All Topics / The Treasure Chest / Role playing feedback from APIM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi everyone!

Firstly, I want to say how lovely it was to meet you! I wish it was 1 week of seminar, that way I could have chatted with all of you longer. [:D] Perhaps, it was good for you that the seminar wasn’t longer [;)][:0)]

Now, with regards to role playing… I have Dave’s permission to give you feedback. Did anyone know that I was a drama queen[?][:0)] I’m not really… but I’ve always liked the Walter Mitty Character. [:D][;)]
    The numbers and whether you got me to buy a home or not is irrelevant. This is because, numbers and the finance isn’t my forte. This is good news for many of you out there and I will explain why later(under positives).

My role is based on a true situation. However I chose to play ‘Kathleen’ as an average/or slightly below average intelligenent women. In my true life situation, my friend/wrappee is an extremely intelligent well-read women with 8 children and 1 on the way. She is also a great person, with a great sense of humour and a good moral base.. (like all my friends [:)])

I want this to be considered like a learning session, not considered as reprimands, as I was not testing you, just learning from you. I played the role so that I could ‘Walk in the shoes’ of someone in that position. I’m glad I did, because (as Steve and Dave wanted) I learnt so much from those 30 minutes of being someone else. Some of you, I tested and I will tell you some of the questions, that I asked to prompt you, challenge you into thinking beyond the situation.

I will go firstly through the negatives generically, then the neutrals and finish up on a positives, as that’s the way I’d like everyone to feel after my feedback. [8D]

Star performers will get mentioned, so that you can learn from them and go and ask them questions, when next they are online…[:D]

THE ROLE

Name: Kathleen
      Current Marital Status: Single
      Previously 3 partners who’ve fathered 3 children each.
      Children: 9
      Rent: $180 per week, 50% of rent in form of welfare (rent assistance)
      Savings : None
      Rental History : Solid
      Deposit : $1000 borrowed from family, that’s it.

NEGATIVES
    Concern Number 1:
    I don’t think you would beleive how many people came up to me and started throwing private questions at me, without even asking my name or my permission to ask private questions! Questions like, how much do you pay a week in rent[?], are you on the dole, are you married, do you live alone [:O][?] However you forgot that I am a person first and foremost and I have a name. Here, some of you might remember me asking you ” Who are you to be asking me these questions and why are you asking them to me?
    Person first – Profit second
    Please, Please, never ask a single women if she lives alone! Either you’ll be invited to stay [;)][:0)] or you may alter her sense of security.
    Many of you looked down towards me (and this is not because I’m short! [;)]) because of my number of children and my marital status. We all have failures and successes in life. We’ve all made mistakes. Your prejudices (hope I’ve spelt this right [:P]) should play no part in determining whether someone fits your criteria for tenant or not. What is on your ‘due diligence’ list should be your criteria.
    Being polite to this women and treating her as an equal despite her situation or location of living, will go a long way to aiding your problem solving – solution process.
    Concern Number 2
    A strange man touching a single women, without her permission is an invasion of personal space. To avoid this situation (and litigation [;)])try this: pretend you are going to hug someone and put your arms out infront of you. See how your arms form a semi circle in front of you [?] To avoid encroaching on another persons personal space without permission, do not enter that arm space. So if I can do a basic illustration using a bracket symbol ([), the less than sign (<) as the space and this (X)is you and these are your arms.. X[< do not enter the [<- space. (Think laterally…it’s 1:37am Twilight Zone time[:D])
    Only a couple of men did this, and probably because you didn’t know I was role playing… (I, as Soosh, didn’t mind [:)]) Remember Kathleen is single, with 9 children, she is unlikely to welcome your touches if she doesn’t know you well.
    Concern Number 3
    As a mother of 9, I am on my feet all day (I know what you are thinking, but that’s not nice [:O]), offer your tenant/potential client a comfortable area to sit and chat, let her smoke if she wants.
    A number of times, I shifted from foot to foot, wondering whether anyone would pick up on my body language… Did anyone? Nope.. So I asked the question, “Can I talk to you whilst sitting down”
    Make sure you set the scene of trust and friendship.

