All Topics / Help Needed! / Professional Advice

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of WillisPWillisP
    Participant
    @willisp

Hello,

The wife and I started our investment journey about three years ago and currently have 3 IPs (standalone mortgages and all P&I). I never enlisted the services of a professional advisor as circumstances kind of snowballed, but I am now at the point where I need to engage the services of a professional to review our loan structures and offer further direction to achieve a successful portfolio. I am open to any advice from members of the forum, however, I am also seeking information regarding the most appropriate type of professional to engage in a fee for service exchange and how much should I be expected to pay for this service/advice. One of the main reasons why I never sought professional advice from the beginning was that I did not want to be fleeced by some shonk. 

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Will

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Depends on what you mean by structure/. Brokers can advise on the credit side and lawyers on the legal side – asset protection, taxation, succession issues etc.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

It sounds like you want a mortgage broker. If so there are some good ones recommended on this forum.

Or is it advice you want on where to take your portfolio/where/how to move forward?

I've tried many financial advisers over the years but have given up now. They only push managed funds and no very little about property.

Where are you located? I've found all my answers through forums and networking with like minded people.

Profile photo of WillisPWillisP
    Participant
    @willisp

Hello Terryw,

I want to explore the options of refinancing the mortgages to interest only and to ascertain if there are better rates out there that will suit my circumstances. I don’t believe that I am going about my financing as effectively as I should be which is also applicable to my taxation strategy.

I am thinking that I need to consult with someone who can look at my financial circumstances and provide guidance on the best course to take, then re-structure the mortgages if applicable and organise a suited taxation strategy.

Loving the Diamond Joe Quimby.

Participant
    @willisp

Hello Catalyst,

I do believe that I will need a mortgage broker in the near future, but right now I need to chat with someone about the best way for me to move forward without any hard sell, I have been way too passive in my planning and want to get on top of it so I can keep moving forward. 

I am located in Port Hedland and I do need to be more active in getting up to speed with some networking. 

Thanks mate.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Willis

If the current properties are investment loans and you have or may likely have potential non deductible debt in the future then an interest only with offset account maybe on one of the loans might be the way forward.

Difficult to advise without any details but most of the long term brokers on the site here certainly are not in the business of fleecing forum clients.

A portfolio structured correctly should mean you can carry on buying and building your investments.

I say to every client the only hurdle to owning 40 + properties is the ability to show on paper you can support the borrowings and the coming up with the necessary deposits etc required on each new purchase.

There are a few ways to get over these but depends largely on the clients personal circumstances.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Willis

Without knowing too much of the finer details – having all IP loans set up as P&I normally means that there's room for some improvement with your current structure.

Do you have non-deductible debt such as an owner occupied mortgage? If so, you want to knock that debt on the head first – before paying down deductible debt.

Generally speaking  – when refinancing to IO, I normally look to use your existing lender first – that will save on any refi costs.

p.s – a lot of brokers don't charge a fee, most of us are remunerated from the lender via an upfront and trailing commission for arranging your loan – and this doesn't mean that you pay more for your loan.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Participant
    @willisp

Hi Richard,

We do have an offset account linked to one of the mortgages, as well as paying an extra few dollars into each of the loans. We also intend to keep building on our investments, however I do not think that the current P&I structure is as effective as it could be. 

Apologies if it sounded as though I made a generalisation about brokers, it really was not my intention.

Many thanks for the insights,

Will

Participant
    @willisp

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for the information. The only nondeductible debt we have is a small personal loan, we will stop paying extra into the mortgages until it is finalised. Right now I believe that I need to seek some structuring advice in order to keep moving forward.

Cheers,

Will

Participant
    @willisp

Thank you all for the responses, I understand that everyone’s time is valuable, but would any of you guys be able to assist further if I sent you a PM with additional and more specific information regarding my circumstances?

Participant
    @jamie-m
    WillisP wrote:
    Hi Jamie,

Thank you for the information. The only nondeductible debt we have is a small personal loan, we will stop paying extra into the mortgages until it is finalised. Right now I believe that I need to seek some structuring advice in order to keep moving forward.

Cheers,

Will

Hi Will

Is there any chance you may purchase another owner occupied property in the future? If so, will you need to take out a loan for it? If so, then interest only on all loans with an offset linked to one would be more ideal structure. If there's no chance of purchasing another owner occupied property in the future then paying down your IP loans isn't necessarily a bad thing – unless cashflow is an issue.

