All Topics / General Property / Some questions

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of Guest

I usually have way too many questions so made this thread for all future questions of mine so I don’t flood the forum lol. My first one to start of is, about determining your budget. You are most likely going to take out a loan to buy a property but how do you know what your budget is? I am guessing you go to the bank and they tell you. But would it be a better idea to get a mortgage lender before hand to help me find the best deal or find a bank that will allow me a higher budget? Or do we not need mortgage lenders to find what our budget will be is it better just contacting individual banks?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Rather than contact individual lenders and run the risk of a series of credit hits contact a mortgage broker and get the best of both worlds.

We Brokers can deal with a multitude of lenders offering finance and field daily email from prospective buyers wanting to get a guide on their borrowing capacity.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Investor,
    I agree totally with Richard – when I was investing, my Broker was one of the most important members of my team. It is all of those “little details” that my Broker knew, and I didn’t, that kept me out of trouble. Like what Richard said – don’t go getting too many hits on your Credit file. Decide on the BEST lender at that time (with your Broker’s valuable input) then go with that one. A Bank will likely push you toward cross-coll – a Broker will drag you AWAY from it. Most times, cross-coll only helps the bank, not you. If you didn’t know that, you could be getting yourself tied right up going direct to a Bank.

Further, a Broker knows WHICH lender to use for your first loans – use them up, then swing to the “next lender”. If you choose the wrong lender first then you won’t get to maximise your possible borrowings.

You don’t know just how much you don’t know – especially when starting out. Getting the “finance” member of your team sorted first is a great first move. Choose one who listens and guides you. Usually they are free to a borrower (the Banks pay them for bringing in the business – but then, some Banks don’t use them – talk it all out when you have your first meeting – there is a lot to cover).

Benny

Profile photo of Guest

Ah ok thanks Richard, sounds good.

Profile photo of Guest

Hey Benny, thanks mate for the indepth detail I did not realize that the banks will try get you to cross-collat and how mortgage brokers will help drag me away from it. I am actually reading more on Cross collat night now, seems like more cons than pros.

@benny

I did not realize that the banks will try get you to cross-collat and how mortgage brokers will help drag me away from it.

Seemed to me to be their default position – even though I had told them “No cross-coll”, the initial bunch of paperwork would be crossed, until I said “Nup!” and then they would re-do it the way I wanted it. Sneaky bunch of …. I don’t know about ALL banks, as I haven’t borrowed through all of them.

Well worth reading about – it is one of those hidden traps that are in plain sight once you know you don’t want what they are offering. But what of those who DON’T know? I think Banks rely on a lot of people not knowing too much. ;)

Benny

Profile photo of Guest

Yeah its true all these people especially salespeople can see if a client is brand new and not educated before hand so its easy to manipulate them, and that’s where alot of the money is made sadly.

Profile photo of Guest

Hey guys I had another question. I am currently reading a book called “Managing rental properties” It talks about stuff like dealing with tenants, what to do, what not to do, legal stuff etc. It’s all in American context so obviously the laws will be different but I had a question, it has pictures of forms say for example a form to sign if a potential tenants wants to rent at your property. Can you legally use these forms in Australia or do you need to get a lawyer to write you one up? I am not at this stage yet but want to be prepared before I get the property to make sure it goes at smoothly as possible.

Profile photo of Creative Investment CoachCreative Investment Coach
    Participant
    @nickcreativeinvestmentsolutions-com-au

Hi Investor101,

each state has its own regulated forms which are free to use. In regards to property management, if you are not confident in doing it yourself (I certainly don’t) I suggest you pay for professional management. By using an experience property manager you reduce your risk of poor tenants/property damage/unpaid rent etc. As an investor I want to deal with professionals, not face to face with tenants that want unnecessary maintenance or an extension on the rent etc. All fees associated with the property management are fully tax deductible and in my mind well worth the cost.

Creative Investment Coach | Creative Investment Solutions
    http://www.creativeinvestmentsolutions.com.au
    Email Me

Creative Investment Solutions - The First Choice For Property Investors

Profile photo of Guest

Ah ok, I was thinking to do it my self to save the some money but it could end up costing alot of time which is just as valuable. But I guess it’s a good idea for a first timer like me to get the professionals.

Profile photo of Guest

Hi I had question about buying in certain areas. Should u buy a investment property in an area that has alot of properties for rent? I get worried like for example Goulburn has about 61 properties for rent, shows cash flow positive which is good but with that many properties on rent whats the chance of someone wanting to rent my property? Should we avoid areas like this? Thanks.