Phew! Negatives over… I hope this has challenged some of your thoughts…and for those people who think they touched me offensively.. please do not send me any sorry’s or anything…I did not take offence and I thouroughly enjoyed all the hugs I got from everyone on Sunday morning [;)][^]…Thank’s Steve…Thanks Tony Robbins!

NEUTRAL

Who’s sitting on the fence now! [:D] Neutral doesn’t teach us very much, so let’s move on.
    Steve probably call this section tyre kickers.. I didn’t meet one tyre kicker in the room this weekend. The fact that you were all there, meant that you’d made positive steps to do something, anything to move foward. [^] Go for it…

POSITIVE

I could tell within 5 minutes of my role as Kathleen, who was an aggressive, passive and/or assertive person. Remember, having this catagory is not a bad thing, it mearly allows you to base your property stratergy on your personality type. Nor are you locked into a certain catagory at all times. We all wear different ‘masks/faces’ (so-to-speak) for different situations. At home, I wear the ‘mask’ of wife/mother/daughter/sister/friend/neighbour etc etc.. That’s what being human is about… the adaptability and potential for change.
    I could also tell quickly what type of property style would suit most of you. Many of you fit every type plus more [:)]…
    I did say to some people (not the ones who had illustrated the point though) that some of the players should stick to shares. That was said, tongue in cheek, as in fact, those very people, may want to take a passive role when dealing with customers/clients and a more active role in numbers/finances/legal issues, etc…Money partners… for Time partners… Can you see how you can turn a negative for one situation into a positive for another [?] As Steve said during his talk … Balance… no point having two people trying to do the same task…[;)]

Getting to meet all of you and catching your style, was a blast! The energy, the warmth, the positive vibes.. WESOME

The way many of you (both men and women)approached Kathleen was with tact, dignity and friendliness. I must however say that mostly the women had that more soft and approachable touch. Go Ladies!!! Power to you all!

(I really need to go to bed everyone) but there were more positives I can expand on later.

The star performers: (I apologize now if my spelling is bad..I’m bleary eyed and bushy tailed [|)])

Cheryl
      Juliette (Lightenning)
      Mike Kelly
      Nessie
      Leigh (Enjo lady)
      Nick (young)
      Scott

There were more of you… but I could see you getting your deals over the line (perhaps even if they weren’t the right deals for the situation [;)])
    The star question went to Mike Kelly, who asked..”Do you currently get rent assistance[?]” This is a very important question, as it will determine whether Kathleen continues to get Welfare payments if she buys a house. Go to the star, to get his reasons for asking the question. You’re da man Mike!!! [8D]

To Steve and Dave, more than a thank you, because you allowed me the opportunity to walk in my friend’s shoes (although I did add some acting props… poetic license [:D]).
    By giving me this role to play (diliberate on your parts… Monkeys [;)] [:0)]) taught me many things that I wouldn’t have been able to learn in any other manner. I hope that I have given back to you and to those you call family at this PI site, through this feedback, some of that knowledge I have found by experiencing the role. I know the advice you have given me as a fledgling property investor was and is made with your hearts. [:X][:X][:X] (from Sooshie, not Kathleen [;)])

I was challenged. I now challenge you all back. Ask me questions about ‘Kathleen’ if you like and I will attempt to answer you.

I’d like to finish with a classic Sooshie blooper… You all know how I struggle with the numbers (I’m working on it…thanks Pete [:X]), okay, and spelling [:P]. So I want to let you into my brain if I can. Well as ‘Kathleen’ remember I have 9 children.

Leigh: (theENJOlady) “How many boys and girls do you have Kathleen” [?]
    Kathleen: (aka Sooshie) “3 boys, 4 girls”… (mentally I say, “somethings not right here“) and…”
    Leigh: Looking at me dumbfounded“and two [?]”
    Kathleen: “and two (quick mental tally…. 3+4=7 [8)] hmmm… oops..2 more to go)… two aliens!” . [:0)]

We had a great giggle! A wonderful giggle moment [:D]

Good night/morning everyone..

