Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of SamiSami
    Participant
    @samiv

HI, I’m new here and I haven’t found anything concrete on the internet about this zoning code- R17.5/40.
    I’m considering a block of land and small house in Bentley, WA (City of Canning)- 723sq mt land with a 3×1 house.
    The agent says we would be able to put another dwelling on the block, can anyone confirm this?

• This topic was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Sami Sami.
    Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Sami,

Some useful words re the WA zoning numbers in the link below from Jason Staggers:-
    https://www.propertyinvesting.com/r-zoning-codes-for-western-australia/

From a quick skim of the article, it seems to me that the RE agent might be “saying anything to make a sale” so do read it all carefully. Jason does say that the R number is not the whole picture – but the R17.5 says minimum block size is 571m2, so do check everything prior to going to contract on THAT property.

Jason explains their numbering system (quite sensible to me) in this way. The number denotes how many dwellings they will allow per hectare in that zone. e.g. 571 x 17.5 = 9992.5 (nearly 10,000m2 which is one hectare). For more density (smaller blocks allowed), the number needs to be higher – like the R25 zoning which allows a minimum block size of 400m2.

Benny

Profile photo of SamiSami
    Participant
    @samiv

Thanks so much for the info Benny (and Jason).

Profile photo of David HallDavid Hall
    Participant
    @wiggles2

Hi Sami,

You have what is called a split density code. The R17.5 is the minimum development possibilities for the site. If the property meets certain criteria, you may be able to develop at the R40. The exact requirements will depend on the specific pocket you are in. As stated above, ignore what the real estate agent says. The majority of sales agents know nothing about development.

With the address in hand go to the council, as to speak to the duty planner and they will out line the possibilities and what the requirements are to get the higher zoning for the pocket you are in.

What they won’t tell you is some of the cheats and workarounds for planning restrictions. If its close to the edge, I would go and talk to private planner.

The Perth market has just come off the bottom, particularly in the northern suburbs. If you are buying now you are getting it at the best possible time.

If you have any questions, please PM Me

David Hall | The Buyers Agency
    Email Me | Phone Me

Buyers Agent

Profile photo of SamiSami
    Participant
    @samiv

Thank you David.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.