All Topics / Help Needed! / Advice on Buying off the plan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of glengaryglengary
    Participant
    @jamesbi

Hey guys I am pretty new to buying off the plan. I was interested in buying off the plan land and home package for my 1st PPOR. I have been reading a few mix opinions about off the plan saying good and not so good. I wanted to get your feedbacks positive and negative, what do you reckon??

Thanks

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

The good:

1. Massive depreciation benefits (which of course is only applicable for investments)

The bad:

1. You cannot see the workmanship until the product is delivered which by then is too late to back out

2. You generally pay a premium for a new dwelling vs an established dwelling

3. Valuations may be an issue depending on the area and this may significantly impact your ability to complete the purchase

My vote would be no to the OTP. Invest in a better area, wait and then build on the land at a much later time. You can always change the house but never the location of the land.

Is the property a house and land package or are you buying land and then buying?

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

One of the biggest issues with OTP is an inability to arrange finance until the property is close to completion.

Therefore, if your circumstances change during the construction period or the valuation doesn't stack up – you may have issues sourcing finance. If that happens, you stand to lose your deposit and possibly more.

All in all, OTP can work in certain markets (rising ones) but I'm personally not a huge fan of them.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of glengaryglengary
    Participant
    @jamesbi

Thanks the finance shop So are you saying if the area is new or unheard of it is bad?? But better to build a home in an existing suburb that has a current market value??  What if there is no land to buy to build your own home in those suburbs, than how do people build there own homes?? I think I am getting really confused between off the plan and building your own home?? Please help 

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

Off the plan = Normally applies to units or "strata titled properties" with common walls and land , where one developer builds everything and sell you a lot/unit

Land and house package…or buying land and building your self – applies more to freehold/torrent title property. in this case you can normally choose your own builder and deign ( unless it's a house and land package that's set) 

Deciding if this is a good buy or not, depends on the location/ property type/ price and current and predicted market moving forward and lastly obvious your financial ability and objectives. Just asking if " Off the plan" is good or not doesn't help as it's good for some and not for others + it depends where and at what price. 

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Participant
    @jamesbi

Hey Shape, thanks I think I understand now, so off the plan is basically the developers project he develops everything fixed the way he wants it to be i.e floorplan, which you cannot adjust. And home and land package where it is not off the plan gives you the freedom to choose how you would like your home developed?

So basically off the plan developer builds his own project, as the buyer we have no say on how it is developed? Doesnt that sound kind of stupid than buying off the plan?

sorry if this question does sounds stupid, I really don't know and want to learn the basics.

Thank You

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape

^ yea you got the basic.

OTP has it's place, especially for units, so yes even though you can't choose the design it make sense especially if your buying a unit – imagine if a developer is building a 100 unit project and all 100 owners wants different design, that would be a nightmare! as the builder need to maximize the space + apply for council approval.  

Personally im not a big fan of OTP from a investors point of view…

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

Participant
    @jamesbi

Wow thank you Mark the information you shared is awesome, I understand now , its a matter of doing the right homework before you buy, so off the plan could be great if it features everything you have mentioned so there is really no right or wrong answer , its really up to the knowledge of the investor or buyer? Same goes for existing properties if homework is bad same problem?? Am I on the right track on mind frame atm??

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn

It's all in the due diligence. With a market place full of rubbish your job is find the winners. There are around 250,000 properties listed for sale today, of those 1000 would make a great portfolio investment.

We research the market looking for the 1 in 250 property using the rating system we have developed. The system rates each suburb using each of the 40 sets of market data we collect. Most of the data we buy, some we collect off the web using various automated methods.
    From here we score a potential suburb out of a total of 1000 point, 500 points for Statistical indicators and 500 points for Fundamental indicators. Each category is weighted according to it's importance in the demand v supply balance.