Cheers

Sooshie [|)]

“Giving is a Blessing, receiving is the bonus”

Profile photo of ADAD
    Participant
    @ad

Hey sooshie,
    I’ll take a slightly different stance (I usually do). I think you will find some of those people on the weekend have never dealt with people in such a personal way. You are right that some people did an average job but that could have been because of money/time pressures also you are very right that some people should not be the front person as it is a gift and/or skill. The lesson for me was to deal with people fairly regardless of MY situation. The game creates a flurry which some of you will agree really happens to you during deals. It is the level headed people who pull out of the problem and turn it to a success. (eg. Steve and Dave’s Unit complex).

It was interesting to hear the questions that people asked me as a tenant and I hope the way they approached me was a little different to real life due to game pressures. The thing though that captured me most was how many clues I dropped as to having other options or alternatives in accomodation that people didn’t pick up on. The difference between successful people and amazingly successful people is that the amazing amongst us listen to everything and try to mould the deal to suit the situation. Think of Stu O’Neill and his unstoppable radar. We can all be successful but must practice to become amazingly successful.

Think outside the square and see where it takes you. I was encouraged to find people who did this on the weekend and they should feel good about their ability to think laterally.

Onto Kathleen. To be honest I would have to think long and hard about this deal Soosh. In the end I would probably walk. It may be dicriminatory but I have a business to operate and while I do enjoy helping people, I also have to go through a series of questions that would allow me to proceed with the deal. If I made risky deals then I probably wouldn’t be here in a few years operating. To be fair though I don’t have enough information to work with so it’s a face value call. I would have to find out about a lot more about if she works, rental history, etc.

For me to wrap I seek a payout in 1-7 years so my clients have to have a job and be in a reasonably sound financial condition. So probably Kathleen would not fit. That is only my angle and it will not fit all of us but I always come back to the fact that it is a business that enables me to help people not a charity. My aim is to build my business so I can become a charity but that comes by me making sound financial calls on the way there.

One other Question Soosh is she a friend prior to the deal ?
    I personally never deal in a transcation with family or friends.

Let us know how the deal goes though Soosh if you go ahead.

Enjoy
    AD [:0)]
    (Andrew)

“”Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”
    Albert Einstein

Profile photo of BeckyGordonBeckyGordon
    Participant
    @beckygordon

Hi Sooshie & AD,

I must admit that I learnt more from overhearing other people ask the questions. I am often commented on how much I take in without being in someone’s face! And the funny thing about that is you appear to not know much about that person when speaking to them, therefore you can ask questions that are less personal but still get more out of the conversation!! I hope I am making sense [?]

I loved the game on Sunday, as I am not very good at nogotiating prices and had lots of fun, I would have loved to keep going. I think it was a very important part of the seminar, as I got to play the part…!

See ya
    Becky

Invest in People for a Prosperous Future!

Profile photo of SooshieSooshie
    @sooshie

Hi there Andrew and Becky,

I’m scratching my head here a little, ’cause I hoped I wouldn’t come across harsh, but your point has been taken.
    People did better than an average job [^]. They did super! [:)]
    It WAS a game and also, many people came up to me and couldn’t stop laughing (Paul!!!) because they thought my acting was very [:0)] funny. I did break role sometimes…and had a giggle [:D].
    I probably would have been really nervous asking questions in that time frame and the aim of this game was not to be polite [;)] but to win. That’s cool.
    With regards to this wrap. I’ve thought about it and I totally agree with everyone’s advice on walking away from it. Equivicatorially (have I just made up this word [?][:D])on one hand, I know it’s risky, as well as being an emotional wrap rather than a business wrap [8)], yet on the other hand, I looked through Steve’s wrap kit and other products and they met every criteria. I have done the due diligence aswell. I also believe that they should get a chance.
    Anyway, it’s done (or in the process). I look foward not backwards.

Cheers
    Sooshie [:)]
    (Hope this makes sense…I’m really tired)[|)]

“Giving is a Blessing, receiving is the bonus”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Role playing feedback from APIM’ is closed to new replies.