All Topics / Help Needed! / Deposit payable on a new build – first purchase

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Hank84Hank84
    Participant
    @hank84

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice to put my mind at rest.

I've got a contract ready to be signed for a unit in Richlands, QLD. It's sort of a town house development and is due finish construction around March.

I have paid $1,000 deposit for the developer (AV Jennings) to take it off the market. In the contract I received now it has a term along the lines of :

Deposit payable $1,000 and

Further deposit payable $9,000 at finance date…

I rang my mortgage broker and because I am using the $15,000 government "Great Start Grant" as my deposit this is not possible. The sales agent advised he is happy for me to change the wording to " … further deposit payable $9,000 at settlement". I assume this puts a liability on me to make sure the $9,000 is still payable if the contract falls over? But if it doesn't settle for whatever reason then surely I dont have to pay the balance of $9,000?

If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. I feel a bit nervous about the deposit thing and dont want to end up losing $10k if it falls over or if my finance cant get approved in time etc…

Thanks,

Hank

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

read the contract carefully. based on what you have said if the contract falls over there would be no settlement and no further deposit payable, but what other clauses are there. Get a lawyer to review.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Surely your Solicitor would have reviewed the Contract before you had signed it anyway.

Your Broker won't ( hopefully) provide legal advice but should be able to tell you whether the loan will proceed or not fairly quickly.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of KristyHKristyH
    @kristyh

I just put a $1000 deposit on a block of land with $9000 due at finance approval, however the contract fell through under finance and I got my $1000 back.  But definitely get a solicitor to have a look through the contract just to be on the safe side! 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.