All Topics / Help Needed! / Positive or negative geared property?

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of brmiaubrmiau
    Participant
    @brmiau

Does anyone recommend a broker that has achieved these sorts of things in Melbourne?

Even anyone on these forums? I'd like to talk to someone about getting started

Profile photo of JpcashflowJpcashflow
    Participant
    @jpcashflow

Hi Brmiau,

Hope you are well? Firstly good luck with your goal and its great to see people setting goals, So important in life.

These days there seems to be a rush in retiring or "working for your self concept".

For me personally I would never retire, I would get bored and I would drive my wife crazy. But having finical security is another thing and this is something i encourage to every one.

There are various tools and methods to create wealth and we live in interesting times  as well.

you are planning to borrow 2 to 3 million to make 2K a week which = $104,000 income PA per year. Not a bad goal at all!!!!

But if you are looking at leveraging your properties to the HIll I am not sure if this figure can be achvied.

Jpcashflow | JP Financial Group
    http://www.jpfinancialgroup.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Your first port of call in finance :)

Profile photo of iMoneywealthiMoneywealth
    @imoneywealth

The RBA is reducing rates making the property investing very attractive to those seeking yields.  

There is a growing surge of borrowed money into housing, particularly in NSW, where 40% or 2 out of every 5 dollars lent by banks is being used to buy investment properties – the highest proportion in 10 years, last seen in 2003.

And given the likely appreciation of the dollar if they raise rates, that would be better for the overall economy. It does make it less likely the Reserve Bank is going to change rates in the next couple of meetings so the low rates are here to stay, driving prices higher.  This said you should look at the city properties as they are more likely to ride the growth wave and attract most buyers.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    brmiau wrote:
    Does anyone recommend a broker that has achieved these sorts of things in Melbourne?

Even anyone on these forums? I'd like to talk to someone about getting started

Sorry – I missed this last post. You can choose your broker from anywhere in the country. Everything is done via email/phone these days. 

So choose someone you'd feel comfortable dealing with and get in touch – I assume we're all taking on new clients at present.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

If you don't want to buy positive cash flow property in rural areas why not look for property in capital cities either with a granny flat or that you can build a granny flat on. This tends to spike your rental yield and can push you into a cash flow neutral or cash flow positive position if done correctly.

The key is to understand your own financial goals. What you want now and in the future.

Can you afford to negatively gear and live off beans for the next 10 years until you can cash in on your properties? I know I could but my wife would kill me if we were super poor for a long time and thus I wouldn't be around to enjoy the profits anyway.

It's about balancing now with tomorrow and being proactive. Work smarter not harder

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of BoughtWithEquityBoughtWithEquity
    Participant
    @boughtwithequity

It's great that you are beginning to look at real estate investing at such a young age.  Just be very cautious with your borrowing and debt.  Very challenging times are ahead of us and what something is "worth" truly becomes what a cash buyer is willing to pay for it.  You don't want to be so leveraged that your house of cards comes crashing down.  Debt honestly scares me and I prefer all cash or to partner with other cash investors.  The real money in my market isn't made in owning the property, it's partnering with those who know how to get it done and can return double digit returns, (10% to 30%) per deal.  We create shared housing and you may want to consider doing that even with the property in which you currently reside.  Maybe you take in a renter or two and see how that goes…..then buy the next property to live in and back-fill the space in the old place with a shared housing renter.  Just a thought.  Maybe you build-out what we call an in-law suite in the basement level of the next place…makes a prime rental when you move onto the next place.  Granted, I'm from across the pond so no idea where my idea has any merit in your part of the world but I would think that it does.

I recently got laughed out of a local real estate investors group when I mentioned that a recent cash partner of mine had gotten over 30% return on a $30k US investment in just under 6 months.  The real return was actually a little over 40% in 6 months.  We partnered to buy a very low end townhouse unit I had found…it was a 2bed/2bath and I converted the living room to a 3rd bedroom.  We bought it for $15k cash and spent $15k on repairs.  We created shared housing out it and got $1,500 a month in gross rents.  Bear in mind that we rent rooms as shared housing so we furnish the common areas and include basic utils in our rentals.  Once the rents were stable, we sold it to a passive investor for $55k.  My agreement with cash partners is 10% plus half the profit on the sale so he took home $3k in interest and $11k in profit share.  Our back-end buyer purchased a property worth about $80k based on cash-flow and we guaranteed him a 10% cash-on-cash return for 18 months.  If it doesn't perform, we have to make up the difference out of our own pockets.  I let them laugh…the only laughing my partners are doing is laughing all the way to the bank!  The cost structure in Australian wouldn't allow for my model to work but I'm certain that shared housing works in almost any market.  Housing options in the US is very limited for renters with credit or income challenges so the market for shared housing is huge here and likely will be for another 10 years.

Keep reading and learning….I do the same every day!  all the best.  Andy

Profile photo of goneosgoneos
    @goneos

A lot of the advice above is very good.  Don't be too fussed about where your broker is as it's the skills you need, not the face to face time.  My broker is in Kempsey NSW and I have only ever met him once.  He's sharp and quick to respond, which is what I want so that I can move fairly quickly.

The advice on free seminars is good as I've learnt a heap from them.  One in particular gave me just one tinny bit of info and it will make me over 500k profit in my current deal. There is also so much great info on here and you'll pretty quickly get a feel for who you want to work with.

The best advice I can give you is to lean as much as you can about what you want to do so that when you do talk to the professionals they are only confirming what you already know.  If they disagree with you then that is even better, but make them convince you of why.  The only other thing i would say is to not neglect asset protection.  It is easier to set things up right the first time and not try to fix them up later.  I'm speaking from experience on this one.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.