All Topics / Finance / Can you switch from commercial mortgage to residential loan?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of joshbbassettjoshbbassett
    Participant
    @joshbbassett

Hi everyone,
    We own an old block of 5 flats that we had to purchase under a commercial loan because of the number of units. There are two x 1 bedroom units and 3 x 2 bedroom units. The two one bedroom units have a door between them, so we are thinking of joining them together to make the flats have 4 x two bedroom units. There is a communal laundry at the moment but we are going to put an internal laundry in each unit as apparently the communal laundry was another factor that made the loan have to be commercial. Reducing the number of units may cause a slight drop in rental income each week but will increase the standard of tenant too.
    My question is can we refinance our loan from a commercial loan to a residential loan? We want to take advantage of the much lower interest rates and fees and will make the property easier to sell if we need to after we complete our renovations.
    Has anyone had experience doing this or any advice?
    Cheers.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Take a step back. Your objectives should always be to maximise both the rental return of the site as a whole, and also the resale value of the site as a whole. I could be wrong, there might be something unique about the market in this particular suburb of yours, but generally I would expect that joining two one bedders to make a two bedder, would reduce both the rental yield and the site value. Take a really close look at what one bedders rent and sell for in your area, compared to two bedders. Do this exercise for both renovated and unrenovated properties.

While having less dwellings might make you eligible for a resi loan, it might hurt you more to be going down this path.

If the units were on separate titles, then each unit could have its own loan on resi rates. The site value would likely be higher because you could, conceptually, sell the units individually rather than as a package deal, which brings owner occupier buyers into the equation. The council would likely hit you with overall more council rates because they would revalue the site after subdivision and announce it is worth more and thus more rates are payable. If you are not already being hit for separate council rates per dwelling then you certainly would be after subdivision. Then there would be the matter of insurance which would also have to change.

If your objective is to renovate and sell relatively soon, then perhaps step 1 should be strata titling, with a rejig of the mortgage and insurance bundled into the mix. You could renovate after all that is done.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Short answer is yes it may be possible.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of joshbbassettjoshbbassett
    Participant
    @joshbbassett

Hi Jacqui,
    Thanks for the advice, the units are all on one title at the moment, we were just looking into whether this was feasible as the small amount in extra rent we are getting is being eaten up in the higher interest rates and fees with the commercial loan. We are probably not going to sell, we would like to hold them as they make good rent and have future development potential, but if it was a residential loan and we did for unforeseen circumstances need to sell, I think it would be much easier to get rid of?
    As Terryw said it is possible to do, I guess I will just have to do some more research into whether it is the best thing to do though.
    Thanks for the responses.
    Cheers.

Participant
    @jacm

Hi Josh

Only investors will buy an entire block of units from you, irrespective of the loan type (an owner occupier will not seek to buy a whole block of units as their PPOR).

Something to keep in mind is that if YOU qualify for a certain type of loan, it doesn’t automatically mean that a prospective buyer would qualify for the same loan. However the more loan types the property itself is “in theory, eligible for, subject to the financials and serviceability of the borrower” then the easier it becomes to offload a property should you need to.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

If you’re reducing to 4 on 1 title can certainly get it refinanced as a residential loan, we put quite a few of these through each year.

Jacqui has touched on an important consideration in that you carefully make sure the end result will be a better investment.

Good luck!

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Participant
    @joshbbassett

We would ideally like to do a small reno and increase rents and hold on to the property for a number of years while the tenants pay down the loan. The units are very old so we will not be spending much, just a quick cosmetic makeover on each one. We will eventually knock the old fibro building down and develop the property.
    I spoke to Westpac and they said anything more than three units, they go a commercial loan. It is good to know it can be done, thanks Corey. I will just have to do the sums to see which scenario is financially better.
    Thanks for all the feed back.
    Cheers.

Profile photo of PimobpiPimobpi
    Participant
    @pimobpi

Hi Josh,

I am guessing that Westpac would treat each customer differently, my findings were that Westpac will make a Commercial loan compulsory for 3 or more units (ie: Only 1 or 2 units are in the Westpac Residential space).

