All Topics / Help Needed! / Builders obligation to provide price breakdown…..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of darkness72darkness72
    Participant
    @darkness72

If I have had a major renovation done to a rental property.
    And I request from the builder for a breakdown cost of certain items – ie oven, dishwasher, stovetop etc for (tax purposes)
    My Q. Should the builder provide this to me, or is it reasonable that they just tell me to get a depreciation company to determine that for me, “as they don’t provide cost breakdowns”. – unnecessary costs :(

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi darkness,
    I wouldn’t be too stressed, and would just go get a depreciation schedule anyway. As I recall, a QS will cover a lot more ground than a builder will anyway, and usually come up with a far more complete list of depreciable items. e.g. the builder might provide the cost of a stove, but he won’t be including the cost of the electrician to install it, etc. A QS would add in all of these “hidden costs” to the stove’s value.

Where a major build or renovation has occurred, I would always look to a QS for a new list (and have them remind me that all old items should be written off). A builder “might” be able to handle a really small job where just one or two items are changed…. but it is not his forte.
    Benny

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.