All Topics / Help Needed! / What do you look for in an investment property?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of dana_c_83dana_c_83
    Participant
    @danac83

As someone interested in getting started with an IP, I was interested to hear what you find the most important factors are when looking for a place to purchase
    – what if the suburb is quite popular/expensive but easily rentable with high rental yield?
    – or would you look at a nearby up-and-comer where purchase price is less but so is rent
    – are you looking for a property that is going to significantly increase in price upon selling?
    – Close to amenities, train stations, etc but no parking
    – or slightly further out but parking, garage etc
    – IP in your own state and an area you know
    – 1 bedroom unit or 2?

I’m just trying to gauge what the most important factors are and where you make the most of your money, is it when it comes to sale, or the rent etc. How important is it to make sure the IP is purchased at a reasonable sale price?

Profile photo of Hank HongHank Hong
    Participant
    @sid13473134

Hi dana_c_83,

For a investment it depends what you are personally looking for, there are quite a few school of thoughts on the best ways to invest. Personally if you have enough money and income buy something to start and learn by buying.

My number one rule – take any emotion out of purchasing a investment property it has to be purely financial and logical.Understand this is not advice it is just purely my thought and experience.

Positive geared properties and negative geared properties neither is wrong or better but is subject to your personal financial situation.

Positive geared have worked in the past for people with lower income, it does not have higher equity increase, usually has higher rental yield and allows additional income to purchase more. In this situation you are looking to build up a portfolio of additional income to purchase more properties.

Negative geared is good for stronger incomes who are looking for equity increases and tax deductions from their income.

In responses to your questions
    – if the suburb is expensive and you can afford it, there will be less rental vacancies and usually in very populated areas. closer to metro/city areas.
    – I personally like up and coming areas which have been ignored
    – depending on your situation if you can beat the rush it is always a great investment opportunity, especially if there is future infrastructure or new rail lines etc.
    – Close to train stations is always number 1 on my list as a investment, and convenience to commercial or business areas.
    – if it is your first investment areas that you know and feel comfortable with is always important. But if you cannot afford it going further out is never a bad idea.
    – Areas with strong ethnical areas help as well as they create their own hub/village.
    – ideally 2 bedroom wins over 1 but if it is 1 bedroom in the middle or close to the city will outdo a 2 bedroom further out.

We can go on forever which is better, best answer is purchase within your means, purchase in a area which has potential. Avoid any places that is dependant on one industrial income e.g. mining towns.

Hope this helps.

Hank Hong
    Email Me

Google Hank Hong he's pretty cool.

Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @johnny99

I think what you look for depends on your earnt income.

As a school teacher I have to look for a positively geared property, a negative one would hurt a lot.
    Also I really think the Dsr scores are an interesting development. In addition I think you can have positive cashflow and good capital growth. Too many people think you have to choose, but it is defiantly possible to have both. I am looking for a property below the median price in the suburb which allows more growth to occur. If you buy the grandest house in the suburb it can take years for the market to catch up.

Spill over areas adjacent to more affluent suburbs are a good bet for me too – they will likely increase overtime when people are priced out of the main area.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Jon Jon.
    Profile photo of TheNewGuyTheNewGuy
    Participant
    @thenewguy

It’s seriously situation dependent, however, to give you a feel for my situation. I’m in my 30s, married with kids with a fairly high income. I’m in the accumulation phase and still have some serviceability from my own income. I’m looking for buy and holds that are generally neutral geared with the expectation of above average growth over the next 5+ years. In reality that means it costs nothing to hold them from the start (assuming rented etc) but my net worth on paper goes up and I don’t pay tax unless I sell – redraw though is tax free :)

I look for the ugly duckling free standing home, either in a good suburb or next to one. My goal is to gain about $4m in property with less than 50% LVR and live by redrawing capital growth every year and pay the interest from the rent (some deductible / some not). Tax is reduced significantly. I have super as well.

Profile photo of JonJon
    Participant
    @johnny99

Hi the New Guy. I have read books about people who live off the equity increase from their ip portfolio. But with the new lending rules it would seem very hard to get refinanced if you don’t have any job income? With some lenders not taking all or even any rental income into account now it seems like a hard task to live off equity unless you have huge rents coming in?

Profile photo of TheNewGuyTheNewGuy
    Participant
    @thenewguy

Hi Jon

Realistically I’m a couple of decades off retiring so I’m always playing with some legislative risk. My bank currently takes 80% rental income into account, so as long as my LVR remains low (below 50%) the rental income easily covers the interest on the loan. Obviously you need rental increases each year as well.

On top of that it’s only part of my plan. I still have super (accumulative) and a pension based super as well. All going well the combo of those should be enough… hopefully!

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi there,

But with the new lending rules it would seem very hard to get refinanced if you don’t have any job income?

Things change over time – the main thing is that TheNewGuy has got into a position of strength. If it turns out that changes mean that borrowing is harder with no Income, then one sale, and using the Equity to pay down others means their LVR strengthens and more income flows from them – keep a bit of freed-up equity to buy a new car, holiday, whatever. One way or another, it will work….

Keep your weather eye open, and read the winds – set the sails accordingly !!

Benny

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.