All Topics / Help Needed! / Invest in Brisbane properties …need help with local QLDerrrrr

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of Coogee126Coogee126
    Participant
    @coogee126

hi guys

I m started to getting to know the market in Brisbane.. have never invested outside sydney . now I lay my eyes on the lovely sunshine capital.

I was looking at the train map and come up with a few suburbs.. dont ask me why and how.. sometimes it just come up in my head like a pop up.

they are Nundah , Wynuum and Woodridge ?
    i refer nundah as ‘surry hills’ and Wynuum as maybe ‘Maroubra” ? lol… Woodridge is a cashflow sweetheart , like say ” punchbowl” .. ?

I m looking at within 10-15 km within the Brisbane CBD.. and / or 20-25 km if the yield is good.

do you have any reccomendations as a local ? is my current pick good one or not ?

love to hear from you.

Bangers
    Participant
    @bangers01

Nundah, Wynnum and Woodridge?

You almost couldn’t get a more different trio if you tried.

A good place to start is trawling the forums, search Brisbane and read every post.

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Coogee,
    Probably more important than “which suburb?” is your answer to “What kind of purchase leads me toward my goals?” e.g. Are you wanting to build positive cashflow, or are you looking for a different outcome?

“Set and forget” by buying in a +ve cashflow area (like Woodridge or many other outer burbs)
    “Reno and bump rent” to bring your purchase near cash neutral, with a more likely equity growth advantage. (Any suburb)
    “Go for Equity” and don’t worry if negative geared (your other IP’s might be funding an Equity “giant”?). Inner suburbs better?

But first, let us know what your situation needs at this time.

Benny

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

So much infrastructure being constructed around Springfield. Spoke to a valuer in Camira yesterday who told me it’s enjoyed CG of 5% last 6 months. Worth a look.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of WojtekWojtek
    Participant
    @wojtek

Before you buy, check out the demographic. Go with Nundah.

Profile photo of Coogee126Coogee126
    Participant
    @coogee126

yes… i think so.. nundah seems a good inner subs with lot of young professionals..

i m going to brizzi next weekend.. to go through the subs i m interested at..

i was thinking buy a few in nundun and pair up with woodridge ones to neutralise the cashflow . geez wont that be a marriage in heaven?

thanks for all your input buddies… .. brizzi.. here I come !

Profile photo of Melb InvesterMelb Invester
    Participant
    @melbinvester1

HI,

Why did you find this side of QLD? what about

Moorooka/Yeerongpilly/Mt Gravatt & Mt Gravatt East?

i’m also looking and want to know the best CG areas ?

Property Cycle Clock – Where are we right now in QLD?

MI

Bangers
    Participant
    @bangers01

MI,

Mount Gravatt East has done well in the last two years. I live here (until tomorrow), and think its a great spot. 9km to the CBD, easy access to two huge shopping complexes (Garden City, Upper Mt Gravatt and Carindale), easy access to the Gateway to the Airport and Sunshine Coast, as well as access to the South East Freeway to the Gold Coast or the City. There has been a huge amount of development of little boutique apartment/townhouse complexes in the higher density parts closer to Logan Road. Mount Gravatt East toward Carindale is cheaper and has more housing commission homes. It’s hard to know what will happen to this pocket, but I think will become more appealing with time. Some of these old homes are being replaced with higher density commission complexes however.

I think the area will outgrow even adjacent Holland Park West. Mount Gravatt Central has some good restaurants, the Showgrounds have Farmers markets on a Sunday etc…

Moorooka you have to know – some good pockets, some areas near main roads you wouldn’t touch.

Bangers
    Participant
    @bangers01

As to the clock – volume falling, high demand, some increases in price… 7-8 o’clock for houses, at least. Units are about to have an influx of supply.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Woodridge & Nundah wow talk about the devil and the deep blue sea, wouldn’t touch either of them for a number of reasons.

Whatever benny says you will not be buying in Woodridge and keeping it as a set and forget IP.

Nundah has oversupply of units (Trust me i have done enough developments in the suburb including the old Bowls club) and there is far better buying in the Inner West.

I think Bangers is about right with his 7/8 O’çlock scenario but trust me the demand is incredible and sometimes for the right property hard to keep up.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Coogee126Coogee126
    Participant
    @coogee126

hi guys.
    thanks for the tips..

@melbourninvester, for me, what i do is to pull up a Brisbane train map , and circle the inner city subs that was on the train map ( basically the circle within the diameter shorter than half of my little figners size, lol) , the highlight a few major station, up / down/left/right, and go to the details of that suburb on demographics, income levels etc.. rent/ownership ratio etc.. then take a pick.. then I pull out my calculator calculated the BTCF and ATCF ( Befor tax CF and After Tax CF ) and figure out the gain/loss per week based on median price /rent.. then decide, I dont mind ATCF slightly neg ( say less than 30 pw, but i dont like a big neg on ATCF weekly) .
    for further away subs, i make sure it’s BTCF neutal or postive.

