All Topics / General Property / Australia – Undervalued suburbs. Opportunity?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of KbrodeeKbrodee
    Participant
    @kbrodee

Hi there everyone!

My wife and I recently moved to Australia after being based in Europe for the past five years and were astonished at the prices for established homes on the outskirts of Sydney. Our plan had been to buy a house in greater Sydney primarily as an investment but one that we would live in and renovate over the next 3 years until our eldest child was ready to start school (renovating a home has always been a little goal of ours). At one point we were close to purchasing a property in St Marys about 50 minutes west of Sydney for approximately $550,000 but decided to keep looking as our original plan had been to buy within 15 minutes’ drive of a beach for under $500,000 (we quickly discovered this was nothing but a dream in Sydney!). St Marys didn’t really fit this criteria.

Realising Sydney was out of reach we began looking at Melbourne (Sydney and Melbourne were the only two cities we would consider) and soon came across Frankston North, a suburb with a median price up to 200,000 less than neighbouring suburbs. Although being told to avoid the area like the plague by nearly all of our friends in Melbourne (and even a friend in London) we decided to see it for ourselves. We spent a few weeks attending open homes and getting a good feel for the entire suburb (a suburb that is really quite small and really just an extension of Seaford, Frankston and Carrum Downs). We soon realised that the stigma attached to the suburb was in no way justified or logical. We had spent considerable time in the outer suburbs of Sydney over an hour’s drive from the CBD prior to looking in Melbourne, where the median price for a basic weatherboard house was 500+, many of those areas felt genuinely unsafe whereas we did not experience that feeling at all over the 6 weeks we spent exploring Frankston North. What we discovered was that there were a couple of bad pockets to avoid in Frankston North with the remainder of the suburb comprising of well-kept neat and tidy homes on large blocks. The surrounding infrastructure is excellent with direct access onto the motorway (45 mins to Melb CBD), close to the train station and great bus services into the town centre and one straight into Dandenong. It is also a 10 minute drive from the beach, Monash University etc. etc….

Finally, my question, given the median price in every suburb surrounding Frankston North is substantially more (e.g. Seaford $510k, Skye $453, Frankston $440), it is serviced by the same great infrastructure and generally appears no different from parts of Seaford or Frankston (other than then fact the average land size seems to be larger in Frankston North), does this suburb have enormous room to grow as soon as the false perception changes and the stigma is lifted? From what I can see this suburb appears to be incredibly undervalued or am I missing something less obvious?? I am yet to buy but am very close. I would love to hear a few more opinions as it is not a suburb that has been covered in the media much at all apart from a few articles at the beginning of 2016. Having spent considerable time there and considerable time in the western suburbs of Sydney I cannot understand why this small suburb serviced by amazing infrastructure and close to the incredible natural beauty of the beach and Mornington Peninsula it is still so cheap.

Would love your feedback!

Many thanks!!!

Profile photo of KbrodeeKbrodee
    Participant
    @kbrodee

Any last minute advice? I am currently negotiating a deal around the 360k mark in a nice leafy street in Frankston North (well away from the less desirable pocket), 10 minute drive to beach and walking distance to station. In my opinion this is still great value but would love to hear a few more opinions. FYI – this property is has a long-term tenant in place, good history and currently paying $330pw.

Any last minute tips??

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Kbrodee,

I can’t help with any knowledge of Frankston, but this quote of yours caught my eye:-

We soon realised that the stigma attached to the suburb was in no way justified or logical. We had spent considerable time in the outer suburbs of Sydney over an hour’s drive from the CBD prior to looking in Melbourne, where the median price for a basic weatherboard house was 500+, many of those areas felt genuinely unsafe whereas we did not experience that feeling at all over the 6 weeks we spent exploring Frankston North.

Sounds to me like you haven’t just “raced into the cheapest property you can find around”. As such, now and then we must simply chance our arm (or, if you like, go with your gut).

Your gut sounds quite settled. Maybe you have happened upon a previously “downer suburb” and it has now grown up – it happens.

If the price being paid sits favourably with the available comparables, then why not? Having a good tenant is worth quids, so also in its favour. And extra land for the same price – too good !!

