All Topics / Help Needed! / Buyers agents?? Worth the 8% or research yourself..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of tumfrombrisbanetumfrombrisbane
    Participant
    @tumsp

Hey everyone,

I’ve got a couple of investment properties now in Brisbane and have formed a company to really get into the investment business long term, recently while speaking with my Accountant about the company he mentioned “buyers agents” He had alot of good things to say, Would love to know everyones thoughts on them and if you have used them before.

Thanks

Tim

Profile photo of RedwoodRedwood
    Participant
    @redwood

What were the good things your accountant mentioned? which company?

Buyers agents may or not work and will depend on a number of factors, fee is important as well as the track record of success. For me, I’m a control freak so would not be able to use one, however if I did, I would be first asking for their track record of success and once they come up with a suburb start my own due diligence, however many will just take the recommendation, depends on the relationship/ referral to the agent.

Maybe start educating yourself and if its too hard seek an agent Tim

Cheers Ivan

Redwood | REDWOOD | SMSF | PROPERTY | FINANCE
    http://redwoodadvisory.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

SMSF - PROPERTY INVESTMENT - WEALTH CREATION AND FINANCE SOLUTIONS

Profile photo of tumfrombrisbanetumfrombrisbane
    Participant
    @tumsp

Hi Ivan

Thanks for that.

My accountant didn’t actually mention any specific company, just that he knew of a really good agent and they have had some really good success, saying that, who tells others of a bad product when you’re on a marketing spiel.

I’m definitely much keener to educate myself further about Brisbane as a whole and the areas of potential boom whilst building a portfolio, I really just want to know of people who have used an agent and what their story is, Did it pay off, Or was it work that can be done yourself with a little dedication to your portfolio building?

Cheers

Tim

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Tim,
    Your title mentioned an 8% fee – is this a number that has been quoted to you? It seems way too high to me. At that kind of rate I would be looking for another alternative !!

I was interested to hear you have started a company. Do you want to share what you do? e.g. a company that does reno’s, or developing, or sell Real Estate, or something else?

Benny

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Most BA’s my clients have utilised are 5-12k max, dependent on the State, property price etc.

They certainly have their place, not everyone has the capability or skill to invest hundreds of hours into learning about an area and investment class – it doesn’t take much to make a mistake which will cost you many factors of the cost of a BA by buying in the wrong area, paying the wrong price etc.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Tim

8% is an extraordinary fee – was that a typo?

As Corey has mentioned, a mistake can cost far more than the fee a good BA may have charged you. Other key reasons for using BAs are not having the time to commit to research, inspecting property etc (quite a common issue for people that have children), or wanting to acquire property in a different state to where you reside.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

I’m definitely much keener to educate myself further about Brisbane as a whole and the areas of potential boom whilst building a portfolio, I really just want to know of people who have used an agent and what their story is, Did it pay off, Or was it work that can be done yourself with a little dedication to your portfolio building?
    Cheers
    Tim

This says a lot about you and is a good indicator that a BA is probably not a fit for your personality type and investing style. Which is totally fine by the way. People who have done enough work to get success 3 or more times and enjoy the time spent plus the process of research, due diligence and negotiation may need a BA less than others. The folks that enjoy success with BA’s tend to want their lives back so spend less time on forums. A big part of why I do what I do is because I hate hearing stories of people being fleeced and ripped off in the market. For some people the process itself is daunting, and their lack of knowledge, confidence, or time means they will struggle to outperform the market or be sure of getting good value quality properties. Others don’t even know what they should buy as they haven’t been able to clarify their goals and set a plan that will get them there. It ends up being about trust, and working together. Protecting the interest of my client is what drives me.

If we think about other skill sets, I have seen good solicitors being worth their weight in gold in nasty property transactions so I would trust one completely every time, even though technically I could do my own conveyancing. Its it good value to me to pay a solicitor? Yes. Is it good value to pay a surgeon when I need an operation? Yes. It is good value to pay someone to mow my lawns? Yes. They do certain things faster, better, and I would rather be doing what I love and am best at. Are all those things good value to someone else? I don’t know that is up to them.

If I can find a team I enjoy working with who do a good job and make my life easier, I will do that every time because I love that way of working. Some people want to do everything themselves and never trust others, they have a different set of values and drivers. Which parts should you do yourselves and which parts should you get help with? That is different for every person.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

A good BA is definitely worthwhile.

8% of purchase price seems very steep though!

The BA’s I’ve worked with (via mutual clients) seem to charge in the vicinity of $5 to $10k

You’ve had some great BA’s respond above.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

To be fair I guess at 70k it might be 8% on a fixed fee around 6k. Not a common purchase price anymore though.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

If you are looking in another state it might be worth while otherwise learn how to do it for yourself. There are some easy formulas to follow. However it depends on what time you have available.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.