All Topics / Overseas Deals / How to purchase Australian properties when I am in overseas?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of DavidDavid
    Join Date: 2016
    Post Count: 2

    Hello guys,

    I am seeking for advice on how to purchase an Australian property when we are away in overseas?
    Without physical inspection, How can I make my final decision?
    How am I going to settle the transaction?


    Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Join Date: 2012
    Post Count: 1,010

    *hire a building inspector and have the property inspected by a property manager
    *Utilise a buyers agent who can complete the due diligence on your behalf

    Don’t buy sight unseen of course, but it’s not that difficult to have someone work on your behalf.

    Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    Email Me | Phone Me

    Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

    Profile photo of DavidDavid
    Join Date: 2016
    Post Count: 2

    Thank you very much, Corey.

    Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Join Date: 2005
    Post Count: 338

    God advice from Corey, and if considering a BA, FYI we are used to working with away clients, I have had plenty. It is not a problem as long as we can do postage of original contracts when required. Scanning and email takes care of the rest. Where are you looking? There are a few good BA’s on the forums. A typical client of mine will engage the service, look at the research and photos/videos I send them and decide on the strength of that more than half haven’t been inside before settlement.

    BuyersAgent | Precium
    Email Me | Phone Me

    South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at

    Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Join Date: 2001
    Post Count: 16,213

    Get a power of attorney appointed before leaving. You can make it restrictive such as to only allow the attorney to sign contracts for purchase and associated documents. Check with your lender whether they will accept loan and mortgage documents signed by an attorney. Also look into the witnessing requirements for the state you are purchasing in.

    Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    Email Me

    Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide)

    Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Join Date: 2003
    Post Count: 12,024

    We have dozens of ex-pat forum clients who we have purchased property for located all over the globe.

    In most cases we hold a Power of Attorney for them allowing me to sign the Purchase Contract as a Licensed Agent although in many States by appointing a Buyers Agent they have the power to do so.

    Unless you are going to the moon the practicalities of not being in Australia can easily be overcome.


    Yours in Finance

    Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

    Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Join Date: 2009
    Post Count: 2,539

    Hi @daweilin

    Welcome to the forums

    As the boys have pointed out, it’s all doable and there are slight differences in the prepped paperwork in each state if using a Buyers Agent.

    As Richard mentioned, unless you’re going to the moon it can be done. With that said, if you intend to be uncontactable for a period of time during the searching process or while under contract, it is important to let your Buyers Agent and mortgage broker know so that this can be taken into account. Otherwise it will be assumed you are contactable via phone and have access to printer/scanner/email facilities each day.

    Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    Email Me | Phone Me

    VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.