I know it’s probably against some investment rule that you dont invest for tax purpose, but because we pay a lot of tax and are PAYG, so in my situation specifically, i have to address that and take that into consideration when select my invesments. afterall, i want to use taxman to help me lift up some burdens of my cashflow, there are some tools you can use free or payable, that can help with this process. i use RP data and Real estate investar.

again, I dont knw brisbane at all, the only time i went there was few years ago in a suburb called toowong to attend a firend’s wedding. i only stayed 1 night . i felt it s a modern suburbs with lots of nice shops and restrauant .. the truth is if you are not from that city, you will never know the city that well .. so that’s why i m going to pay a visit to Brisbane and see for myself.. drive around, see the retails shops/ coffee shops.. people lived there, what they look like, how they dressed etc.. those are a better barameters in my view.
    there is always a risk in anything you do in terms of investing, but if you are capable of holidng things for longer term and the cashflow per week situation is not too exhausting in any ways, i think that itself has smoothes out the risk. I dont normally adopt the clock theory, because i think it’s extremely hard to know and to get it right. I look at the deal itself and CF for that deal with a little of gut feeling. ( to put simply term, if CF is slight bad, but growth is ok long term, i buy. if CF is good, growth is not so sure, but it wont hurt my pocket i buy. if CF is bad, growth is not so sure, i walk away. if CF is too bad, growth is good , i walk away as well)

it doesnt matter where we are in the market.. cos you are holding for a longer term, so the key here whether you can still around in teh bad times.. if you cant. you have to forced to sell, that’s when you shed blood. otherwise, you play the wait game and live your life as normal. I know people always wait for the price to drop, but it never happens. by the time they can afford the deposit finally, the priced moved again. and when the prices drops.. they got scared and dont want to get into this as no one else buying.

@richard taylor, I had my morning coffee in a coffee shop before heading to work, and saw your post, it took me 10 minutes to realised that there is no suburbs called Bangers in QLD.. lol.. thought that was funny thing to have a laugh..
    btw, can you share why you think Woodridge is a no no ? is this a similar subs than the crime town or full of people on the dole ?

Profile photo of Melb InvesterMelb Invester
    Participant
    @melbinvester1

there is far better buying in the Inner West.

HI Richard,

With “there is far better buying in the Inner West.” your quote can you list few suburbs to check?

MI

Profile photo of westnbluewestnblue
    Participant
    @westnblue

Pretty much any houses around low $200k will do well in next 18months.

Im buying anything in that price range without too much consideration for equity growth as it will be automatic for the short term.

South : Limit beenliegh
    North: Limit Caboolture
    East: anywhere (except eastern islands)
    West: Limit Carol park

Bangers
    Participant
    @bangers01

@richard taylor, I had my morning coffee in a coffee shop before heading to work, and saw your post, it took me 10 minutes to realised that there is no suburbs called Bangers in QLD.. lol.. thought that was funny thing to have a laugh..

I’m doing my best to change this. One house at a time. ;)

Profile photo of RickRick
    Participant
    @rixter

Hi Coogee 126,

Quite a few of our properties have doubled/tripled in value over the course of a decade.. Rents on those have doubled & some close to tripled also.

I believe we have attained that growth because early on in our investment journey we decided to target / purchase in areas that had recently been approved for or were in the planning stages for gentrification.

We looked for the following 4 flag sectors injecting money. –

Government, Commercial, Retail & Private sectors

We discovered this ultimately uplifted & beautified the area resulting in people’s attraction thus moving in and creating demand.

We have found this to work very well if you are looking for short to medium term capital growth so as to leverage against and build your portfolio faster.

Typically these are some of the signs we looked for where sectors were injecting money –

A/ Local/State/Federal Government. ie Major arterial roads, Govt Depts locating to area, Street Scrapping, New Public Transport, Recreational facilities, Hospitals/Medical facilities, Suburb Redevelopment Authorities being formed. etc

B/ Big Multi National Retail & Commercial type companies. ie Major Shopping Centres, McDonalds Hungry Jacks, KFC, Bunnings, Harvey Normans, Good Guys, etc. These companies spend $Millions on market research before going into and setting up shop in an area. If there was no current or immediate future demand for their products and services they would not be moving in, so leverage off the back of their research.

Sources for information as part of your due diligence – You can check out all the federal/state/local government planning & development websites at this one convenient link ( http://www.oultwood.com/public/country.php?country=australia&scrwidth=1440 ).

Other sources I use to gather info are from all the various big multi-national company websites, local newspapers, community news, local businesses, and people in the area…..general networking etc.

C/ Private People/Investors. ie Owner occupiers and Investors bowling over old houses then rebuilding new modern homes and redeveloping town houses / villas.

Get out and about. Jump in your car and drive around the area. Better still is once you’re in your prospective area hit the streets by foot. You will see so much more on foot than by driving.

I hope this provides some food for thought.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of Rick Rick. Reason: typo
    • This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of Rick Rick.

Rick | My Property Investing Tools
    http://mypropertyinvestingtools.com
    Email Me

FREE Download >> Click my website for the Tools I used to Build a Multi-$Million Portfolio & Retire.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.