All Topics / Help Needed! / buying first IP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of ChrisChris
    Participant
    @chrisdegraaf

hey guys,
    So i am currently living in my house and looking to get an IP. i work in mining so my wage is about 180k.
    i have about 50- 70 equity on my house and 10 K offsetting it.
    Ideally i want to minimize my cash investment on the next house so i have looked into the idea of cross-collatorisation.
    This method however does not get much love from what ive read about it. Should i be looking at getting instead a separate high LvR loan to keep the loans segregated?
    or perhaps there is something i am missing..
    any thoughts?

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Chris,

Ideally i want to minimize my cash investment on the next house

i.e. borrow against the equity in your PPOR – sure, no problem if the Equity is available to do so.

…so i have looked into the idea of cross-collatorisation.

No need to do that – and you really don’t want to go there (mostly). There is a lot to consider, and a Property savvy Financial Planner or a good Mortgage Broker are the ones to guide you through this quicksand. One or two of them may well pop in with a reply too – look out for them.

You mention you have “$50k to $70k Equity on your house” – I can tell you now, we really need to know “What is its value” and “How much is still owed on it”. See, if you say your house is worth $400k and owe $350k on it, you have $50k equity – but you can’t borrow it all usually. Maximum loan is likely to be 95% (or $380k) so only $30k available to you, not $50k.

That kind of thing is where a Mortgage Broker earns their money – they come up with the “best option for YOU” based on your current fnancial position. They also can advise re cross-coll (whether to, or not, and why).

With your kind of wage, any tiny problem you might have will likely disappear quickly because of your very useful wage. Good one,
    Benny

Profile photo of BuyersAgentBuyersAgent
    Participant
    @knightm

I have seen Jamie Moore fix this problem for a number of people he is good with strategy and can set up the right loans.

BuyersAgent | Precium
    http://www.precium.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

South Coast NSW Independent Buyers Agent - Wollongong to Batemans Bay and Regional NSW. DOWNLOAD OUR FREE 14 POINT PROPERTY BUYER'S CHEATSHEET to avoid painful mistakes at precium.com.au

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Thanks for the kind words Matt :-)

Chris – I’ve replied to your PM.

Cross coll can cause issues – and there’s no reason why your purchase needs to be set up in such a way. Unfortunately – some brokers/bankers just don’t know any better.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.