All Topics / Help Needed! / Current Situation – Would like advice

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of scottyboy8289scottyboy8289
    Participant
    @scottyboy8289

Hi Guys

Just wanting to give some information to the forum in the hope that anyone can share similar experiences, thoughts, opinions and general advice about my current situation and what they would do in my shoes.

Live in NSW
    Household Income – 115k

Currently renting (our share) $350pw – split from $700 between two couples.

Current Savings- $13,000
    Current Debt – $30,000 – unsec. personal loan
    Monthly Misc. outgoings – Approx. $1,200 per month
    Loan Repayments – $1000.00 per month
    Current savings – $1500.00 per month

I am waiting to hear back from management at work about a pending promotion which may increase my pay by about 10-20k + larger bonus.

After my partner has our baby she plans to only return to work 3 days a week for 2 years – therefore decreasing income by 15- 20k and borrowing power.

Now…..the tricky part, we were on track to purchase a property with 5% deposit within approx. 6 months’ time however we have recently won a new car worth $50,000 if we were to sell today.

My partner wants to keep it and i really would like to keep it but also want to look out for our future and set us up financially.

If we keep it, we would sell our old car – and have 20k of savings and could get 15k (FHOG) = 35k for new house or 20k for IP.
    If we sell it, we could have 50k + 13k + 15k (FHOG) = 78k for purchasing a new property or IP (potentially unlocking equity for 2nd property)
    If we sell it, we could pay debt off of 30k leaving remaining 20k + 13k + 15k(FHOG) = 48k for new house or 33k for IP.

Obviously selling it is the smartest thing to do for our future but also upsetting if we were to let go of the prize we won that is very enjoyable – Also if i believe selling is the best idea i have to convince my partner as she is technically the owner of said prize.

Your thoughts, opinions and advice are more than welcome even if it’s not what I want to hear. 
    Cheers
    Scotty

• This topic was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of scottyboy8289 scottyboy8289.
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of scottyboy8289 scottyboy8289.
    Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Hi, Congrats on the bub and the new car.

The $30,000 loan will also restrict your borrowing power. I’m assuming it’s high interest. Get rid of it.

OK the car- yes a new car is nice but will it do anything the old one won’t? In the end it come down to what you want more financial security or a nice car. To me “things” don’t give me as much enjoyment as being financially free to travel, spend time with my family etc. What are your priorities? Especially given the fact that you are having a baby soon.

When I was young I had the opportunity to buy my first house but I had no deposit. I sold my 6 month old car (I cried for weeks) and that was my deposit. I drove a bomb for the next 4 years but I had a house. House prices doubled within 5 years and I never would have been able to get my first home.

BTW $20K won’t buy you a house. And you only get the FHOG on new houses. You really need the money from that car. $13K will be mostly gone on the stamp duty and solicitor etc.

What price houses are you looking at? And what area? There has been a lot of growth in the last few years. You may be wise to wait until the hype dies down.
    You also need to crunch some numbers to see whether you are better off weekly staying where you are (is that possible with the baby?) and getting an IP. It depends where you want to live VS where you want to invest. It’s cheaper to rent than buy in expensive suburbs, then buy an IP with high yield to offset your rent.
    Lots to consider. Post again with your thoughts.

Profile photo of scottyboy8289scottyboy8289
    Participant
    @scottyboy8289

Thanks and agree totally,

My priority is to be financially free, debt free, retire early but continue to work on my own accord / my currently goal is to push my career to its limits and try become Snr Manager/ VP / President / CEO of the company i work for or another.
    My Partners priorty is to be a mum, a wife and the whole white picket fence ideal – she tends to leave the finance’s up to me as i have the mind for it.

About the Car – we were considering selling our car (5k) anyway as its not practical for a baby being a small hatchback and upgrading to a larger under 10k – but we would probably not have gone through with it and just made do.

With the debt, we are slowly chipping away at it and I’ve alway had the debate in my head to either keep doing what we’re doing and save and pay off debt at the rate i am or to just smash the debt – downside to that is that it would take 1 year to knock off the debt then another year or two to save a 5% deposit and also the high interest…. either way the debt sucks.

What prices I’m looking at and where….it all depends on affordability and borrowing i guess.
    If investment, due to low deposit i would have started to look at Mt Druitt, Campbelltown type areas or would look towards affordable 1/2 br. units – alternatively i’d look at Brisbane or Melbourne.
    If living in it, it’s more so proximity to work that I’d be looking at – so in and around the Bankstown Airport area.
    If i was to live in it, i would only do so for the time it takes to be eligible for FHOG and get the CGT benefits (if any) then turn it into IP.