I may have misunderstood you but it sounds like you were under the impression that Westpac will be OK with a Residential loan for all 3 units.

I found that only one of the big 4 banks did Residential loans for 3 or less units (Commercial loans for 4 or more) – that was NAB. I am not endorsing any banks in particular, just telling you what I think to be the case.
    Best that you have some initial consultations directly with a broker as they will have up to date information for you & 4 banks are hardly an exhaustive list of the institutions that would set up loans. Some brokers have already replied to this post.

Also, it is great that you are thinking about how to improve your property position – I think that is key. Whether you move towards having 5 or 4 units will depend on the outcome of the numbers that you crunch & whether it gets you towards your goals. My advice would be to keep available as much buffer as possible (as an insurance, in the event that you may need it). Commercial loans do have their use – your circumstances have probably changed during the years – you have outgrown your loan and see a better possibility by utilizing a tweak. Welcome to property development – it’s never static, more like an evolution.

I hope this helps you.
    Cheers & good luck.

Participant
    @jacm

We will eventually knock the old fibro building down and develop the property.

Note while there is a mortgage over it I hope (at least not without first discussing with your mortgagee. You’d be in break of your mortgage agreement if you suddenly demolished the building that made the security the bank holds worth less (even if only for a little while till you construct again). Tread with caution on this point.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Sorry Josh you are much mistaken as NAB certainly won’t look at a residential loan on 4 units.

There is 1 lender I am aware of that will look at 5 units on a residential basis subject to location of the block but in saying that a Commercial loan can often be charged at the same rate as a standard variable rate loan.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of PimobpiPimobpi
    Participant
    @pimobpi

Hi Richard,

I don’t think that Josh believes that NAB will do a Residential Loan for 4 units – He may have thought that Westpac setup Residential loans for 3 units – My reply was to point out that NAB will go Residential lending for 3 units or less whereas the other major 4 banks cap their Residential lending to 2 or less dwellings per development. (I guess that there may be preferential treatment for some valued customers).

I think that I confused you. :)

I didn’t know that Commercial loans could often be charged the same rate as a standard variable rate loan – that is good to know.

Advice that I want give Josh is not to be too caught up in just the interest rate anyway (even though it is a very important factor)…but it’s just one important factor to access in the whole scheme of things. I think that the right loan product may sometimes have a higher interest rate or have something else that could be perceived by some as being negative, however the right product would fulfill 90% of the other important criterion that the customer needs.

I am really hoping that you agree with my last statement, if not then I’ll have to hit the books some more as your opinions are mostly correct.

Cheers.
    Pimobpi.

Participant
    @joshbbassett

@jaqui – yeah definitely won’t just knock the building down without talking to our bank, just thinking out loud about long term plan. Cheers.

@pimobpi and Richard – thanks for the advice. Yeah I spoke to a person in the Westpac branch and she had me on the phone to a commercial loan officer (?) and they told me that they would not lend resi on anything more than 3. But even if it is 3 or two, that wouldn’t help us anyway if I go down that path as we wouldn’t want to lose anymore than the one unit (if we even want to do that). I know there is more out there than just the big 4 and will definitely speak to a broker if we decide to try and get a resi loan.

Thanks again for he feedback.

Profile photo of Tracey BTracey B
    Participant
    @tracey-b

Why do you want to change to a residential loan? We have a commercial loan with ANZ for our unit block (due to density even though they’re already strata-titled) but the interest rate/fees we are paying are comparable to a residential loan.

As others have said – keep your end goal in sight and always check the total cost per annum for the loan as it’s not just about the interest rate.

Participant
    @joshbbassett

Hi Tracy,
    That is why I was looking into whether it was worth switching to a residential loan, because the annual fees we are paying and the interest rate is higher for the commercial loan than any of the other residential loans we have at the moment.
    Cheers.

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

Another consideration is that switching to resi finance can potentially give you a higher maximum LVR on the property – should you want to draw from the equity in the future.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Corey Batt Corey Batt.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Participant
    @joshbbassett

Hi Corey, yeah that is something that I have thought about. Because it was a commercial loan we had to put in a much larger deposit, taking funds away from reno’s and other things.
    Thanks for the input.
    Thanks.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.