All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Anyone changing strategy???

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of maximusmaximus
    @maximus

Hi everyone. With a lot of talk about the housing market cooling off and possible interest rate hikes (in the future), I was just wondering if anyone is thinking of changing their approach to their current (or pending) portfolio and/or their finance situation. I was pondering the idea of working hard on reducing my loans for a while (2-3 yrs) instead of investing more money (although I suppose you could say that reducing debt is a form of investing). This probably applies more to people with a buy and hold strategy, such as myself. Would love to hear if anyone else has thought about changing their plans or just plowing on, full steam ahead
    Marty

Profile photo of truebluetrueblue
    @trueblue

Hi Marty

Like you, I’m a buy & hold person. For the last year I’ve concentrated on reducing my loans and also picking up the odd blue chip shares along the way. However, like most investors, I continue to monitor both the property & share markets.

Profile photo of peterppeterp
    @peterp

Though I haven’t put this into practice, the idea of buying for cashflow during a boom and buying for capital growth during a period of stagnation somehow appeals to me.

It also ensures comparatively high returns (as you’re never buying properties returning 3-4%).

Peter

Profile photo of westanwestan
    @westan

Hi marty and guys

i’m a buy and hold man also, but i’ve recently changed my strategy. decided to sell about 1/2 my properties because they had appreciated far more than i would ever have believed. i buy for cash flow, so i’m selling properties for 90k and will reinvest in New Zealand where i’m buying properties for about 40k and giving me the same rental as my sold property. so my strategy of buying cash positive properties has remained, but a slight twist.
    regards westan

Profile photo of Elysium-MElysium-M
    @elysium-m

I’m still looking to buy, although I’m extremely fussy about what I buy, and always set a realistic price limit on what I’m prepared to offer.

But I have to admit, it is very hard to find a property where the vendors don’t expect to get $20 to $30K more than the market price.

Profile photo of MiniMogulMiniMogul
    Participant
    @minimogul

i’m going for buy and holds, and fixing them up accordingly
    so they should last a long time. I’m starting with super-cheap rentals in NZ regional as i’ve said elsewhere, and even though they are still so new that one doesn’t have it’s first tenant yet, I am expecting that i will still get quite high returns for my relatively small capital outlay, and i’ll be able to use them as a base to borrow against to buy at first some more CF+ve properties slightly higher up the food chain i.e. some capital gain properties. By the time I am ready with my base there should be some bargains around if the predicted market adjustment happens. I think the market will adjust in Australia before NZ. I also think houses at the bottom of the market will never be this cheap again. even since i started shopping/looking, in six months, I have found this to be true.

cheers-
    Mini

http://www.vocalbureau.com

Profile photo of maximusmaximus
    @maximus

Thanks for your responses guys. It is good to hear what other people are doing as it gives me (and I’m sure others) food for thought. Anyone else reading this who may wish to repond, please do, by sharing our ideas and thoughts can only make this forum stronger.
    Have a great day
    Marty

Profile photo of richmondrichmond
    Participant
    @richmond

Howdy,

I sort of started in this PI area the wrong way around (with the benefit of hindsight)…

Bought 1st PPOR in Jan 2000 for 226k.
    Bought 1st IP in Feb 2001 for 170k.

Sold 1st PPOR in May 2002 for $340k
    Bought 2nd PPOR in May 2002 for $250k (now worth $320+)

1st IP now worth $370+ (on Mornington Peninsula)

Stumbled across this site when weighing up different PI strategies, and decided cashflow positive is the way to go.

Bought 4 properties in central Qld, average return 9.5%…

Just waiting to get them tenanted before I buy again… will keep chasing high yields, but only after researching everything to the nth degree…

So, I’d say my strategy from here on in will continue to be buy and hold… I’ve got a few areas pin-pointed, but it’s just a matter of patience… I’m of the belief (similar to heaps of people here) that opportunities will keep presenting themselves in any sort of market… it’s just a matter being patient, patient, patient…

Cheers
    R

Profile photo of MJKMJK
    @mjk

Hello all,

My strategy is something like this.
    I own my home outright so I have no personal debt.
    I have 4 Brisbane CBD houses bought over the last 4 years which create a nuetrally geared portfolio with significant equity already. These properties where purchased with capital gain focus.I believe their value will double by 2010 creating equity of $800,000 to $[8D]1,000,000.
    So, now my focus is to by come cash positive property so in 2010 I can use the equity to wipe out the debt on the positive cashflow properties
    and therefore own outright the high yielding properties
    Hope that make sense?
    I am wanting to by Commercial property for my cash flow positive property rather than houses so there are less titles to manage.
    Feel free to pick the eyeballs out of my strategy.