Maybe an old quote I happened on the other day is worth repeating for you – take a look – the quote I refer to is the one that kicked off this thread (the “Heads I win” one……)
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/topic/4996026-quotes-of-note/

Hope it helps……

Benny

Participant
    @kbrodee

Thank you Benny, appreciate your input! I’m beginning to wish I’d gone with my gut almost a 1 year ago when we arrived in Aus. A similar property on the next street sold for $295,000!! If it were put on the market today I believe it would fetch well over $380k (one just sold for $390,000 on the same street). Many of the houses are being renovated and the street seems to be a family friendly enclave now.

Still, I’m confident the area has huge potential and is significantly undervalued by an out-dated perception of how the suburb once was! Walk a 100 metres into Seaford and you’ll pay up to $100,000 more for an identical property. In my opinion, a suburb name is not worth $100,000, it doesn’t make any sense! Only a matter of time I guess and I don’t want to be back here in a year with any regrets!

Many thanks

Kacy

Participant
    @kbrodee

Here is one Frankston North property I’m considering: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-frankston+north-123538858

Opinions?

:)

Participant
    @kbrodee

This is an example of what I should have bought when it was easy to pick something up for <$300,000. https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-frankston+north-120958106

At least I can still get in under $400,000!

@benny

OK Kbrodee,
    let me play devil’s advocate !! I checked out those links you posted. And the first one had a big question that I think needed answering.

It is on a good sized block (586m2?) and the interior looks very nice – perhaps renovated? So, the two questions that follow are these :-

1. It seems the median value for a 3bdr in FNorth is $316k. Given that, WHY is your one worth $60k more?

2. If others are NOT renovated, maybe THEY are back around that median, and waiting for YOU to buy them, spend $30k on a reno, and make $60k in Equity !!

So, is that first linked one a “solution”? (Has someone renovated it to boost up its price?)

Steve would say “Buy problems and sell solutions”. If you buy solutions, someone else will be taking the cream !!

Benny

Participant
    @kbrodee

Good point Benny! We were actually looking at properties around the $360k mark that still required extensive renovation. My guess is the one I posted above will actually sell between $390k and $410k based current conditions. Links below give an idea of what I’m talking about.

1) Original condition: https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-frankston+north-123359570
    2) Recent sale 390k: https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-frankston+north-122925802

If I could pick up a free-standing house today in Frankston North in need of renovation for under $350k I would jump on it. It seems there is nothing gong for under $350k and very soon I would not be surprised if it’s hard to come by a property under 400k.

I’ll check in once I’ve bought a place!

@benny

It seems there is nothing gong for under $350k

Did you see the Median that pops up whenever you click on a property (it takes about 30 secs to show up).

When clicking on that first link, it shows the Median (middle) price is $316k. So if most are selling for $350k, how can that Median be correct? It should indicate that a bunch more 3bedders are selling BELOW $316k.

Now median means middle – so, if 7 houses are sold, they could be $420, $410k, 390k, $316k (middle), $312k, $310k, and $310k. As you can see, the AVERAGE can be way higher than $316k. But median of $316k says there are others selling for that price or less.

Or Realestate.com.au have got it wrong.

By the way, if you click on a 4bdr house, the median “should” be higher – re.com.au seem to differentiate between #of bedrooms. Try it out.

Benny

Participant
    @kbrodee

That is very interesting Benny. I’ve never put much thought into how realestate.com.au calculates the median but it is something I will have to look into as I am certain that the current median price of $317k in no way reflects sales over the past two months. There are only a handful of properties in the past few months that have sold for under $330k and most of these (the ones that sold in the low 300s) would require extensive renovation just to make them habitable. Take this property for example: https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-frankston+north-122596402

Can anyone shed some light on how the median price on realestate.com.au is calculated??

@benny

Hi Kbrodee,

Can anyone shed some light on how the median price on realestate.com.au is calculated??

Yes, I can – I went to the source, pulled up that same property, then, where it shows Median Price, clicked on it. It opens up to show you the numbers, then has a comment like “How was this calculated?” Click on THAT, and all is revealed…..

Median Price: The price of a property that falls in the middle of the total number of houses sold over a period of time, based on 137 house sales from 1 Aug 2015 – 29 Aug 2016.

So suddenly, things make sense – and the Median value in this instance is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike !! :p

In a fast-moving market, the gap between last year’s prices and this year’s have obviously been substantial. More detailed info is needed, but one can GUESS that the lift in values has been quite recent, otherwise the Median would be reflecting a higher value already. Like, if prices started climbing in Sept 2015, then the median by now should be showing near $360k+

But given that Sales of 137 houses are considered, and the MIDDLE one is showing $317k, I can only conclude that the changes in value have been occurring for way LESS than 6 months. The “middle” value is perhaps from 6 months ago while prices were still depressed.

