All Topics / Help Needed! / Apartment in Victoria – a few questions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of wilsonmhswilsonmhs
    @wilsonmhs

Hi all

I am looking to purchase an apartment that seems to have decent rental return. However there are a few things that I would like ask you fellow property investors:

1. How do you tell that the apartment is a student accommodation or not? The S32 document does not mention the building being a student accommodation (or I just couldn't find  it), and that the existing lease agreement is based on the REIV Code 135 Residential Tenancy Agreement.  The real estate agent informs that this unit is not within a student accommodation building but I can't just go by their words.

2. I've noticed that some of the units within the development are only available for eligible NRAS tenants. How do I tell that the unit I am looking at is not restricted to NRAS tenants?

I will only place an offer on this apartment if it is not a student accommodation and not restricted to NRAS tenants. I may choice to live in it for now and turn it into my investment property later.

Please advise. Thank you.

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Well first things first

How large  is the apartment    Is it 1 or 2 bedrooms

If one bedroom if its under 50 square meters dont touch it  If its 2 bedroom and is not at lest 65-70 sqm then walk. Make sure you ask for the internal meterage not including the balcony.  

Then how many apartments in the block and finally where is it located. If its in the CBD do not touch it. the city market is over suppled and with 4000 apartments coming out of the ground the market may go down in value not up

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of wilsonmhswilsonmhs
    @wilsonmhs

Thanks for your advice. The apartment is 1 BR just over 50 sq m. It is located in an outer eastern suburb.

Would you be able to shed some light into the questions that I have?

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Wilson,

I see you have joined us quite recently – welcome.   I wish I was able to answer your questions, but I'm afraid they are out of my league. 

I thought I would say Hi, and get this bumped into the "recent" pages of this site.   Hopefully, someone else from down your way – Victoria, maybe Melbourne (?) – will see it and respond with assistance.

Benny

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Wilson

Just out of interest… have you asked competitor agency?

This might be a good time to be a bit of a stalker.  Hang around and ask the people that come out of the building.  Hello, are you a student?  Do you have thousands of student friends that also live in the building?  Did you rent your apartment through your Uni Housing Department?

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Hamish_QHamish_Q
    @hamish_q

Hi Wilson,

Is there a reason you want to invest in Victoria with something that seems quite "involved"?

What's your strategy towards buying there?

H.

Profile photo of BennyBenny
    @benny

Hi Hamish,

Quote:
    Is there a reason you want to invest in Victoria with something that seems quite "involved"?

What's your strategy towards buying there?

It seems wilson wants the option of living in it himself. 

If it is restricted to students or NRAS tenants, then he may not be able to do this.   And having it as his PPOR can be a very sensible way to improve the benefits of his investment.

Benny

Profile photo of Hamish_QHamish_Q
    @hamish_q

Thanks Benny,

So you recommend buying your PPOR and then turning it into a IP later rather than buying it as an IP and renting elsewhere for your own place to live..?

H.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.