All Topics / Opinionated! / Poll: What makes a better property investment?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

What makes a better property investment?

Hi all,

This thread is for discussion of this poll. Please submit your vote and your thoughts on why!

Benny

Profile photo of TaylorChangTaylorChang
    Participant
    @scha9799

This is a very interesting poll.

I often found some people paying too much for the old and tired property in comparison with existing recently renovated property.

Sometimes, people over estimated their ability to renovate but under estimate the existing renovated property value.

TaylorChang | Finance Broker
    Email Me | Phone Me

Home loan | Commercial loan | 0414 691 517

Profile photo of #Planning Permit#Planning Permit
    Participant
    @planning

An old tired but in a great location and with potential to add value like a dual occ would be my choice. Reno the old tired home and sell to finance and develop in the rear yard.

#Planning Permit | AuArchitecture
    http://www.auarchitecture.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Subdivision expert with 250 planning permits approved by Melbourne Councils

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Old, tired all the way. You can manufacture equity – either by yourself or paying tradies to do the work. Off the plan comes at a premium – and are flooding a lot of capital city markets.

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Thuy NguyenThuy Nguyen
    Participant
    @tnguyen

Well I think it depends on the price. In a hot market the price tends to be not much different between a nice property and a rotten one. So why not buy a nice one with a similar price. Whether or not to buy in a hot market is another matter :).

Profile photo of KatarinaHKatarinaH
    Participant
    @toddy2015

I think it is more the matter of what kind of investment you are after. If it is value adding it would be the old tired one; for instant return and rental income the renovated one. But if you set up the retirement portfolio, have the funds you might as well buy off plan and go for brand new. And it also depends what kind of investor personality you are. Risk vs safe rental return for example.

And of course don’t forget the location. An old tired one in a premium location would always beat the off-plan one in an established area. Especially if it comes with a bit of land to play with.

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Though I voted for the “old, tired, rehab property”, I totally understand that different people with different needs, risks, ages, etc will have a different vote. Katarina commented well on that – i.e. “What kind of investment are you after?” etc.

And then TaylorChang made a sage comment with this :- “I often found some people paying too much for the old and tired property in comparison with existing recently renovated property.”

Certainly our emotions can lead us to make choices we wouldn’t have made in a calmer state of mind !!! One to watch? One to consider when a marketer is pushing you sign to buy THEIR OTP property NOW !!

I too am finding the results and the comments interesting !! :)

Benny

Profile photo of #Planning Permit#Planning Permit
    Participant
    @planning

Results as expected. Great Poll Sir!

#Planning Permit | AuArchitecture
    http://www.auarchitecture.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Property Subdivision expert with 250 planning permits approved by Melbourne Councils

Profile photo of PaulPaul
    Participant
    @polony

DEPENDS ON THE INVESTOR.

I voted for “An existing, but recently renovated property”. In 2015 enough people have seen renovation shows that the extra cost of buying a renovated property can be less than the cost of buying an unrenovated property then improving it, particular once you consider the risk of breaking something.

For me, I can do any analysis in Excel, but I have the aesthetic skills of an accountant and my practical “skills” may devalue a property. I’d rather let somebody else take these risks.

Profile photo of Tracey SeghabiTracey Seghabi
    Participant
    @traseg01

Old & Tired !! So much more design potential and so much more fun !

Profile photo of Ameen Al QudsiAmeen Al Qudsi
    Participant
    @nwmea

I would select all of them, you must have an option for that as each of the option has their own value and priority to invest for better ROI in future.

Ameen Al Qudsi | Nationwide Midddle East Properties
    http://www.nwmea.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Ameen Al QudsiAmeen Al Qudsi
    Participant
    @nwmea

Well, i voted for the ist option and came out to be the least opinionated but it works well in my country, more national and international end users and investors are more seems interested in such chosen option because of the better return.

Ameen Al Qudsi | Nationwide Midddle East Properties
    http://www.nwmea.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Third will likely have the highest yield + capital gain potential from a renovation. Fairly easy if you tie this into a reno-reval strategy.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of MTRMTR
    Participant
    @marisa

I wish you had a property with development potential, as you don’t voted no. 3

Profile photo of jmnes12jmnes12
    Participant
    @jmnes12

Established property with potential for manufacturing capital growth through strata titling, sub-dividing and renovating is your best bet. Take it from someone who bought 4 brand new properties in 3 years and wish they hadn’t!

Profile photo of YllenkYllenk
    Participant
    @jamesknell

It seems that majority of people are of the opinion that an old tired property in need of a renovation is the best investment – however a minority are looking to buy renovated properties. So why buy a property, renovate it and then sell it, if no investors are looking for renovated properties? Based off this poll, it would appear that you would be smarter to hold onto the old tired property and do nothing to improve it and hence making it appealing for investors.

Profile photo of KingKing
    Participant
    @jaydenwalter

Hi Yllenk

It seems that majority of people are of the opinion that an old tired property in need of a renovation is the best investment – however a minority are looking to buy renovated properties. So why buy a property, renovate it and then sell it, if no investors are looking for renovated properties? Based off this poll, it would appear that you would be smarter to hold onto the old tired property and do nothing to improve it and hence making it appealing for investors.

That’s true, but why would you need to sell to other property investors? I don’t know the statistics but I would expect the number of people buying a property that have no intention of further investment would far outweigh the property investors of the world.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.