All Topics / Help Needed! / Transfer of apartment at no cost.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of propman1propman1
    Participant
    @propman1

I am looking for advice from some of the more experienced property guys here.

My elderly mother has left me an investment apartment (currently in her name) in her will.

However she has now decided that she would rather transfer it to me now rather than when she finally leaves this world.

What are the legal and tax implications of this decision?

I THINK ?? that I will be up for stamp duty on the current market value of the apartment (if it is transferred to me now), but if I am not paying her anything for the apartment, what price do I need put on the transfer documents.

Also, if she is not selling it to me, are there gift tax issues?

Also is there anything else I need to be aware of??

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Heaps of issues. You should both see separate lawyers.

Gifts of real property attract stamp duty (unless via a will). If you will be renting it out there are tax issues. It might be better for you to buy off her at full market value, borrowing to do so, and she can gift you the cash.

Social security issues if she is on the pension. Deeming provisions means she will be assessed on any gift for 5 years – as if she still owned the item and was receiving income from it.

heaps of other legal issues – undue influence etc.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of propman1propman1
    Participant
    @propman1

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your reply.
    1. The property is in Queensland, so it will be under Qld stamp duty rules.
    2. The property is worth around $800k. If she gifts me $800k to buy the property, what are the tax implications for the cash loan?
    3. There are no social security issues. She is not entitled to the pension or anything.
    4. How do I establish no undue influence. If she goes to her own solicitor (on her own, with no one else with her) is that satisfactory?
    5. The tax issues of me renting it later is not an issue for me.

6. “It might be better for you to buy off her at full market value, borrowing to do so, and she can gift you the cash.” Why do you say that??

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of propman1 propman1.
    Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi propman

While you mother might prefer to transfer the property to you now, would she have the same feelings about it if she realized the high cost of stamp duty (to you), and capital gains tax implications (to her) in doing so ?

Just because someone “can” do something doesn’t necessarily mean they “should”.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @propman1

Hello Jacqui,

Are you saying that if we wait until she passes on through the Pearly Gates, then there are no Capital Gains payable and no Stamp Duties payable on the property?
    If payments are required, what is payable?
    PS The property was bought for about $550k about 10 years ago

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of propman1 propman1.
    Participant
    @terryw

There is no stamp duty or CGT on transfer to a beneficiary under a will or intestacy laws.

There are also many other advantages to passing via a will.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your reply.
    2. The property is worth around $800k. If she gifts me $800k to buy the property, what are the tax implications for the cash loan?
    3. There are no social security issues. She is not entitled to the pension or anything.
    4. How do I establish no undue influence. If she goes to her own solicitor (on her own, with no one else with her) is that satisfactory?

6. “It might be better for you to buy off her at full market value, borrowing to do so, and she can gift you the cash.” Why do you say that??

1. ok
    2. loan? loans generally attract interest. Interest received is income. If it is a gift then it is not a loan. No taxes on gifts.
    3. ok
    4. that is a start, Many other legal issues to consider
    5. it could be an issue many years from now. circumstances chage
    6. asset protection for 1 thing

You really should get some legal advice as there is a lot you don’t know you don’t know.

Email Me

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

There is no stamp duty or CGT on transfer to a beneficiary under a will or intestacy laws.

I’m glad that we’ve been able to point out the tax advantages as Terry has described above. I think if you and your mum sat down and worked out the CGT and stamp duty that would be payble you’d get quite a shock.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @propman1

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your reply.

1. ok
    2. loan? loans generally attract interest. Interest received is income. If it is a gift then it is not a loan. No taxes on gifts.
    3. ok
    4. that is a start, Many other legal issues to consider
    5. it could be an issue many years from now. circumstances chage
    6. asset protection for 1 thing

You really should get some legal advice as there is a lot you don’t know you don’t know.