Anyway, now we know, kind of. In a few more months, I would expect that Median to race upward, based on your comments and the passing of time.

Edited later – 18 Jan 17 – Median now showing as $340k (middle price calculated from 110 sales between 1Jan16 to 17Jan17). Still “behind the times”, showing that its growth is not slowing. Also shows that perhaps growth was “under way” by Jun16 (then $340k instead of $317k around March). A further check in Mar17 should see a value near $360k reflecting Sep16 values…. My guesses are that the mid-point of the value should be evident around the mid-point of the timeframe. That is NOT accurate, but should give some kind of normalcy to the median values in a fast-growth market. e.g. I called Jun16 as likely value of $340k – but in fact, Mar 16 was only $317k median, Frankston North might have had all of its growth in just 9 months, not 12 – thus, a “middle sale” might have taken place in Aug16 and not Jun 16. There is no way for me to know for sure.

Edited later again – 28 May 17 – Median today for a 3/1 house in Frankston North is $394k (middle price calculated from 165 sales between 1May16 to 24May17) with Rental Yield of 4% ($300/wk). :) And a quick look at properties for sale shows that asking prices are above THIS Median – so, still growing?

Latest Update – 20 Dec 17 – the 3Bdr Median for Frankston North today is now $455k. Once more, this is the “middle” price of 150+ houses sold in the last 12 months. I think KBrodee will be a happy camper today for going ahead and purchasing in Sep16. One interesting point is that the 4Bdr median today is just $485k. In most cases, a 4Bdr often commands way more than a 3Bdr ($50k to $70k more) – is the closeness of both values indicating an approaching “top of the market”? Or is it an aberration? Hmmm…..
    Benny

PS I see your point re that “needs renovation” place. I’m wondering if $306k is really pie in the sky, but someone who can spend the time and love can maybe get a place with good bones for a good price somewhere in the 2’s. And is that a granny flat in the back yard? Hmmm !!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Benny Benny. Reason: Update medians as of mid January
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of Benny Benny. Reason: Further update - Dec 2017
    Participant
    @kbrodee

I see. That is great to know. It would be good if realestate.com.au provided a median over say 3 to 6 months rather than 12. As we can see the median of 317k in no way reflects the market over the past 3 months! Might have to renew my RP Data membership!

Time for me to me to get into this area before we see that median climb north of 400k in the very near future. Only a matter of time for an area like this! Thank you very much for your input Benny, most helpful!

Kacy

Participant
    @kbrodee
    Participant
    @kbrodee

Bought in Frankston North over the weekend!

Looking to now buy in Adelaide and Brisbane. Can anyone suggest some undervalued areas in these cities?

I am aiming to buy in both cities for under $400k.

Profile photo of PatriciaPatricia
    Participant
    @patsyb

Congrats on your purchase @kbrodee!! Such a coincidence as I just joined this forum and read Steve’s book and yet I was in Franskton North 2 weekends ago driving around and having the same musings as your post which was one of the 1st I clicked on upon joining.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Patricia Patricia.
    Profile photo of DanielDaniel
    Participant
    @danielmillbrook1979

I’m in the same boat as you Patricia and am also familiar with Frankston North. It is an interesting market. I note a recent sale, $413,000 (possibly yours kbrodee) that indicates the suburb has seen huge gains during the past year coming from a median price of below $300,000 just a few months back. One to watch!!!

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

I would also consider Melbournes western suburbs, they have already moved like most of Melb but they are still good value. Melb is number 1 for immigration and service based industries growing. Broadmeadows only 15 km from cbd, look for development sites with potential, build at rear and manufacture cash flow

Marusa
    MTR:)

Profile photo of Trent757Trent757
    Participant
    @trent757
    Profile photo of Trent757Trent757
    Participant
    @trent757

Well spotted Kbrode!

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Frankston has definitely had a lot of ongoing interest for a number of years now – with a major run up over the last 24 months.

The trend follows most of metro Melbourne – I would be looking at similar priced arounds in the Western suburbs to compare against, as Frankston does have a bit of variability in medians. (there was a slight drop in the last decade at certain points, particularly 2011-12)

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.