I’m renting in South West Sydney – 8 minutes from work, it’s a brand new house which we split rent with my sister and brother in law.
    If i bought new, I’d try get a similar type property to cater for my sister & family plus my family and that way my sister can chip away at my home loan :)

Im aware 20k wont buy us a house, well… i know it would suffice a 5% deposit for a 400k property ….but then i need all the other payments for stamp duty etc.. unless its brand new and receive the 15k off the stamp duty then need to cover other costs – i have about 5k owed to me by family members who i can cash in on.

Appreciate the time you have taken to comment.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of scottyboy8289 scottyboy8289.
    Profile photo of RichardRichard
    Participant
    @richardppiadvice-com-au

I think you already know the right move Scottyboy,

For your first investment I would opt for something with a land component, with low holding costs, close to neutral as possible. Preferably with a value add option to employ when you’re ready to engage it. Brisbane is more likely to offer this option within your price point as the yield is much higher than Melb & Syd.

I can imagine the excitement of a flash new car, but long term it will definitely be worth less, where as a property has good prospects for growing in value.

In five years time, you’ll be pretty pleased with yourself for making the right decision, and your bank balance will be thanking you too!

Richard | PPI Investment Advice
    http://ppiinvestmentadvice.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Licensed Property Financial Advisors providing tailored property advice and solutions!

Profile photo of DaOneDaOne
    Participant
    @daone

@scottyboy

You and your wife are the only people that can decide on the car.

When you are trying to decide between an Owner Occupied property or a Investment property the fundamental are the similar, but do have some differences. With an Investment property do not get sucked into just Higher rents. Do your homework expected capital growth, look for property that litte niches that can help you increase value or rent in first few years after you have purchased the property.

DaOne | Oras Finance - Your Local Mortgage Broker
    http://www.ihomeloans.net.au/
    Email Me

Help you make your dreams come true: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3KpKX4UsI

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

WOW, thats a great prize. Bugger about the $30,000 debt, thats the elephant in the room. While you are wasting $1000 per month on interest and only saving $1500 per month your not getting ahead.

If I was you I would sell the new car ASAP and don’t buy another car until you have bought a house or an investment property. If you do buy another car, pay cash for it.

As far as your question should I Purchase a Principal Place of Residence or Invest First?

The age old question: “Should I buy a principal place of residence first and invest later or should I invest in property first, rent and buy later?”

In order to make some sense of this question we will conduct a comparison on the following basis:
    1. Analysis conducted over a 10 year period.
    2. Capital Growth for both Investing and the Principal Place of Residence is calculated at 5% p.a.
    3. The income of the purchaser is $80,000 per annum
    4. The purchser has $130,000 in cash savings for the transactions
    5. The base cost of the Principal place of residence and the investment properties is $420,000 in year 1, then increasing by 5% p.a. (compounding) each year after that).
    6. Rental Income is 5.2% of the portfolio value (gross)
    7. The maximum loan to value Ratio across the portfolio is 80%
    8. Interest Rate of 5% p.a. on all loans taken out for PPOR and Investment loans
    9. Purchaser has a goal of achieving $1,500 per week income from their portfolio in 10 years (after all expenses and tax are taken into account)
    10. Cashflows in each scenario include expenses for either rent or mortgage interest repayments and household expenses (rates and maintenance)

Example:

Scenario 1 – Buying PPOR and then Investing
    Purchase Years
    Purchase Year – Purchase Price – Number of Props Purchased – Type Of Purchase
    1 – $420,000 – 1 – PPOR
    5 – $510,513 – 1 – Investment
    6 – $536,038 – 1 – Investment
    8 – $590,582 – 1 – Investment
    9 – $620,531 – 1 – Investment
    10 – $651,558 – 1 – Investment

After 10 years in running this scenario, the outcomes are as follows:

Portfolio Value – $4,661,503
    Cumulative Debt – $3,668,078
    Cumulative Expenses – $219,758
    Net Equity (After Expenses) – $606,541
    Loan to Value – 79.39%
    Net Cash-flow After Tax – -$17,129

Example:

Scenario 2 – Investing and Renting First
    Purchase Year – Purchase Price – Number of Props Purchased – Type Of Purchase
    1 – $420,000 – 1 – Investment
    2 – $441,000 – 1 – Investment
    4 – $486,203 – 1 – Investment
    5 – $510,213 – 1 – Investment
    6 – $536,038 – 1 – Investment
    7 – $562,840 – 1 – Investment
    8 – $590,582 – 2 – Investment

After 10 years in running this scenario, the outcomes are as follows:

Portfolio Value – $6,515,579
    Cumulative Debt – $4,961,299
    Cumuative Expenses – $130,000
    Net Equity (After Expenses) – $1,424,280
    Loan to Value Ratio of Portfolio – 76.15%
    Net Cash-flow After Tax – $3,435

In summary, by investing in property first based on the variables mentioned above being identical in both scenario’s, you would in fact be $817,739 better off from an equity perspective (Total assets less total debt) and $20,564 per year at year 10 better off from a net cashflow perspective as well as $89,758 better off from an expense/cost of living perspective over the 10 year period. This of course would put the example purchaser here well on their way to achieving their financial goal of $1,500 per week income after all expenses and tax have been taken into account and then give them a greater choice as to where they would buy their principal place of residence if that’s what they wanted to do.