You only need one offset account set up.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Hi Will,

How is the market in Port Headland at the moment? I have a few clients developing land up there and it seems it is doing a lot better than some other areas in the North West. I, unfortunately, have just finished building he in Karratha and it seems I will get around $200k less for it than i would have 6 months ago.

Regards

Participant
    @willisp

Hi Jamie,

For the foreseeable future we will not be owner occupying. The current plan is to purchase another IP as soon as we can build up another deposit, however the three P&I mortgages seem to be a bit it restrictive, I am thinking that I approach the bank and explore the option of refinancing two of the mortgages into interest only and keep one P&I until we pay it down a bit more.

Thanks for the info,

Will

Participant
    @willisp

Hello Alistair,

This is purely anecdotal based on my observation and interaction with others, but the market seems to have eased off a bit, there are a few developments occurring at present (residential and commercial) and the shopping centre in South Hedland has undergone some expansion. As for the current rental market, it seems to be inclined to towards renters for when the subject is raised people are quick to say that they now get more value for their money in comparison to past performance. I have also heard of some serious reductions in sales prices.

BHP is still pushing ahead with the port expansion, so there may be an influx of contractors pushing up the rents when that occurs, but it is also just as likely that any gain here may be offset by the current and future developments as well as potential FIFO arrangements, other people may tell you otherwise.

Short term there is probably still room for money to be made if your clients negotiate a bargain and develop, but at the already high buy in costs who really knows what the development will be worth in the long term.

Social media may also provide you with more insight about what is occurring in the area and what those of us who live here think, if you ever get the time, log onto the ‘Everything Hedland’ Facebook page and note peoples thoughts of some of the council management issues amongst others.

It’s been a while since I have visited Karratha, but I do remember the scale of developments that were occurring at the time- there were some serious estates being established, I hope that you eventually come out ahead with your build.

Regards,

Will

Participant
    @jamie-m
    WillisP wrote:
    Hi Jamie,

For the foreseeable future we will not be owner occupying. The current plan is to purchase another IP as soon as we can build up another deposit, however the three P&I mortgages seem to be a bit it restrictive, I am thinking that I approach the bank and explore the option of refinancing two of the mortgages into interest only and keep one P&I until we pay it down a bit more.

Thanks for the info,

Will

Sounds like a plan. Some banks will do it with relative ease – others will require a whole new application.

If you want maximum flexibility, and assuming you're disciplined with money, then perhaps consider setting all loans up as IO and link an offset to one – and then park all of your spare cash in the offset.

This blog entry I wrote for API magazine explains the concept.

Cheers

Jamie

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry

Thanks for the comments Will. The developments we have financed are already pre-sold, that hasn't been a problem. I'm pretty concerned about the settlement risk on these projects though as the sales prices, while currently supported by the market, are very high. Hopefuly the activity you mention helps keep prices high for a little while. Don't worry about my sob story, I'm still going to do OK in that project.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm
    WillisP wrote:
    Thank you all for the responses, I understand that everyone’s time is valuable, but would any of you guys be able to assist further if I sent you a PM with additional and more specific information regarding my circumstances?

Hi Will

Any of the brokers that have posted would serve you well – you could send them a PM with additional info, but pick one, and stick with him with the intent to do something.  It wouldn't be polite to have someone do a bunch of analysis and research for you "just out of interest".  You would be surprised how many people think it is OK to do that to brokers.  I love it that you said you are aware everyone's time is valuable.  Kudos to you – your manners are lovely!

Kind Regards,

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @willisp

Hi Jamie,

I have read the linked blog entry and it definitely sounds as if interest only will allow the flexibility for us to keep moving forward, I crunched the numbers last night and if we continue to pay the principal into the offset account, we should be able build up capital much quicker than what we are achieving now.

Would you mind if I sent you a PM with further information? I appreciate the information that you have provided and I believe that a broker would most likely be able to negotiate a better deal.

Regards,

Will

Participant
    @willisp

No problems, obviously I am no expert, but flick me a PM if you ever need any information on what is going on up here. Great to hear that you still doing ok with your project.

Regards,

Will

Participant
    @willisp

Hello Jacqui,

Thank you. I completely agree with your comment and can understand how frustrating it would be, the main reason why I haven’t sent an unsolicited PM and will not do so. I am waiting until it is okayed by one of the guys that responded. 

Kind regards,

Will

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.