We then break these 40 down in four groups:

• Current Demand Drivers
    • Future Demand Drivers
    • Supply Drivers
    • Amenity Drivers

A shortened list of a few of the data sets collected as follows:

Statistical Indicators

1. Number of Days a house/unit in the suburb is on the market –  The lower the better, this shows a higher demand for that type of dwelling in the area. If the number of days have been decreasing over the past six months this is even better
    2. % of vendor discounting – The lower this number the better as it shows that buyers have less choice and less ability to negotiate. It also indicates a suburb could be in high demand
    3. Auction Clearance Rate – The higher the better. Higher numbers indicate a higher demand
    4. Rental Yield – The higher the better as it indicates a higher demand in the area from renters who are prepared to pay more to live there.
    5. % of Stock on Market – The lower this number is the more demand a suburb has and the higher the chance of getting a premium for the property is.
    6. Online Search Interest – Takes the total number of online searches in an area and divides this by the number of properties available for sale in an area. The higher this number, the more potential demand the suburb has and the lower the supply in the market is to for fil the demand
    7. Rental Vacancy Rate – The lower this % the better it is for investors and the more demand a suburb has
    8. Proportion of Renters to Owners – The lower this number the better a suburb’s perception is. Owners have a tendency to look after their properties a little better than renters and therefore lift the perception of an area’s quality.

If these metrics combined give us a rating that indicates the demand is exceeding supply (market is imbalanced), then we move onto the fundamental searches to validate the statistical data.

Fundamental Indicators

1. Proximity to water/ocean.
    2. Views of hills/mountains/district/CBD etc
    3. Transport Infrastructure – Recently announced, in progress or to be shortly started that will reduce commute times to the CBD and increase demand for a suburb.
    4. The ripple effect of close suburb neighbors – If suburbs within close proximity have grown substantially recently, the chances are that the subject suburb will grow quickly in order to maintain a pricing balance between the growth suburb and the subject suburb
    5. Project Booms – Are there any large projects nearby that will create a spike in demand (eg. train lines, water supplies, shipping ports, processing plants)
    6. Ugly Ducklings – Has the suburb been branded rough or ugly in the past and the only problem with the suburb is its reputation? Are private buyers updating their properties in the area? Are developers buying up new land and building new apartments? Are businesses and trendy cafes entering the area now?
    7. Urban Renewal / Government Works – Has the government put forward a proposal to improve the appeal of an area (eg. parks, malls, entertainment, shopping precincts).
    8. Lifestyle Features – Are there any current or planned lifestyle amenities nearby like golf courses, large entertainment precincts, tourist attractions?

If those two searches reveal that the suburb is a potential hot spot, then we drill down to find the best streets within the suburb and find developments within close proximity to those to give the best chance of fast capital gains.

The data houses like Residex, RP Data and SQM Research provide data that fluctuates greatly but is best used as a potential source to gather suburb shortlists for investigation from. The issue with these data providers is that they don't provide past recommendation data, making it hard to gauge their actual performance.

Stopping the trend of a suburb is of particular value when deciding whether a suburb is worth fundamentally investigating. For example, it is no good going off to investigate a suburb that has been growing at 15%p.a. for the past 5 years. Like everything in life, when one area gets too expensive, people will compromise on the next best cheaper alternative until the prices of surrounding less desirable suburbs catch up.

There is so much more that could be written on the topic, but these items will give you a basic template of what you can use to instigate your research model for superior returns of investment properties. 

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Profile photo of Arun BhutaArun Bhuta
    Participant
    @arun-bhuta

Hi Newbie,

I will look at the goal you want to achieve by buying a property and your potential to go in property market.

The OTP are good when you definitely know the area is coming up due various reasons mentioned by Mark.

• You have comparatively low capital now but likely to build over the period of completion due to gift, bonus etc. 
    • You are able to play with extra money and have long term plan to live in place or sure of good rental income.
    • Want to lock in the grants available for property investment.

This many a times boils down to details of the situation you have and what you can afford.

Profile photo of Modernity InvestingModernity Investing
    Participant
    @mark-coburn
    The Newbie Investor wrote:
    Wow thank you Mark the information you shared is awesome, I understand now , its a matter of doing the right homework before you buy, so off the plan could be great if it features everything you have mentioned so there is really no right or wrong answer , its really up to the knowledge of the investor or buyer? Same goes for existing properties if homework is bad same problem?? Am I on the right track on mind frame atm??

Hi The Newbie Investor, I am pleased you got something out of it.

Off-the-Plan or Pre-Built? New or Old?

Do the research and let the numbers tell the story, and then you decide. If we could find finished stock in the areas that rank at the top of our list we would be buying them all asap. Finding stock is always our number one problem and there are no short cuts when you use the research method. 

Modernity Investing
    Email Me

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.