All Topics / Help Needed! / tax for new townhouses:how is tax calculated

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of guranagurana
    Participant
    @anagur

Need help on tax for new townhouses: can anybody please tell me how is tax calculated on the townhouses that we build and sell. For example: i have a block of land and if i construct 4 town houses and sell them individually so is tax applicable on the profit made and if so how is it calculated. your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Profile photo of wilko1wilko1
    Participant
    @wilko1

Depends on your own individual tax position and also the property that you purchase. If subsequently the margin scheme can apply to your development.

If so generically

If you have a end sales value of 2 million. Your max gst could be as high as 200k
    Applying the margin scheme. You pay roughly 10 percent of the difference between purchase price, development and build costs. And then the sale price. Ie bought 500k land, built 1 million. Make 500k profit pay 10 percent of that 50k split over the 4 houses 12.5k gst per house.

Then after you pay gst you pay based off your own individual tax rate. Which is variable.

And if property held in a company then your flat 29-30 percent.

Sometimes better to split sales over 2 financial years if your only development. Or a period where one partner might not be working as much. To take advantage of that years Lower income.
    And or retaining the equity in one property and keep as rental.

The above is pretty basic. Speak to a accountant. With semi accurate development costs land costs and sales costs. To work your liabilities

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Profit = income – expenses.

its as simple as that.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.