All Topics / Help Needed! / I have hit a fork in the road and would mine some advice / opinions / ideas

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of CheezelCheezel
    Participant
    @cheezel

Hi Guys,

Sorry that this is a bit long winded.

I joined the forum today and after having a look through some of the threads it seems there is years of experience from property investors here.

I have come to a bit of a fork in the road and wouldn’t mind using the forum as a bit of a sounding board to get some ideas opinions etc on the way forward.

But before a ask a stack of questions I will give you a little bit of back ground on where I am at the moment regarding my investment property journey.

I am a touch over 40. I purchased my first property back in 2000 and since have 5 investment properties in South East QLD. About 12 Months ago I sold up in Sydney and moved up to the Whitsundays in QLD. The strategy I used was following the Principles of Seven Steps to wealth, Buy new property with land content for capital growth near major city centres. At the time I sourced the properties via the Investors club that were house and land (As I wasn’t confident enough to do my own research). Due to life, wife, kids etc investing in property has been put on hold for the last 8 years. But now I think it’s time to jump back on the investment property bandwagon and continue to build the property portfolio.

One mistake I made was having all my properties in QLD. The first three I purchased in 2000, 2002, 2003 and have got great capital growth over the 15 years. I thought that the Capital growth would continue. So I purchased another 2 properties in 2007 and 2008. These two properties have had minimal capital growth as of 2016. Some people have talked about the GFC effecting the market in QLD and I have read a lot lately about SE QLD being the next place to boom (At least i hope so).

Now the investors club really don’t have much to offer outside SE QLD and seem to do more apartment complexes etc. so I have begun the process of working out what to do next. So here are some questions and I would love to hear from forum members on what they think.

What would be the best locations outside QLD to invest in over the next 12 months looking at new House and Land type properties with okay rental returns?

I am a little time poor to do extensive research on areas etc so I have been looking into the likes of Phil Anderson, Real Wealth and Michael Yardney and Beinvested. Has anyone on the forum had any first hand (not I heard from so and so) positive or negative experiences with any of these guys and or any other property organisation?

All the properties I have purchased are in my name. Only now have I realised that it may not been the best way to have it structured. I have asked my accountant and got a bit of a mixed answer. See below

“Certainly companies and trusts can provide you with not only asset protection (I would also advice a discussion with your solicitor to get more clarity on what recourse people can have) but land tax benefits. On the negative side, trusts and companies cannot distribute losses for the use to offset your personal income tax as you currently receive with your other properties. Companies also don’t receive any tax benefits (50% CGT discount) upon the sale of the property, it’s a flat 30% and then you have to take the profits out beyond that.”

So I am none the wiser what to do and just wanted to see if anyone has the ideal structure for purchasing property or should I just continue buying in my name?

Is anyone doing the Positive cash flow strategy like the guys at Beinvested do and is it working for you? I see the main guy Nathan has just got his 200th property (Been all over the News) in the same period as I have only managed 5 so I just wonder if I have picked the right strategy from the start.

Any direction / opinions / or personal experiences on the above would be much appreciated.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Cheezel

You have noted that perhaps your portfolio could do with diversification outside of QLD, but perhaps also consider diversifying into property other than just house and land packages? Value can be found in a variety of forms.

Appropriate strategy differs from person to person depending on age, proximity to retirement etc. Depending on age and other assets, SMSFs can be a powerful vehicle.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of CheezelCheezel
    Participant
    @cheezel

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks for the tips! All options are on the table at the moment regarding the types of property. It would be great to hear what strategies people have put into practice and their successes/failures if any.

On SMSF the only thing I don’t like about Super is I have to wait until 65 before I get any benefit and the government does have a knack of moving the goal posts. To be honest I want to have the option to semi retire / retire way before I turn 65.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Cheezel

There are a lot of people in the world all at many different stages in life, so there will be many different strategies to be heard, but not all will apply to your stage of life or circumstance. It’s important to keep laser focus and not get distracted with irrelevant strategies.

With SMSF, the thing to remember is that some of your money is already quarantined in super anyway. Might as well put it to good use ;)

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @cheezel

Hi Jacqui,

My logic is if I am investing in property outside the SMSF then I am diversifying by investing in other things like shares, gold etc within the SMSF.

But thanks again for the tip!

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

I would be very wary of certain organisations you have mentioned in your initial post. Remember all that glistens is not gold.

Settling on a 200th property means nothing if you have debt on all of them.

I retired at 40 with 40 properties without any debt at all and a portfolio value in 2004 of $26M. There is a big difference.

Like anything a mix of strategies is required but bottom line is most people can’t buy more than 10-15 properties because they don’t have the servicing capability or the equity.

I do everything else but buy shares and gold in my SMSF.

If you are worried about the goal posts moving prey that Labour don’t get into power with Bill Shorten wanting to implement his property tax changes.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

The ideal structure will depend on your personal circumstances and the circumstances of the properties you will be buying next. A discretionary trust in QLD may work well whereas in NSW it would cost you a small fortune in land tax each year.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @cheezel

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply.

And yes you make a good point about what is currently out there in regards to organisations. That is pretty impressive to have 40 properties paid off. I am interested (If your willing to share) how did you achieve this? Was it buy properties and sell at the top of the market to pay off other properties? I assumed you used a combo of many strategies and of course having a good income always helps?

I think Bill won’t be elected so there is nothing to worry about unless off course the Libs spring a surprise in their next budget.

Participant
    @cheezel

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the reply.

So are you saying that the location of the properties I am thinking to buy will determine what structure I put in place? Does that mean I could possibly have a different structure for each state? Please let me know if I am way off the mark. This side of things is pretty new to me.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Cheezel, yes and yes

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.