All Topics / General Property / Brisbane – Dual Occupancy. Am I wasting my money?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Wayne
    Participant
    @wleesee

Hi,

Currently have a DA being pushed by our town planner with BCC. Proposal is to build a primary dwelling and separate dual occupancy dwelling on a 16,100m2 block of land (property is level, clear of all trees and in an Environmentally Managed zone). We received BCC’s initial response last week – “(summarised) Likely not supported – please apply for Secondary Dwelling”. Main argument: BCC have no provision for Dual Occ within the EM (Environmentally Managed) zone.

Property Details:
    – 16,100m2 of completely cleared Land (Zoning: Environmentally Managed)
    – Very limited ecology to speak of (presented BCC an ecology report to support this) and all neighbours have horse paddocks everywhere.

Upon receiving the BCC response, our town planner acknowledged we may have a fight on our hands, but indicated the BCC response was flawed as the Planning Act 2016 states development assessment should be considered against the Code (regardless if development was envisaged or not) – he believes there has been substantial personal interpretation of the code by the city council.

We have drafted a response clearly stating how our application meets every point within the City Plan 2014 code, and where there was possible grey area showed how the code was met to the identical extent as their suggested “secondary dwelling”.

Do pple think this is a win-able fight? If there is more than a 50% chance, worst case scenario we are prepared to engage lawyers (cost??) and set a precedence for this type of application.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  Wayne.
    Profile photo of Ethan TimorEthan Timor
    Participant
    @ethantimor

Not a fan of uphill battles with councils, tbh.

Can the land be subdivided?

Ethan Timor | Aligned Finance Pty Ltd
    http://www.alignedfinance.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Active Investor & Broker; Based in Northern NSW, servicing Australia wide; Author of '34 Proven Ways to Maximise Your Borrowing Power' (download free from our website)

Wayne
    Participant
    @wleesee

Property is not subdivide-able. We are taking battle up with council.

It is frustrating that the BCC have rejected our application based of the strategic vision of the city plan (that Environmental Managed land (EM Zone) is to be rehabilitated for Koalas) without even assessing against the city EM zone code/ etc. Just seems like an over-reach; for instance BCC could reject the proposal for a basic house using the strategic vision.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.