All Topics / General Property / Crazy tenant demands

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    Participant
    @xenia-alexarealestate

Over the years as a property manager I thought I had seen it all but this morning’s request from a tenant has to take the cake.

There was a brand new Electric hot water unit installed in one of our rental properties yesterday.

To replace a similar faulty one that was leaking.

This morning we had a repair request come through from the tenant and it said.
    I know that the hot water unit is brand-new but I would like the landlord to remove it and put it in a gas hot water unit, can you tell me when she would be able to do that?

I let my office staff handle the reply to that one obviously a big fat NO!

But my answer would have been ” yes sure would you like me to come and give you a foot massage at the same time? A brand-new car with that perhaps? What else would you like? ”

Had to share because it’s funny

Xenia | Alexa Real Estate Pty Ltd
    http://www.alexarealestate.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Adelaide Property Manager

Profile photo of DanbDanb
    Participant
    @hoffmand

I had a young first time renting couple in one of my places, who must have been told that they wouldn’t have to pay for water use by their parents. When they realised that they WERE liable to pay for any water use, they put in a request that I pay for an electric water pump ($500 !) so they can use the rain water tank on the garden.
    My answer was a solid NO! and reminded them that the town water supply will deliver to their door a trailer load of water for only $2 or $3.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

I know that the hot water unit is brand-new but I would like the landlord to remove it and put it in a gas hot water unit, can you tell me when she would be able to do that?

lol – some people! Probably think the owner is made of money.

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Fantastic Xenia.

I have a guess you won’t be adding that tenant to your Xmas card list.

Cheers

Yours in Finance
    0-40 Properties in a decade. Ask me how.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Senense InternationalSenense International
    Participant
    @senense-international

Oh Xenia. You asked for it when you installed an Electric water heater. Gas is sooo much more efficient and affordable for the user!

But, in the end, the tenant has little choice about the hardware installed, and asking for replacement of a perfectly operable unit is absurd. You just better hope they don’t find a way to destroy the electric heater, just to get their point across! There are some vindictive souls out there!

Imagine if your tenant requested that you also install solar panels on the roof so that they didn’t have to pay for the extra electricity that they now have to fork out to run the new water heater!

Participant
    @senense-international

Danb,

I have been both a property owner and a tenant before, so I am looking at this from both perspectives. I agree with you that a request for a water pump is quite excessive, but what is the use of the water tank if you cannot use the water inside?

If the garden (or at least lawn) is the responsibility of the tenant, then why should the tenant have to pay for the water? Double whammy for the tenant. That is why I never charged for the first 25% of water charges. I expect my property to be clean and green when my tenant leaves. I do not expect them to have to pay twice for it though. All of my tenants have happily kept my gardens growing! I also send a gardener out to do the pruning of the trees and shrubbery. I cannot expect my tenants to be responsible for killing a shrub when they pruned it too far back, unless they are a trained gardener, of course.

My final thoughts on water in a lease… if there is a water tank on the premises, it should be plumbed into the garden, laundry and toilets to enable greywater use. If that means installing a water pump, well then so be it. The tenant will then pay for all water charges… If there is not a water tank on the premises, the tenant should be subsidised for water usage, or not expected to keep a green garden.

Tenants do ask for a lot sometimes, but landlords are equally unreasonable, and expect too much from their tenants. I was your average landlord once and once only. I squeezed every little bit out of the tenant that the lease provided, and in the end had suffered damages that exceeded the bond deposit that was paid. End result, loss on damage, and loss on empty premises during cleanup. Since that time, I look at every landlord decision from my tenants perspectives, and if it is going to have a negative impact on them, I will reconsider my decision. I have never suffered damages since, have never had to make a claim on a bond, and have never had my properties vacant for more than 24hrs to perform final inspections and touch-up mend fair wear and tear.

Profile photo of dtrain28dtrain28
    Participant
    @dtrain28

My property has a water tank on it, plumbed only to the laundry. I provided a garden hose for the tenant, and advised that I just let this run on to the lawn to water it (it’s all I did when I lived in the property and it worked fine).

Profile photo of Stephen DuncombeStephen Duncombe
    Participant
    @stephenduncombe

What do you guys think to this request..

Tenants inspect a property and see it has vents for heating and cooling in the ceiling and floor. They also notice that there is portable electric heaters in the bedroom and lounge room downstairs where the vents are. One of the vents has been taped over with sticky tape.

The tenants asked the agent if the heating works in the property as there are portable heaters in the rooms. He said he would confirm.

They agree to move in and find that the heating does not work. The agent then inform them it was obvious the heating did not work during their inspection as there was sticky tape over the vents. They ask for the heating to be fixed but the agent informs them the portable heaters are sufficient. The room is open plan double story and there is one heater downstairs and one upstairs.

Would you want to rent from this agent?

Participant
    @senense-international

An agent is employed to work in the principal/landlord’s best interests. A good agent will work for both the landlord and the tenant. If this agent never bothered to clarify if the heating worked, this agent is a bad agent. If this agent ASSumed that the tenant would find it obvious that the heating did not work, even though they asked for clarification, then this agent is terrible, and is not only pulling the wool over their own eyes, but over that of the landlord and tenant.

If a tenant has a lease for a property that has a heating system in it, then, unless it is specifically excluded, or it is mentioned in the lease that the system does not work, the tenant is right to expect it to work, and is right to ask for it to be repaired. If there was a dishwasher in the kitchen at the inspection time, would you expect it to work if you were the tenant? I know I would, unless it was specifically excluded. It is not up to the tenant to find out if something works before using it, it is up to the landlord to declare that it is excluded or inoperable. The agent is just an extension of the landlord.

Profile photo of XeniaXenia
    Participant
    @xenia-alexarealestate

What do you guys think to this request..
    Tenants inspect a property and see it has vents for heating and cooling in the ceiling and floor. They also notice that there is portable electric heaters in the bedroom and lounge room downstairs where the vents are. One of the vents has been taped over with sticky tape.
    The tenants asked the agent if the heating works in the property as there are portable heaters in the rooms. He said he would confirm.
    They agree to move in and find that the heating does not work. The agent then inform them it was obvious the heating did not work during their inspection as there was sticky tape over the vents. They ask for the heating to be fixed but the agent informs them the portable heaters are sufficient. The room is open plan double story and there is one heater downstairs and one upstairs.
    Would you want to rent from this agent?

The tenant can challenge this at a tribunal hearing and likely win the case. Tenancy legislation requires that all maintenance is done and all is working. The fact that there are vents there can be reasonable grounds for the tenant to assume that there is ducted air conditioning.

Xenia | Alexa Real Estate Pty Ltd
    http://www.alexarealestate.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Adelaide Property Manager

Profile photo of Stephen DuncombeStephen Duncombe
    Participant
    @stephenduncombe

Good responses Senense and Xenia. Thanks for those.

Profile photo of bullet46bullet46
    Participant
    @bullet46

Haha – love these types of things.

I once received one because the line on the clothes line was a tad loose. It was a brand new property so it had obviously stretched by a very minimal amount.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.