All Topics / General Property / Buying an investment property

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of nkrasnnkrasn
    @nkrasn

I live 20km from the CBD and I am interested in buying an investment property closer to the CBD to reduce commuting times.
    My home is new and I am not sure I want to sell it right now in order to buy closer to the CBD.
    If I buy an investment property, I know I need to live in it first so at least I have the option to declare which of the two properties is my home (for tax purposes) later down the track.
    Does anyone know HOW I long I would need to live in the investment property?
    Do I have to live in the investment property straight away upon purchase or can I leave it for a bit (so long as it is within the 6 yrs?)
    Could I leave my current home empty but services connected whilst I live in the investment property closer to the CBD whilst I decided whether or not to sell my home 20km from CBD? Or for tax purposes would I need to disconnect services at my current home and connect new electricity/ water services etc at the property closer to the CBD.

cheers

Nat

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop

Speak to an accountant and broker ASAP and run the numbers. The glaringly obvious point is that your current property is new so if you converted it into an investment property you may be able to claim deprecriation benefits. How will this affect the overall picture?

Also which CBD are you talking about?

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Profile photo of nkrasnnkrasn
    @nkrasn

Hi Shahin

I am referring to Melbourne CBD. My house is 7 yrs old. It was built 7 yrs ago. It is not new exactly.

The tax a/ct told me it would not be wise to rent out existing property and move into a new property close to CBD because I will have to pay tax on the rental income from 1st home. He said it would be better to sell it and buy a new one. But I want to keep both properties until I decide whether I want to move into the investment property (close to CBD)  down the track (after I buy it of course)

But I like your thinking!

cheers

Nat

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Nat

Whether you sell or keep the property comes down to the costs of holding relative to achievable growth.

For instance, if it's costing $5k a year to keep – you'd want to be reasonably confident that you'll recoup this via capital growth over the long term.

Look at current market conditions, future infrastructure plans and any other key drivers that could add to growth when deciding whether to keep.

If you decide to keep both – structure the loans carefully and avoid crossing.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of PLCPLC
    Participant
    @plc

Hi Nat,

As you mentioned that you would have to pay tax on the rental income and your accountants advice on selling the property, it sounds like you would be positively gearing the current property if you rented it out. If so, that's not necessarily a bad thing. All comes down to the numbers.

From what I understand you can move into the new property (don't understand why you are calling it an investment if you intend living in it), and still declare your current property as your main residence for CGT purposes.

However in the end there will be some CGT to pay down the track as you can only claim one of them at any time as your PPOR.

Cheers

Tom

PLC | Phoenix Loan Consulting
    Email Me | Phone Me

Melbourne based Mortgage Broker | Making Finance Simple

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

No minimum time period is specified in the legislation. Must genuniely make the property your main residence.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of TheFinanceShopTheFinanceShop
    Participant
    @thefinanceshop
    nkrasn wrote:
    Hi Shahin

I am referring to Melbourne CBD. My house is 7 yrs old. It was built 7 yrs ago. It is not new exactly.

The tax a/ct told me it would not be wise to rent out existing property and move into a new property close to CBD because I will have to pay tax on the rental income from 1st home. He said it would be better to sell it and buy a new one. But I want to keep both properties until I decide whether I want to move into the investment property (close to CBD)  down the track (after I buy it of course)

But I like your thinking!

cheers

Nat

Rightio – then that is a different story. You may be able to keep both. The other thing to consider in this scenario is CGT. Again looks of different elements to consider along side doing the numbers so speak to an accountant and broker and set up a clear strategy. 

TheFinanceShop | Elite Property Finance
    http://www.elitepropertyfinance.com
    Email Me | Phone Me

Residential and Commercial Brokerage

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.