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Cars are a waste of money. Sell the car, buy something cheaper and put the money in property.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Simon PlummerSimon Plummer
    Participant
    @plummer

Definitely sell the car.

If you can sell your old car also and upgrade to one that suits your needs better for $5k, you’re going to be $45k better off and have a car that suits your needs. In 5 years time you’re going to end up with a not brand-new car anyway so you’d rather be $45k closer to financial freedom.

Once sold, get rid of that $30k debt. You’ll then have $28k savings. Then put the head down and keep saving.

I would err on the side of buying an IP. It sounds as though you have a comfortable living situation and buying your own place would be more of an upgrade than an investment decision.

Realistically, now is the time for your to delay gratification. Preferable now that when you have a baby on the scene. Use this windfall wisely.

Profile photo of PHPPHP
    Participant
    @php

Hey scottyboy,

typing all that down means you really have thought all this through. kudos to that, some people just don’t give much time and effort in writing everything down and tracking their income and expenses. Just to help with the numbers.

Note*
    You mentioned you are expecting a pay increase of around 15k and you are also mindful of a household income decrease of 20k. So this sort of balances it out. But lets just prepare for the worst and just consider a household income decrease of 20k.
    Can you please provide your individual income? I know you mentioned 115k combined gross income. but we are only reducing her income alone. Also, with the baby, the monthly allocated expenses by lenders will change in value. Their calculation of a couple with no kids expenses is obviously lower than a couple with 1 dependent. Take this into consideration too.

Regarding the old car, you also mentioned that you have 5k owed to you that u can get back. If you sell your old car and get the 5k owed, you will have 10k to buy the car that you need for the family keeping in mind the baby coming soon. This way you will not have to touch the savings u have set aside.

Cash Position = 33,000 (20k+13k)

5,216 (monthly income)
    -3,716 (monthly expenses)
    ——–
    1,500 (leftover for savings)
    +1,000 (added if personal loan is paid off)
    ——–
    2,500 (increased cashflow savings with no debt)
    +1,516 (add back rental expenses if you decided to buy PPOR)
    -2,200 (very rough calculation of monthly repayment on a 470k-480k loan, Security value 500k, LVR of 95%)
    +1,083 (250k a week help from your sister. assuming she will stay with you)
    – 300 (Council rates, etc and cash reserve for extra expenses)
    ——–
    2,599 (Leftover per month)

This is where there’ll be a problem, if you want a house similar to the one you’re renting now with your sister. I am guessing, the property that you will be looking at will be around the $500k price range. FHOG is only for new houses, in Campbelltown area, most of the new houses are sold up pretty quickly and the ones left are the House and Land package which will make you wait for about a year. Your deposit alone is not enough to qualify for this price range, you do have the serviceability though and getting rid of the personal debt will increase this too.

at this point, the best option for you really is to sell the car, and continue saving. your problem now is to convince your partner that selling the car is really beneficial for you. As mentioned above, in 5 years time, the 50k value of your car now can only be down to 30k or even 20k depending on how u use it. Alternatively, in 5 years time, you could be in a better position with a few IPs or your own house + IP.
    Obvious choice I hope.

PHP | Mortgage Station Pty Ltd
    http://www.mortgagestation.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Give us a call or send us an email for a free residex report.

Profile photo of scottyboy8289scottyboy8289
    Participant
    @scottyboy8289

Hi Guys,

I greatly appreciate the time you’ve all taken to repsond.

I’ve had great lengthy discussions with her to try convince her, discussed different scenarios and have ultimately left it up to her but have asked her to completely review it from both sides of the fence – read a few magazines (i placed a few on her bedside table haha), forums, etc and then we’ll talk in 2 weeks about where we go from here.

i’ve locked the keys away so the car doesnt get driven until she decides, hopefully subconsiously this will make it feel as if she doesnt have the car :)

hope for the best.

Profile photo of PHPPHP
    Participant
    @php

Hey Scotty,

Hope for the best indeed.
    Try printing pictures of cars with scratches, dents and other damages and include that with the magazine on her bedside.. :)
    Let us know how you go..

PHP | Mortgage Station Pty Ltd
    http://www.mortgagestation.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Give us a call or send us an email for a free residex report.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

You don’t need a car worth $50k. You can have a perfectly good new car for around $15k if needs be. I agree with the others. Sell the car and put the money into an investment.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.