All Topics / Help Needed! / Renting vs buying home

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of RaftimRaftim
    Participant
    @raftim

I’m looking into buying a property, but I’m conflicted with the thought of renting while having an investment property. This doesn’t make sense to me. Should I buy a house to live in first and then look at investing?

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Raftim,

Welcome aboard and great to see you posting a question right away!!

That confliction you feel is quite common – maybe because we are not exposed to “alternatives” when growing up in the average household.

Should I buy a house to live in first and then look at investing?

Both ways have benefits and the decision should not be made lightly. But, read this (following link) for a bit of an “alternative look” at that question.
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/topic/4410491-the-big-picture-for-new-readers-especially/#post-4697967

In short, the author shows that renting and owning an IP can be FINANCIALLY better than buying your PPOR. But then, there might be NON-financial aspects that need consideration too – so the decision remains with you, as you know YOU and your situation best !! ;)

Benny

Profile photo of michael@propertunitybuyersagentsmichael@propertunitybuyersagents
    Participant
    @michaelpickham

Hi Raftim,

Good question. There can be many answers to this. Have you spoken to your accountant or financial advisor? I personally consider paying someone else’s mortgage off to be somewhat “dead money”. This doesn’t mean that I’m right. If you were to buy one or two properties in a reasonable growth area, you’d be doing better than the cash rate at the bank at the moment although that’s debatable too. Cheers

Michael

michael@propertunitybuyersagents | Propertunity Buyers Agents
    http://www.propertunity.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Real Estate Buyers Agent for Sydney & Central Coast

Profile photo of ABAB
    Participant
    @ameetvbhat

Hi Raftim,
    Personally I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer to this question. Well thought out and depending on your circumstances, either option could be financially viable.
    Good Luck,
    AB

Profile photo of Jason TyrrellJason Tyrrell
    Participant
    @jason-tyrrell

Hi Raftim,

Others have covered off on most things to consider well.

But renting where you want to live, and investing where you think you will get the best results makes perfect sense.

Cheers

Jason

Jason Tyrrell | Turning Point Finance
    http://www.turningpointfinance.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Finance Strategist and Investor

Profile photo of MikeMike
    Participant
    @mikesonthemic

My preference has been to rent where I want to live and invest where it makes sense. I like the flexibility of renting and not being tired to a particular property.

Also, the places I want to live don’t fit with my investing strategy and don’t stack up for me. So I get the best of both worlds.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.