All Topics / Help Needed! / Fly screens in the Northern Territory

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of LeaLea
    Participant
    @lea3

Hello, I hope I’ve come to the right place for rental advice. I recently rented a new property that does not have fly screens on the windows or doors. I didn’t realise how bad this would be, now that I am living here. The property is situated opposite a bushland. There is no other way to ventilate the property without leaving the sliding glass doors open. I have had cane toads and huntsman spiders coming inside! I have 3 children and the youngest is now petrified of living here. The stress is too much and he has been crying everyday since we have been here. The property is air-conditioned although I am not in a position to keep it on 24 hours a day to cool the place down. Ventilation is another concern! I have taken this issue up with the property agents and have verbally been told yes for fly screens but they can’t give a time frame. There are quite a few properties without fly screens in the complex and I know of someone else who ask for fly screens and was told no??? These people are renting through the same agents that I do. This is a particularly sensitive issue as the children and I are trying to make the best out of a terrible situation. Since separating from my husband I have rented one other property without any problems at all. I am surprised that fly screens are not mandatory, as far as I know anyway. I haven’t unpacked anymore stuff as I’m not sure if we will have to move if fly screens don’t eventuate. If I was an owner I would want my house to be ventilated, bug and wildlife free!

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Lea,
    and welcome to propertyinvesting.com I feel for you with fly screens NOT being a “given”, and the RE agent seemingly reluctant to provide them, I am gobsmacked. I would certainly want to provide them in my rental properties, especially in the Northern Territory.

Have you tried checking with other RE agents in your area? Maybe phone one or two, to see if they think fly screens are mandatory in their area.

I hope other forum members with a bit of knowledge might pop in to add some more ideas for you too, to help you out

Regards,
    Benny

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

How could they not be mandatory especially in tropical areas. Ring Fair Trading and ask for advice. They may have a service as in NSW where they contact the agent on your behalf to expedite matters. If they’re mandatory in your area as they should be in my humble opinion, you should be eligible for a rent reduction until they’re installed or even an order paying rent to Fair Trading until they’re installed and maybe both. Meanwhile get bed mosquito nets so you can sleep until it’s rectified. Speaks low volumes about the PM and PO.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.