teaching on cashflow and assets vs liabilities in RK’s books? I don’t think so. Call me dumb, but I was meandering along for 3 years, eagerly, and even desperately, trying to learn the tools and concepts to achieve financial independence. I thought I was doing okay, but always felt that there was more I needed to learn. I made a bit of money here and there, and bought big boys’ toys on finance to “reward” myself. Ironically, the amount of money I was paying each month to service my loans would have been more than enough to service a decent investment property. Eventually, it all unravelled – too much debt, no real assets.

Then I stumbled on RK’s book on day while browsing in a bookshop. The price of $29.95 almost put me off buying it (how pathetic was that!), but I decided to take the plunge. The book really opened my eyes, and taught me how to view financial matters in a different, yet simpler, way. It changed my way of thinking. I firmly believe that RK is right in his views on cashflow and assets vs liabilities. In my job, I work with ASX 100 companies, and on deals sometimes worth 100’s of millions, if not billions of dollars. And the thing most of these companies and their CEO’s/CFO’s/MD’s most focus upon is cashflow. Those who don’t inevitable suffer – look at HIH and Ansett. Not enough cashflow. In fact, the legal definition of insolvency in Australia is when a company is unable to pay its debts as and when they are due. Cashflow!

I did find that RK’s books were sadly missing on the “how to do aspect” of things. They focused on the “how to think” aspect. I pored over every page to try to glean some clues on “how to”, but couldn’t piece anything concrete together. But isn’t this how it all needs to begin? If you’re not thinking the right way, how can you have the confidence to go out there and do it? Let me illustrate it another way – if you were going to play tennis against a really good player, and didn’t think that you would win any games, would you even bother to try?

How many stories have you read of people who should have died from injuries or disease beating the doctors’ predictions and making a recovery, because of their will to live, their fighting spirit?

It’s the same issue with investing. Believing you can do it is the biggest part of the battle. You need to “know you can”, like Thomas the Tank Engine. If you don’t believe you can, I can guarantee that you won’t make it. Unless you stumble into it (eg lotto win or inheritance). I challenge anyone to give me an example that disproves this claim.

Friends, forgive my long spiel. The point I wanted to make at the end of the day is that I don’t care whether RK’s Rich Dad is a fictional character. What matters is that he has inspired me and many others to look at our finances in a simple, yet effective way, and encourages us to believe that each of us can be successful. Of course, it’s hard work to get there. Nothing worth achieving is ever easy. That’s why we need to believe that we can achieve it, to keep us going.

Cheeers
    M

Participant
    @chris2

People,

If your really want to know who the Millionaire’s are, and how they become millionaire’s, read “The Millionaire Next Door” by Thomas J. Stanley, Ph.D. and William D. Danko, Ph.D.

– Chris

Profile photo of aussierogueaussierogue
    Participant
    @aussierogue

growing up two things were always distilled into me

1) critial thinking
    2) being a descerning consumer

both are quite underrated in the rush for material gain.

Profile photo of Lawry73Lawry73
    @lawry73

Hi all,

Whether RK is a saint or sinner…what he has said cannot be refuted totally.

If John Treed has something great to say, write a book!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Kiyosaki – Sinner or Saint’ is closed to new replies.