<i class=”rw-ui-like-icon”></i>0<i class=”rw-ui-dislike-icon”></i>0

<i style=”border-right-color: rgba(153, 153, 153, 0.5);” class=”rw-ui-info-nub rw-ui-info-outer-nub”></i><i style=”border-right-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);” class=”rw-ui-info-nub rw-ui-info-inner-nub”></i>Rate this

Hello Terry,

Thanks for your detailed reply.
    Re your answer above, I just need a bit more clarification:

2. Sorry. I made an error referring to it as a “cash loan”. It should have read as “cash gift”

4. What other legal issues are you referring to?

5. I assume that you are thinking along the lines of the tax on the income from the apartment. Am I correct?

6. “Asset protection” from whom?

I am considering getting some more legal advice on this matter. This thread was for the purpose of learning enough of the basics so as not to look too foolish with my initial meetings/discussions with a solicitor.

I am actually looking for a solicitor to establish a family trust as well. After looking at this Forum over the last couple of days, I have been very impressed with your replies (not just in this thread , but in many other threads) so expect a call from me later in the week in this regard.

Participant
    @terryw

You should seek legal advice as there are many issues

4. asset protection, estate planning, succession, bankruptcy, divorce, taxation
    5. income tax from rent and/or capital gains tax
    6. future creditors of yourself/your mum. other family members. spouses.

Email Me

Profile photo of PetePete
    Participant
    @pjewitt

I know the laws in each state may be different (I’m in South Australia), but speaking from my own experience when my mother passed away and one of my siblings contested the estate, giving away an asset to a beneficiary before you die is the only way to make that gift “set in concrete”. Who’s left what in a will can be disregarded by a judge if a legitimate party contests the will. My barrister explained that the only way to make your will “iron-clad”, as in the beneficiaries get what the deceased wants them to, is to give your assets away before you die, while retaining a “vested life interest” in the assets.

So for example, if an elderly parent gives the family home to one particular child before they die, said child can’t turf the parent out before their death because even though the child would technically own the property, the parent has retained a “vested life interest”.

Other than this reason, I can’t see any advantage to either party for giving away an asset before death.

Participant
    @terryw

Pete – good points but you have mixed a few things up. Gifts can be attacked even if they are made before death. This is especially the case with elderly. There are many ways to attack such a gift under the laws of equity. There is also the NSW law of notional estate orders under the Family Provision section of the Succession act. Any undermarket value transfer could be attacked if the transfer occured within 3 years of death. NSW law can apply to people living in other states if they have a connection to NSW.

A gift also doesn’t necesarily mean a life interest. These are 2 separate things. A person can give another person a right to reside in a property until their death (life interest), but they are not directly connected (to the gifting).

Nothing much is iron clad unless you sell the property and spend the money.

Email Me

Profile photo of PetePete
    Participant
    @pjewitt

Pete – good points but you have mixed a few things up. Gifts can be attacked even if they are made before death. This is especially the case with elderly. There are many ways to attack such a gift under the laws of equity. There is also the NSW law of notional estate orders under the Family Provision section of the Succession act. Any undermarket value transfer could be attacked if the transfer occured within 3 years of death. NSW law can apply to people living in other states if they have a connection to NSW.

A gift also doesn’t necesarily mean a life interest. These are 2 separate things. A person can give another person a right to reside in a property until their death (life interest), but they are not directly connected (to the gifting).

Nothing much is iron clad unless you sell the property and spend the money.

<i class=”rw-ui-like-icon”></i>0<i class=”rw-ui-dislike-icon”></i>0

<i class=”rw-ui-info-nub rw-ui-info-outer-nub” style=”border-right-color: rgba(153, 153, 153, 0.498039);”></i><i class=”rw-ui-info-nub rw-ui-info-inner-nub” style=”border-right-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);”></i>Rate this

Thanks for the insight on that Terrryw. My barrister didn’t go into any great detail about giving away assets pre-death, given that my mother was already deceased it was pointless, but you’ve given me food for thought regarding the issues likely to arise when my father and stepmother pass on. You can’t pick your family as they say!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.