MJK[8D]

Profile photo of puissancepuissance
    @puissance

buy, and never sell
    follow the premise, you make money when you buy in realestate and you’ll never sell
    plus if you don’t sell, you won’t trigger off a CGT event, ergo you won’t have to pay the government back for all the building depreciation you’ve claimed![^]

Profile photo of MJKMJK
    @mjk

I would agree in principle with the old adage
    ” never sell” but after being in the game for a while one realises that sometimes there is a right time to sell. Often capital growth exceeds rental growth and transferance of equity into high yeild is a reasonable solution provided it ends up meeting your requirements.
    Debt reduction through capital gain is viable. The mistake most novice investors make is selling too soon.
    One could argue that you use equity to buy more property without selling, but you cant eat equity can you. Capital growth investors must consider income at some stage to achieve their purpose for investing.

MJK

Profile photo of HaroldHarold
    @harold

Cut your debts, assemble a vulture fund together for the storm to come in Sydney and Melbourne

Profile photo of HamsterHamster
    @hamster

I am definitely with you on that one Harold.

@maximus

Really great responses (again).
    Westan:
    Love your way of thinking
    Richmond:
    As you say, hindsight is a great thing, but without minor hiccups along the way, I don’t think we would learn what we now know. I’ve said before that when mistakes cost you money, you learn real quick.
    MJKMJK:
    By the sounds of things, I’m trying to achieve along the same lines as you. I.E set up my portfolio, work on reducing some debt along the way, and probably sell a property or two further on down the track and live on the rents whilst still trying to buy more I.P’s.
    Harold:
    Could you please elaborate a bit more on what you meant
    Keep the responses coming in guys.
    Regards
    Marty

Profile photo of HaroldHarold
    @harold

Hey Maximus

I think its fair to say that at least in inner Melbourne and Sydney (maybe Brisbane), some ‘corrections’ are in order. House prices have rose quicker than income. There will be some pain and desperation as interest rates firm.

Ideally, assemble some cash or even borrowability to make some low ‘cash’ offers to desperate people holding quality assets. ‘Vulture’fund.

Profile photo of recoverymanrecoveryman
    @recoveryman

Hi all
    I am a buy and hold man
    everytime I have sold I regret it
    but this market is been booming for so long
    I am thinking of selling one of my PI
    with low r/t now, it was a good r/t when I brought it
    but it has gone up so much, but not the rent
    “the idea of buying for cashflow during a boom and buying for capital growth during a period of stagnation somehow appeals to me”
    this applys to me
    mimimogal thank you for all you help
    and thanks to all of you for giving me more of a spark into my PI buying
    I live in the country
    No one knows that I have a number of PI
    I only have one friend that understands
    most poeple have no idea and are scared to
    take the smallest risk
    so I have enjoyed this site
    have been reading for a long time
    only just started to reply
    my poor spelling stops me
    p.s I am from OZ
    not canada

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Hey all. Hope everyone is well.

Over this past year I have tried most strategies. Lucky for me they have been successful but I still find that the most powerful amongst them all is Cashflow. I bought properties for cashflow that have gone up significantly so I have cashed a few in and even though I will face CGT the end situation will be tht I own my PPOR (home). I see that as a great move as it allows me to have an excellent base for buying when opportunities present themselves.

I am still actively hunting Cashflow deals and also looking for Reno’s to cash and debt reduce.

I figure it doesn’t matter what strategy you use as long as it takes you closer to your end goal. So when I sell a house I reduce debt on the portfolio. This has been extremely successful in one year where I see my nett wealth has gone up significantly.

In conclusion I still believe Cashflow is king. I can do unlimited deals as long as I buy for cashflow. When I accompany that with reno and sell that sees a debt reduction plan kick in. Paired I have found them excellent tools for me. I cannot argue that my relationship with one agent has made this process very profitable and given me a new friend to boot.

I must admit though that I am also thinking about firing up the Wrap machine again (or maybe Licence to Occupy).

Changing times changing tools.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.”

@maximus

Hi again. I just wanteed to thank everyone who responded to this, I am sure I wasn’t the only one who benefitted from your great replies. As I mentioned, I personally like buy and hold but Andrew (AD) raised a good point when he said that he has tried most strategies. Maybe there isnt a “best” strategy but just “what works for you” type of scenario. Anyway, thanks again to all.
    Regards
    Marty[:D]

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Hey Marty,
    The Key for me is the fact that there is no right or worng way to do proprety. There are two factors that decide for me. What I am comfortable with and what the market is allowing me to do.

There are so many ways to make a dollar in the RE Market I wanted to try them to see what worked well for me. I see the differnet approach as tools in my belt. Sometimes I need a hammer and sometimes I may need a screwdriver. If I understand the different methods then that allows me to continue investing no matter what the market is doing.

The more tools the more options.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.”

Profile photo of nessness
    @ness

Hi Westan and Marty
    I too am considering changing my strategy. I’ve reno’d and attempting to roll-over in a slowing market and the roll-over is going really slow. I too have been considering NZ since half family lives there, but what are the implications of bringing your capital gain back to OZ???[:)]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone changing strategy???’ is closed to new replies.