All Topics / Help Needed! / Advise sought Re: Government housing leasing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of C.GeorgeC.George
    Participant
    @ctg010386

Hi all,

I write to you all with a lot of excitement as I,ve just this week put a deposit down on my first investment property on the Central Coast of N.S.W and I believe it ticks all the boxes in my criteria, it has a long term tenant on a government housing lease who has lived in the home since it was built 3 years ago and she has just recently signed on for another 3 years which to me sounds like excellent news as I,ve been told the government guarantee’s rent for the term of the lease only problem is I don’t know anything about government leasing and have had trouble finding any reliable info.
    A few questions spring to mind like would I need a property manager for a government lease, (I,ve been told I wouldn’t need one)
    does the government or tenant pay a bond, are rent increase’s scheduled and fair, if the tenant damages the property will the government fix it to the prior standard, what type of insurance would be appropriate for a government leased property etc… please help!

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi C.George,
    Congratulations !! It is always a big step to buy that first investment property. Well done!!!

Re Govt Housing, the only one I am vaguely familiar with is “DHA” (Defence Housing Australia). They provide Management, guarantee a regular rental, fit new carpets and paint after a pre-determined time (6 years?? or 9?? not sure) and/or at end-of-lease.

They do charge a fee for this – back when I was sussing it out, their charge was 15% – sounded a bit high, but that should be offset by the rental guarantee and the “make everything right at end of lease”. Have a read-up on them – only because I would think other Govt Depts would likely use a similar set-up.

I never did purchase a DHA place, but have met a few who have (and seem OK with it all). Hope that helps,

Benny

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hiya

Congrats on the purchase.

It’s important that you find out what type of lease is in place as some lenders aren’t overly keen on certain types – take DHA for instance, some won’t go above 80%….not that common and is often easy to get around but something to check with your lender before submitting an app.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.