@benny

Hi Investor,

for example Goulburn has about 61 properties for rent, shows cash flow positive which is good but with that many properties on rent whats the chance of someone wanting to rent my property? Should we avoid areas like this?

Good question – I hope the following thoughts might help you:-

It is not so much the number, but more the ratio of “rentals to owner occupieds”, and “rentals available to rentals in use”.

It sounds like you are talking of the second of those – otherwise known as “Vacancy rate” and the most common number mentioned is 3%. If more than 3% of rentals are available, then that is a warning sign of too many rentals and not enough renters. If a vacancy rate of less than 3%, then good news for landlords.

So, back to Goulburn – if the total number of rentals is 61/0.03 (i.e. 2000 rentals or more) then 61 is OK at around 3% or less. So, the question that springs from that is – with Goulburn’s population being 22,000 is 2000 rentals a lot?

I think the average family size is about 3, so that would mean 22000/3 = 7300 houses/units needed to house them. So, 2000 against 7300 doesn’t seem like too much of a problem as it’s just 28% of the total accommodation needed. Of course, someone else may be able to comment with more local knowledge – I am answering as one who doesn’t know the place, but am just crunching numbers !!

Steve had posted an article about being careful where investors outnumber Owner Occupiers – this is what he said :-
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/watch-out-for-this-simple-stat/

You can see that 28% is not too bad. But now let’s backtrack and look at that second number again in a bit more detail. Like, what if the 61 is out of a total of just 1200 rentals in Goulburn?

In that case, the vacancy rate is over 5%. To most commentators, that figure is in the “danger zone” for landlords, and it means more competition to get tenants, and may even lead to taking a tenant you regret taking “just to get someone paying rent”.

Ask a few RE agents “How many they have for rent” and “How many on their rent roll?” then divide “available rentals by total rentals” to get the vacancy rate for their operation. The magic number is 3% – below is goodness, above is a warning.

Also, don’t lose sight of the fact that there can be “pockets” where rentals have an extremely low vacancy rate, and getting a rental there is hard work. This could be because of the proximity of facilities (near to the CBD, good schools, transport) or it could be “the top end of town” where many want to live, but few can get in there. If you can buy in these pockets, it really won’t matter too much about an overall high vacancy rate as this little area might be at 1% or less, even if Goulburn overall is at 5% !!

Benny

Profile photo of Guest

Ah I see thanks Benny. And holy crap at 5%? I had a question I am bit confused you said this “but few can get in there. If you can buy in these pockets, it really won’t matter too much about an overall high vacancy rate as this little area might be at 1% or less, even if Goulburn overall is at 5% !!” Are you saying don’t worry abut the 5% vacancy rate because some areas of Goulburn are at 1% or less? Thanks.

Oh yeah forgot about the vacancy rate somehow lol, will keep that in mind next time.

Profile photo of Guest

Just quickly here it says 1.5% vacancy rate in Goulbourn. http://www.realestateinvestar.com.au/Property/goulburn , where did you get the 5%?

@benny

Hi Investor,
    If you read all of the words carefully, you will see I was using words like “IF”, “might”, and “could be”.

That means, this was not reality I was describing, but an example of what “could be”. The underlying lesson was that some areas of Goulburn might have a majorly different vacancy rate than other areas, and that you do need to take this into account.

e.g. you have found data that says Goulburn has a 1.5% vacancy rate overall. Good for you for finding that, and yes, it is a good figure.

But now, do consider that NOT ALL of Goulburn “might” have 1.5% – some areas “might have 0.5%” while other areas “might have 3.5%”. Don’t be blinded by an overall figure, even though it appears to be quite a good figure. You “might” be looking to buy in the one area of Goulburn that “might have” a 4% vacancy rate (even though the overall is 1.5%). Get me?

The good overall rate of 1.5% is NOT the be-all and end-all, but it is a good start.

Benny

Profile photo of Guest

Ah, my mistake I misread that. But thanks for the extra info.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

You are most likely going to take out a loan to buy a property but how do you know what your budget is? I am guessing you go to the bank and they tell you.

I’m biased but I’d have a chat with a good broker who has access to dozens of lenders.

They’ll be able to run the numbers for you.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Guest

Sounds good thanks for the info.

Profile photo of Guest

Hey guys had another question which relates to analysis paralysis. I know people have this issue, I am reading this book called ” What every RE investor needs to know about cash flow” And it has topics all on calculating future cash flows, discounted cash flow, return on equity, internal rate of return, net present value etc. Seems like to me doing all these calculations would take a chunk of time and by the time you do it the property may of been sold already. My question is do any of you guys do these calculations? Also all these calculating are done in stock investing and I can see it been of use there. But can’t see it on RE investing, I think it has something to do with goals?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.