All Topics / Creative Investing / Strata Titling a Block of Units…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • David Thiu
    Participant
    @david-thiu

Hi guys,

I’ve found a block of 10 units for sale at $850,000, which could potentially be individually sold for +$120,000 each or rented out for +$220 per week.

Just wondering if anyone has had much experience with this strategy.

– What are the steps involved in Strata Titling?
    – How long does the process normally take from start to finish?
    – What would be the estimated cost to strata title 10 units?
    – Are there any special consideration to take into account with this strategy?

Cheers,

David

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

Complying with fire regs. You will need fire separation between the flats including in the roof space. Suggest you get a competent building certifier to inspect and say what the regs require.

David Thiu
    Participant
    @david-thiu

Thanks for your advice crj…

It could be very costly should fire separation need to be installed between each unit…

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi David,
    Just looking at the numbers, to me this looks like the ideal “buy and hold”. As such, there would be little to gain in strata titling. I haven’t done it myself, but had previously read it can take ~$20k to strata one unit.

Is that number correct? I don’t know – but, if it is, the values on your units don’t seem to justify such a large spend.

With the returns sounding like 13%, is there any other downside to just keeping them? Even if half full, it sounds like you would still be cash positive !! Other downsides though could cruel the positives – e.g. if this is a regional area with just one eemployer (and they are looking to close down…) What is the vacancy rate currently?

Returns sound great – but is there another “elephant in the room” that looks particularly dark? :)

Benny

David Thiu
    Participant
    @david-thiu

Hi Benny,

I guess there’s not that much downside to just buying and holding the properties, especially since the area have 0.8% Vacancy rate, and only 30 minutes from the CBD.

The only problem is I don’t have the deposit, nor the borrowing capacity, and was hoping to gain control over the property with an option, strata title for maybe $50k, and then onsell them individually onto the market for a quick profit.

Considering that this block will require fire separation, and may cost $20k to strata per unit, might mean this deal might not be worth pursuing using this particular strategy.

Kind Regards,

David

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi David,
    Well, you never know – someone reading this might be willing to pay to know where this cashflow gem is, and you may be able to gain a spotter’s fee !! :)

Benny

Profile photo of C.R.E.A.MC.R.E.A.M
    Participant
    @solotak

Why is that not more common in Australia? It seems wholesaling is very common in North America but rarely done here? Is there a wholesalers network or group in Australia?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of C.R.E.A.M C.R.E.A.M.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of C.R.E.A.M C.R.E.A.M.
    Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Because you need to be Licensed to take a few for service.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.