All Topics / Help Needed! / Main Residency to completey avoid CGT?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of BenBen
    Participant
    @albanga

Hi All,

I have made a few recent posts on this forum as I am just about to start the exciting venture of building a townhouse at the rear of my property (planning permit approved). My brother and I both own the property and the development will be a joint venture so everything is 50/50.

Our plan is to develop the rear property and sell for profit and then with the money earnt I will buy my brother out of the front property. My brother walks away with a profit and I walk away with a home in an area I love. In theory it sounds great but i am very fearful of the CGT eating up all our profit.

Which brings me to my question, i have read that you are exempt from paying CGT if you can prove the property is your main residency for 12 months. So my thought was my brother and I would move into the rear property once completed and then sell after 12 months. During that time we would satisfy all the criteria that the ATO refer to as making it your main residency and whilst we live in that residency we would rent out the front property.

Once the year passes we would then sell the property to avoid the CGT and then I would move back into the front property and make the purchase from my brother.

If that is all possible then I guess some additional questions would be:

When could you technically claim a developing property as your main residency? For example could i begin from lock-up stage? I would not be living in the property as construction would still be going on for a few months but for the purpose of the 12 month exemption it would only then require me to actually live in the property for say 9 months.

Also once I move back into the front property does the 12 month main residence exemption clock re-set? The reason i ask this is because my brother lived in this property for 15 months but recently moved out. After he lives in the rear property for the 12 months then he will probably want to sell me the front property immediately so would he then have to pay CGT on that? OR because he previously lived in it for over 12 months would he be exempt?

Sorry if I am all over the place with this but just trying to clarify the details.

I also understand that we need to weigh up the cost of the CGT on an immediate sale after build versus the increased loan of say 175k each which we require for the build.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I’m not up on construction and CGT.

So just checking that I have this right- You AND your brother both own the existing property with a house on it?

You can only claim the exemption on one property at a time so if you move in to the back one and want to claim that you will lose the exemption on the front property.

You can claim CGT exemtion if you live in it or did from day one (then rented it out for less that 6 years).

I’d speak to a propery savvy accountant BEFORE taking on any development. Yopu mjat save yourselves many thousands of dollars by getting the settup correct. Once it is set up incorrectly you cannot fix it.

You may be better splitting ownership then building?? There will also be stamp duty on the changfeover in ownership to consider. It’s great to ask queations on forums but when it comes to your finances it’s best to get proffessional advice.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

i have read that you are exempt from paying CGT if you can prove the property is your main residency for 12 months. So my thought was my brother and I would move into the rear property once completed and then sell after 12 months. 

I’ve never heard of this before!

You should get some tax advice as there are many isssues and you have left out many things. It might be better to transfer now before developing, depending on a few things.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of BenBen
    Participant
    @albanga

Thanks for the quick replies.

I definitely think you are both correct and this is something I should be discussing with a property savvy accountant before we even begin the development.

Time for a Google search!

Cheers

info – Michelangelo Catering
    Participant
    @info-michelangelo-catering

Ben, let me know how you go if you need some help regarding this. Can get you in touch with a good accountant that will explain the law to you simply whilst providing the appropriate documentation you will need to support the transaction.

Agree with prior posts though, please do this BEFORE you start any work.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Terry I don’t know why your quote says I said that. The OP said that.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Terry I don’t know why your quote says I said that. The OP said that.

Sorry Catalyst, I must have replied to your post and chopped out the other bits!

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.